WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Shelters are mess magnets, litter magnets, themselves litter (but never mind that). I've witnessed disheartening scene at so many of them.
    And in the next few years I imagine we'll get to see some Bill Bryson bobbly-head dolls at each one!

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Man, thank goodness the ATC isn't selling plain red cups this holiday season . . .
    Help me out with the red cup thing. I have seen them mentioned with something to do with Starbucks. What is the deal with them? What is everyone teasing about with them? I don't go to Starbucks enough to get the joke.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Help me out with the red cup thing. I have seen them mentioned with something to do with Starbucks. What is the deal with them? What is everyone teasing about with them? I don't go to Starbucks enough to get the joke.
    I pm'ed you to avoid thread drift - and furthering absurd controversies.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 11-14-2015 at 15:52.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

That won't stop 'em.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

The decision to feature a Bill Bryson bobble head doll AND his books AND his DVDs on the cover of the ATCs catalogue deserves to be mocked.

Is is a big deal in the context of all the great things the ATC does?

Of course not.

Just worth noting that the ATC of TODAY saw fit to feature Bill Bryson's and Robert Redford's work TO ITS MEMBERSHIP over that of more humble origins the THEY KNOW FULL WELL better captures the heart and soul of the trail they LOVE.

Given the HIGH REGARD most of us hold the organization, it probably takes someone like me take issue with that DETAIL a public forum. That said, I feel confident that more than a few have had similar thoughts.

As organizations grow, they can change character-- and little things can send a loud message.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    Attachment 32613Trash just cleaned up from Jerry's Cabin shelter,26 miles north of Hot Springs NC.The trail register there had many SOBO notes.Not all of this mess was left by thru hikers but it's more than I have found in recent years.Next year's NOBO's will once again find full shelters and litter that overwhelms some trail volunteers...
    Makes me sick!! Thx for all you do! I make a point to clean up trash left behind...every bit helps....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    Jesus (according to legend) finished his mission.

Bryson didn't.
    I thought his mission was to bring peace and good will to all of humanity (that and stamp out red cups) He came up short.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    And in the next few years I imagine we'll get to see some Bill Bryson bobbly-head dolls at each one!
    Now, that's funny!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I thought his mission was to bring peace and good will to all of humanity (that and stamp out red cups) He came up short.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Next time I order at Starbucks I'm telling them my name is Bill Bryson. That way I can offend everyone at once.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

BSP asks ATC for help mitigating increased AT hiker impact.
    ATC heavily promotes a movie that most say will increase AT hiker impact.
    It didn't go unnoticed.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    The decision to feature a Bill Bryson bobble head doll AND his books AND his DVDs on the cover of the ATCs catalogue deserves to be mocked.
    C'mon, Rick. It's not like they put the movie on the cover of the ATN.
    Oh, wait...
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    C'mon, Rick. It's not like they put the movie on the cover of the ATN.
    Oh, wait...
    Teej

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Next time I order at Starbucks I'm telling them my name is Bill Bryson. That way I can offend everyone at once.
    Don't forget these guys.

~
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Don't forget these guys.

~
    Gandolf was always my favorite Avenger.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    BSP asks ATC for help mitigating increased AT hiker impact.
    ATC heavily promotes a movie that most say will increase AT hiker impact.
    It didn't go unnoticed.
    So what's the ATC suppose to do, tell people not to hike the trail?

I saw WITW and I doubt it will inspire any of the crowd that was in the theater with me to hike much. Mostly they seemed to be elderly Redford fans.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

youtube vids are bringin' out the "problem hikers" on the AT. lots of them are party vids showin' dopin' and drinkin'.

Journal Entries
    Images

Long before the AT became commerical. I made a decision to support them only in token ways. Cleaning up my area when I have the time and rarely in a minimal way with money. My major support has long been going to the Green Mountain Club. Quite frankly my heart would not be broken if the AT was allowed to become overgrown. I'm not forking over for advertising. The GMC just seems more important to me than individuals ego's., and even they are getting out of line. If grass roots support of the AT fizzles out so will the path. Just think hikers might actually have to carry a map and compass. If it becomes bobblehead commerical. My interest in the AT will become historical. No real interest in a racetrack fronting as a hiking trail, no interest a hiking trail catering the bucket list vacationing type with zero backwoods skills. Not on my dollar. If I were king close her for several years. Cull out the groupies.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    youtube vids are bringin' out the "problem hikers" on the AT. lots of them are party vids showin' dopin' and drinkin'.
    As usual Lone Wolf is correct. WITW probably won't encourage a dozen people to hike the trail. It wasn't even really about the trail.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    There is a certain person who has a pretty visible presence on the Facebook AT groups who has been "producing" thru hiking vids with the dope smoking and party themes.

jurek-celebrate_0.jpg

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++