WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Arrow What am I missing? (clothing gear check)

This is what I have:

Base Layers
    1 merino wool short sleeve shirt
    1 synthetic long sleeve shirt
    1 synthetic long johns pants
    2 pair darn tough socks (1 long thick/1 short thin)
    2 pair synthetic boxers

Mid layers

1 zip off pants (short or pants)
    1 hiker shorts/swim trunks with liner
    1 synthetic town shirt
    1 MontBell Frost Smoke Parka (down jacket)
    1 pair of mittens
    1 micro fleece watch cap (from military)
    1 buff (think bandana)

Shell Layer

1 frogg toggs bottoms (cheap rain suit) figure I can use this as a wind shield if all hell breaks loose.
    1 frogg toggs top (cheap rain suit) figure I can use this as a wind shield if all hell breaks loose.
    1 emergency poncho

I am fairly warm blooded (don't easily get cold) but is there any obvious things I am missing that you could just not do the AT without? I am starting 15th Feb and I am not worried about my sleeping warmth. Just my walking/standing warmth.

Thanks in advance.

Assuming your base layer is silk weight (it should be), then for a mid Feb start:

I'd add 1 top + bottoms heavy weight base layer OR a 100wt fleece 1/2 zip (depending on if your legs get cold - especially when sleeping).

Swap the short thin socks for a 2nd pair of warm hiking socks (winters include lots of "wet" on the east coast).

Add 1 pair of super thick loose socks for sleeping.

Swap the frog toggs for a more durable rain jacket --- with a hood. LLBean makes some that are cheap and light. The rain jacket and pants get used a LOT in camp to keep you warm. Frog toggs aren't durable enough. The pants can just be nylon wind pants.

Swap the mittens for a pair of liner gloves. Put your hands in your jacket pockets while sitting in camp. Hiking, they'll be warm. If it's super cold, use the extra pair of socks as mittens.

Drop the zip offs and poncho. Hike in shorts + base layer(s) mostly, and add the wind pants when it's extra cold.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG10 View Post
    Assuming your base layer is silk weight (it should be), then for a mid Feb start:

I'd add 1 top + bottoms heavy weight base layer OR a 100wt fleece 1/2 zip (depending on if your legs get cold - especially when sleeping).

Swap the short thin socks for a 2nd pair of warm hiking socks (winters include lots of "wet" on the east coast).

Add 1 pair of super thick loose socks for sleeping.

Swap the frog toggs for a more durable rain jacket --- with a hood. LLBean makes some that are cheap and light. The rain jacket and pants get used a LOT in camp to keep you warm. Frog toggs aren't durable enough. The pants can just be nylon wind pants.

Swap the mittens for a pair of liner gloves. Put your hands in your jacket pockets while sitting in camp. Hiking, they'll be warm. If it's super cold, use the extra pair of socks as mittens.

Drop the zip offs and poncho. Hike in shorts + base layer(s) mostly, and add the wind pants when it's extra cold.

looks like excellent advice on many angles.

I plan on the socks change and adding a pair of sleeping socks. I have a pair of liner gloves as well so that's not an issue either and I love the sock idea as mittens if I get cold at camp. I also plan on the frogg togg switch in 2-3 weeks into the thru hike. I will probably lose enough weight in the first month to get into a new size rain jacket and pants so if I can make those last long enough to comfortably get into the next size I will (or should I just order the next size and have them sent to me? How much markup is in the trail towns?).

couple of questions on the other bits of advice ( i am not trying to question your advice, just trying to learn as much as I can before I go).

why a fleece when I have a heavy coat, rain shell and (if needed) two silk weight shirts and a town shirt i can throw on?

why drop the zip offs? I figure I can hike in the shorts mode and if it gets cold i can add the pants mode. then throw the frogg toggs/ soon to be wind pants, on when I get cold. Does that not work?
    or are you thinking about town clothes there?

Thanks for your advice. Many sound bits of gold in there.

Mtsman

I think the suggestion about the fleece was because you can't hike in the puffy and in a sustained cold rain the two silk weights might not be enough (they wouldn't for me light fleece hoody it is)

For legs personally I'd keep the zip offs and ditch the shorts they might be a little redundant. Or ditch the zip offs and add wind pants/nylon hiking pants in addition to the rain pants and shorts. It can be cold and wet. I run warmish but in an all day rain at 33 degrees with wind I'd eventually have on a merino t, fleece midlayer, rain jacket, wind/nylon pants, and rain pants(depending on amount of rain). (If you don't need the base layer bottoms for sleeping you could also go shorts, baselayer, and rain pants for your leg layers as was suggested. My personal preference is just that I like having nylon/wind/zip pants as my first line of defense after shorts they add warmth, cut wind, shed drizzle, are tough, and breathe much better than any rain pants.)

I would also add light wpb mittens for sure and perhaps vbl socks(depending on footwear and preference).

Quote:
    I think the suggestion about the fleece was because you can't hike in the puffy and in a sustained cold rain the two silk weights might not be enough (they wouldn't for me light fleece hoody it is)

Yep - that's exactly why.

For your legs - you definitely only need the zip offs OR shorts. Which you use is personal preference.

For me, I get hot in pants while hiking in the shoulder season, so I suggested shorts with a 1 2 base layers as a more general use solution for any weather.

BUT, when it's actually winter I prefer nylon wind pants with silk base layer tights. Wearing 2 pairs of tights (1 silk weight, 1 mid weight) isn't as nice, but it allows me to carry less (my legs get cold while sleeping so I need the mid weight tights anyway).

True rain pants are definitely not breathable enough to hot to hike in - but are LOTS better in 30 degree rain than wind pants. Once it gets to warmer spring weather, then the wind pants work better. They are mostly to keep warm when wet in the rain. The rain pants are not breathable, and way to hot to hike in above 50 degrees.

Regarding the frog toggs- I still advise against them. You'll need your rain gear the most in the winter --- to keep warm. On some days / nights, decent rain gear is the difference between being a little cold, and having uncontrollable shivering.

Personally, I'd only use frog toggs for hiking in the west - where it rains seldom and only for short durations. In the east, rain gear is one of your more important pieces of equipment. I'd get a 20-30 denier single layer WPB nylon rain jacket and pants. I find no difference between the gortex "laminate" ones and the "house brand" water proof breathable "coated" ones - except price

Thanks to both of you for clarifying. That makes perfect sense.

okay I am thinking about this for the fleece:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Hardw...ME4KPSJ2HVPJSM

I am at a loss on the nylon pants. I found these. Is this more of what you are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sport...htweight+pants

or more like this?:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Mens-...HY1PF77CDVGRTC

and this type of rain jacket?:

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Water.../dp/B00HN53994

Again, thanks for all your help and knowledge. I like that you helped me with the understanding of the gear that helps me a ton.

Mtsman

++ New Posts ++