WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: HWY 431 Parking

Default HWY 431 Parking

I'm planning a hike from Adams Gap, across Cheaha to Hwy 431, but I'm concerned about parking where the Pinhoti crosses 431.

Any of you got any ideas other than just parking on the shoulder?

I wouldn't park there. If you don't mind hiking another mile and three quarters north you can park on forest service road 518 just off of Highway 281. I've done that in the past.

Try going south on 431 for less than half a mile to the first house on the right and ask that man can you park in his yard. Maybe offer him 5 bucks or so. I forget his name right now. He's given us water and held food resupply for us before.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Images

I have parked before at the C-store one half mile south on 431.
    It is also a good place to re-supply.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your future plans.

The access rd to the parking area at the 431 trailhead has been washed out.

I also have had good luck with the fellow that lives in the 1st house south of the 431 crossing. He happened to be home as I drove by and he said I could leave my food bag inside his bar-b-q grill under the carport even though I was hoping he had a place more secure against "critters". I feel he would agree to let someone park a car there if we offered to pay him a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ednotmilkman View Post
    I also have had good luck with the fellow that lives in the 1st house south of the 431 crossing. He happened to be home as I drove by and he said I could leave my food bag inside his bar-b-q grill under the carport even though I was hoping he had a place more secure against "critters". I feel he would agree to let someone park a car there if we offered to pay him a bit.

Road repaired, Gate closed.

Update.. The gate is still locked as of 9.3.16. Barely room for one car with the barricade in place.

Gate was opened on October 1 and is currently open. The gate should remain open October 1-April 1.

Good to know...thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    Gate was opened on October 1 and is currently open. The gate should remain open October 1-April 1.

++ New Posts ++