WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Cell/Data service at AT crossing CT route 55?

Hi;
    I am planning a section hike starting at Manitou road in NY and ending at CT route 55, where I will get Uber to pick me up and take me to the train at Wingdale NY. Can anyone tell me whether or not I will be able to get Internet access at that point?
    Since Uber will not accept advance pick-up reservations, I will have to be able to arrange for my pickup at or close to that point.
    I have found that sometimes I can get Internet (data) but not cellular (voice). Strange, but it happened to me at William Brien shelter in Harriman last week.
    I have a Motorole Moto e phone, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Arden

Images

Doesn't look too good per http://opensignal.com. Much better if you hike about 4 miles past the state line to Bulls Bridge, especially if you walk the quarter mile east of the trail to Rt. 7.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Doesn't look too good per http://opensignal.com. Much better if you hike about 4 miles past the state line to Bulls Bridge, especially if you walk the quarter mile east of the trail to Rt. 7.
    That map shows no coverage at all within Harriman SP, and yet i was able to get a 3G signal at Brien shelter - but cell signal was poor. Had to climb Letterrock Mtn to get a call through.
    I have installed a couple of apps that should help me locate a good spot. One is for WiFi, the other for data/cell. It is possible that I can find an open Wifi. I have Optimum at home, so I can get onto any public hotspot by Optimum. All of their new routers have a public hotspot that can be accessed by any subscriber.
    If I can't get online and request Uber, I will just have to start hiking along the road. I don't know how bad the traffic is, but a Google street view shows a fairly good chance I could walk along the edge of the road. I will be doing this walk during daylight - not like my walk along US route 6 in Peekskill last week.

Journal Entries

I just did a Google street-view walk along the road between AT and Wingdale train station, and it looks walkable - in case I can't get Uber. 4 miles, nice shoulders/grass open land on sides of road. Doesn't look like much traffic until you reach route 22, but again there is a good shoulder and/or wide grasslands to walk on. That is, unless there is snow on the road. If that's the case, then walking is not an option. In that case, if I can't reach Uber, I will have to continue north on the AT until...

Yes, it is walkable but not the safest walk in the twisty sections. If possible, wear a high-viz item, walk facing traffic, and be prepared to ditch off the shoulder into the weeds if necessary.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

For what it's worth, I know that we made a phone call at that road crossing in 2009 using Verizon.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

you'll be fine.

Journal Entries

I have a backup plan. If I cannot get Uber from the AT at CT route 55, I can backtrack to the AT station at Pawling. Since trains don't stop there on weekdays, I can spend any time I have continuing north on the AT, then backtracking.

++ New Posts ++