WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Grayson Highlands Area Planning

So the week after next I'm planning to head down to the Mt. Rogers area and do some hiking. Can anyone give me more info on doing a loop with the AT, Mt Rogers Trail, and Fairwood Valley Trail? Specifically how long it will end up being as well as the best place to park? Are the side trails marked well? How about the junctions? I think I'll take a little side trip down to Buzzard Rock as well, this area was a highlight of my thru.
    Thanks in advance,
    Young Blood
    AT2015 GA-ME

I've done this hike and really enjoyed it: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/mountrogersbp.htm

I parked at Grindstone which I liked because it was secure AND there's a shower there.

Watch out, the Cliffside trail is a steep descent and killed my calves. Take it slow and you'll be fine. Very nice hike, lots of variety.

grindstone is closed

Images

The National Geographic trails map #318 is a must have for hiking this area.I found most trails well marked at intersections.As Lone Wolf said many USFS campgrounds will be closed.The high country around Grayson Highlands State Park could be very windy and cold even though it may be warmer in valley locations like Damascus.Parking in GHSP near Massie Gap is handy but will close sometime soon.Have a great hike.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner View Post
    The National Geographic trails map #318 is a must have for hiking this area.I found most trails well marked at intersections.As Lone Wolf said many USFS campgrounds will be closed.The high country around Grayson Highlands State Park could be very windy and cold even though it may be warmer in valley locations like Damascus.Parking in GHSP near Massie Gap is handy but will close sometime soon.Have a great hike.
    grayson highlands doesn't close

Images

.The high country around Grayson Highlands State Park could be very windy and cold even though it may be warmer in valley locations like Damascus

that is true...

last year, i had snow at the beginning of october...........not much other than flakes, but it was still snow......

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pajj View Post
    So the week after next I'm planning to head down to the Mt. Rogers area and do some hiking. Can anyone give me more info on doing a loop with the AT, Mt Rogers Trail, and Fairwood Valley Trail? Specifically how long it will end up being as well as the best place to park? Are the side trails marked well? How about the junctions? I think I'll take a little side trip down to Buzzard Rock as well, this area was a highlight of my thru.
    Thanks in advance,
    Young Blood
    Yup- Nat Geo Trails Illustrated Maps #318 & 786 will cover everything, map 318 moreso. See if you can get it ordered from Amazon with 2 day shipping.

If not, I'll try to scan mine & upload, althought not sure how good the quality would be,
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I'm pretty sure I found a scan of the map you speak of online, and even if it's not it will be good enough. Lone Wolf, any idea on the conditions up there lately? Snow sounds amazing in the highlands. Rain sounds not so amazing.
    AT2015 GA-ME

dropped a lady off at massey gap 2 days ago. it was gorgeous

++ New Posts ++