WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default The ATC has gone mad

Really, they have.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Journal Entries

Take that BSP

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Take that BSP
    What does this have to do with BSP?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    What does this have to do with BSP?
    Where have you been? BSP does not like the AT thru hike. They state it consumes a disproportional amount of their very limited resources. They have sent a letter to ATC stating such.

As such it would seem to be against BSP wishes to promoting the thru hike via this bobblehead. But the ATC seems determined to allow people access to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Really, they have.

image.jpg
    it's about the $$$

Blasphemy! What next, red cups at Starbucks?

Where have you been? BSP does not like the AT thru hike. They state it consumes a disproportional amount of their very limited resources. They have sent a letter to ATC stating such.

As such it would seem to be against BSP wishes to promoting the thru hike via this bobblehead. But the ATC seems determined to allow people access to the trail.
    What does Bill Bryson have to do with thru-hiking?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Blasphemy! What next, red cups at Starbucks?
    How much better it would have been if they featured a DVD like this one along side all that AWITW mush:

http://thelongstarttothejourney.com

A big part of the ATCs mission is education and inspiration-- and they really missed an opportunity this time around.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    What does Bill Bryson have to do with thru-hiking?
    What does Jesus Christ have to do with Christianity?

What does Jesus Christ have to do with Christianity?
    Jesus (according to legend) finished his mission.

Bryson didn't.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Jesus (according to legend) finished his mission.

Bryson didn't.
    Yes OK I admit, much more like what does the Paul have to do with Christianity would be more accurate, but the point remains, as does Paul's churches.

Rick -- if Chris' movie isn't being sold at the ATC store, he's missing a big opportunity. I mean, why isn't it? That would be a mystery. On the other hand it's only been available in DVD for a couple of months now.

I know ALDHA featured Chris' movie more than a year ago, maybe it's time ATC did the same. Or is that over-exposure?

Default ATC education efforts;

And some people say we have no sense of humor...

ATC did not miss the boat on education with the movie. ATC significantly expanded its education efforts in advance of the movie. We formed our A Walk in the Woods Mitigation Task Force last fall to develop strategies to manage increased use. Some of the initiatives were education-related, including:

• Becoming certified by Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics to provide Master Educator courses
    • Teaching Leave No Trace master educator courses
    • Funding, supporting, and promoting a new series of Leave No Trace videos (phenomenal volunteer Tom Banks gets credit for being the driving force behind them)
    • Expanding the number of ridgerunners, especially in Georgia (more next year)
    • Developing a thru-hiker workshop accreditation program (still underway)

Depending on how you define education, you could also include our efforts to educate prospective thru-hikers about alternative thru-hike itineraries that help minimize impacts by dispersing use. Our voluntary thru-hiker registration promoted Leave No Trace.

Other initiatives focused on analyzing camping impacts in Georgia and building more campsites.

Chris "Frost" Gallaway's video is available from ATC in DVD and Blu-Ray format at https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalo...d=825&compid=1.

I guess some one needs to hang out on Springer Mountain this coming spring and do a one question survey : "Did the Walk in the woods movie inspire you to hike the AT?" Only then would we know what, if any, impact the movie had.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post

Chris "Frost" Gallaway's video is available from ATC in DVD and Blu-Ray format at https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalo...d=825&compid=1.
    Absolutely correct.

It can be found on page 7 of the 16 page catalog, along with 5 other DVDs about thru hiking.

Those who decide to spend money on Frost's account will find -- in my opinion -- a joyous account of what the AT has to offer.

To my way of thinking his work is the kind of story that the ATC should feature --and even promote -- to its membership, and in their catalog in particular.

It tells the story those of us who love the trail know well, and want to share with others.

The sad sad thing is that I would wager a weeks salary that most everyone at the ATC would agree with that-- and yet, it is Byson's work that is featured on the cover.

I think there should be a Lone Wolf bobblehead, and a Baltimore Jack bobblehead.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    I think there should be a Lone Wolf bobblehead, and a Baltimore Jack bobblehead.
    I make a motion for a Benton MacKye bobblehead.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I guess some one needs to hang out on Springer Mountain this coming spring and do a one question survey : "Did the Walk in the woods movie inspire you to hike the AT?" Only then would we know what, if any, impact the movie had.
    I'm guessing it wasn't very much. The movie was terrible and most of the folks who I saw in the theater looked like their cars were parked in handicap spots.

No doubt, at the theatre I was at they were mall walkers not long distance hikers

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Section Hiker

Quote Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
    No doubt, at the theatre I was at they were mall walkers not long distance hikers

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
    Me too! There was no one in the half full theater who was going to be embarking on any trail. Kid you not, there were walkers and oxygen tanks. Outside of my son, I was by decades the youngest person in the place. That's Redford's audience--not able bodied adventurers. The book inspired people (for reasons left to another conversation), the movie, imho, not so much.

As for the bobblehead, I, too, groaned when I pulled that outta the mailbox yesterday. However, the ATC is looking for supporters with money, not hikers. Betting all those seniors in the theater have money...

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++