Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

My wife's father is pretty nervous about the whole endeavor, so this last weekend while we were visiting them, he took us down to the gun shop.
    We checked out all the nice pieces, but all the semi-autos were too heavy and we already own one.

However they did have these mini .22 revolver w/ belt clip. Like old west derringer pistols except some were 4 or 5 shot. These things were awesome, I want one! About 6-8oz in weight and only a $130.00. But we resisted and know that there really isn't a need to carry a gun on the trail, but I still want one for shopping at the mall, and sundays at the park...j/k

GL

almost forgot--we watched TREK that night and it really helped quell his suspicions about people we might encounter on the trail, and it showed more importantly, that people often gathered in GROUPs of 3-10.
    Last edited by soulrebel; 12-21-2005 at 09:03.
    See ya when I get there.

TREK - a great choice for watching with friends and/or family - a lighthearted intro to the trail for those who just don't 'get it'. A terrific group of guys as well!

So many of you TH ladies seem like things are really moving along, planning going well, purchases being made (self-Christmas gifts ar SO FUN!) it's good to hear that most are eager and in wonderful spirits this winter prior to their Thru's.....

When is everybody heading out? I have put a poll under the Class of 2006, but it doesn' list names.....anybody set in their dates yet?
    My husband wants to join me on top of springer - first night, do photos etc....he really wants to TH with me, but his schedule does not allow.

I'll miss him, but I am eager to get started!
    Last edited by Smile; 12-21-2005 at 11:32.
    ad astra per aspera

It's interesting to read about women who hike without their husbands, and the fact that there are some here who are thru-hikers is even more interesting. My husband of 5 years enjoys hiking, but he won't go for more than 2 days, and really, really hates that I want to go alone. He thinks it's too dangerous for me and doesn't understand my need to go. I've tried to respect him so far by not going on weekenders alone, but it's a conversation that is going to have to be had this spring. I've told him that I plan to start my thru-hike in early 2007, but I don't think he has taken me seriously yet. It's going to be a difficult conversation, especially since as of right now, I don't have a hiking partner.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Janey
    It's interesting to read about women who hike without their husbands, and the fact that there are some here who are thru-hikers is even more interesting. My husband of 5 years enjoys hiking, but he won't go for more than 2 days, and really, really hates that I want to go alone. He thinks it's too dangerous for me and doesn't understand my need to go. I've tried to respect him so far by not going on weekenders alone, but it's a conversation that is going to have to be had this spring. I've told him that I plan to start my thru-hike in early 2007, but I don't think he has taken me seriously yet. It's going to be a difficult conversation, especially since as of right now, I don't have a hiking partner.
    My husband had some concerns when I headed out for my thru-hike in 2001. Luckily he had hiked with me on numerous occasions for a week to 10 days in the GA-NC area. Therefore he knew I would not be 100% alone and should I need help there would be others out there to do that.

It was also good that we had the "hikers share motel rooms to cut down expenses" talk. This way it was not a suprise to him the first time I shared a room with a man and I was comfortable knowing he was cool with it. (We've been together for 25 years and dirty as I was on the trail an affair never entered my mind.) There were plenty of guys that I shared a room with that had to ask me NOT to answer the phone, glad I didn't have to go that route. Better to be up front in the begining.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger
    It was also good that we had the "hikers share motel rooms to cut down expenses" talk. This way it was not a suprise to him the first time I shared a room with a man and I was comfortable knowing he was cool with it.

My husband and I had the same talk and it hasn't been a problem for him. He's either not the jealous type or he doesn't care...... Seriously, I've gone on sections with other guys and he is nothing but supportive. He's not a hiker himself, and he worries, but he knows better than to tell me I can't do something.

Janey, make sure you let your husband read this forum and journals from trailjournals.com. Reading what others go through may help ease his mind.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

www.hikersupply.com

Good luck,

Some of the crap that I have seen some women do on the AT, no wonder there husbands are worried...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++