WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for Aluminum Beer Bottles

I am looking for a place I can get these bottles cheap. I do not drink, so emptying them myself is out of the question. Any suggestions as to where I might find soem to make stoves?

A bar, festivals that don't allow glass, microbrewery, AA, a friend that does drink. Not as easy as you would think.

Redemption centers. Many will sell them back to the public. Find the right one and they will sell them at the cost of the deposit.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Redemption centers. Many will sell them back to the public. Find the right one and they will sell them at the cost of the deposit.
    Hmmm, I wonder if they would trade me cans for bottles pound for pound. I know cans weigh less than the bottles, but I got lots fo the cans to get rid of.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    Hmmm, I wonder if they would trade me cans for bottles pound for pound. I know cans weigh less than the bottles, but I got lots fo the cans to get rid of.
    They might. However, I doubt they are interested in weights. The deposit value is what is important to redemption centers. Again, you have to find the right one. Many will look at you like you are a Martian. Some will save them for you. They might ask for a stove or 2 in return. You can guess how I know this.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

They might. However, I doubt they are interested in weights. The deposit value is what is important to redemption centers. Again, you have to find the right one. Many will look at you like you are a Martian. Some will save them for you. They might ask for a stove or 2 in return. You can guess how I know this.
    Well, here in Alabama everything it done by weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    Well, here in Alabama everything it done by weight.
    I stand corrected.

I've seen Coke in aluminum bottles.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Redemption centers (deposit type cans) are usually by item. Some states have deposits on cans and bottles.
    Recycling center (bulk can recycling) are by weight. Usually found where there is no state deposit on cans and bottles.

Redemption does not equal recycling.

When I was making beer at home (haven't in a couple of years), I would get empty beer bottles from the beer store. In MI, all bottles have a 10 cent deposit. They would rather have the 10 cents then mess with dirty old bottles. I was buying resealable glass bottles, but would be glad to sell any bottles they could get rid of. It helps that we have a bottle deposit. If not, I assume these would be recycled, so you could find a place with a recycling dumpster and go dumpster diving.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My cousin was a driver for the local Pepsi distributor until he tested positive for Coke.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    This is true, but the thing is, the Aluminum Coke bottles are shaped like the old Glass bottles with that hour glass shape, the Aluminum beer bottle are like a long cylinder then with a neck. You can use the bottom 4 inches of the bottle to make a roll over stove, then the next two inches are perfect for making the Fany Feast can stove, and the neck can be used to make an ultralite stove from an old travel size shaving cream can, So from one bottle I can make 3 stoves.

I have several. If you end up not being able to find any, I can mail some to you. They are left overs from when I used to make such stoves. I no longer need them. It is more expensive to mail bottles than to get them off the scrap heap. Therefore, please look. If you can't find any, I can mail you some.

I have several. If you end up not being able to find any, I can mail some to you. They are left overs from when I used to make such stoves. I no longer need them. It is more expensive to mail bottles than to get them off the scrap heap. Therefore, please look. If you can't find any, I can mail you some.
    I may go downtown and ask at some of the bars down there. Just wish I knew of a bar close by that used the metal bottles.

Try to get some 22oz Sapporo cans from an Asian restaurant. Those things looks and feel really solid. They do have a bit of a curve to them, so they may cause the same issues that you mentioned with the Coke bottles. Still might be worth a look though.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    My cousin was a driver for the local Pepsi distributor until he tested positive for Coke.
    I see what you did there!

Journal Entries
    Images

Bud Light Platinum sells 10 oz aluminum bottles. I've seen Coors Light and Budweiser in some also.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Find an apartment building or condo complex that has recycle bins in the trash area. You'll find a good selection of bottles and cans..... Just clean them real well when you get home.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Ask a local bar if u can have them for the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The redemption centers around here (Iowa city, Iowa) they do them by weight but they have the volume of the cans or bottles or whatever figured out so that say 5lbs of cans=$3 or whatever it is. it saves them time and energy sorting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++