Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Long Hiking Skirt or Pants?

I'm planning on a PCT thru-hike this coming year and am trying to figure out the best clothing set-up for the desert section. I'm VERY pale. I cannot tan (I've literally never had a tan. I'm either pink or white) so if I go with a hiking skirt I'm thinking it would need to be ankle length. I like the idea of a skirt for practical reasons (peeing) as well as having lots of ventilation, but am unsure if a long skirt would be any better than regular hiking pants? Any thoughts? Anyone have experience hiking the desert section of the PCT in a long skirt? Thanks in advance!

Journal Entries

Im a guy.
    Long pants and are wonderful at keeping your legs clean in dry dusty environment. I cant see a skirt performing similarly without leggings.

I can burn in ten minutes, so I feel your pain! I love the idea of hiking in a skirt. But I would think a long one might get in the way a bit. I would try some short trips first to see what works for you. You could always design your own, add ties or snaps where ever needed.

I also would get a consider a backpacking umbrella. Portable shade seems like a good idea.

POD at the trail show and a few others have used this- http://www.macabiskirt.com/shop/skirts/slim-skirt
    Specifically because of the length I believe... otherwise it's a bit heavy and cumbersome but it can be adjusted shorter for steep sections which is probably less of a problem on the early PCT than it would be in most spots.

Also having a heavier fabric like this one uses would keep it in place better in the wind. It's more of a hostel hopping piece but for this application (and this new version with SPF25 fabric) it may be just right for you.

As an aside- most PCT hikers wear gaiters, which would cover you a bit higher up the leg.
    The other thing I've been wearing is compression sleeves-http://www.amazon.com/Zensah-Compression-Sleeves-Black-Medium/dp/B002U2NKM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447769228&sr=8-1&keywords=zensah+compression+sleeves

With that type of compression sleeve on, even a past the knee skirt would give you pretty full if not complete sun coverage without having to wear a full length skirt.
    You can go with the hottest fashion on the trail too- Anish style. A simply poly/nylon lightweight dress would do the job too.

Reccomend a brella as well- http://www.amazon.com/euroSCHIRM-Swi...kking+umbrella

If you get totally stuck on the skirts shoot me a PM and I can try to make you a custom one.

I met a girl on the PCT using a thin long skirt. She thought it was cooler than pants and more convenient for going to the bathroom. She admitted to going commando most of the time except for her cycle as she felt cleaner some how and it was quicker/easier to water the cactus.

As for dirt, you'll be dirty either way. As for pants, I used (and still use for desert hiking) Railrider brand pants that have mesh down the length of the leg for ventilation but still provides sun protection. They were cool enough I never did change to shorts after the Sierra when you finally see significant Forest.

I am considering using a wrap skirt. It can be worn as a dress or skirt. I have a bunch made from silk, from darngoodyarns.com.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I'm not overly concerned about my legs getting dirty -- I've accepted the fact that I'll be a mess for 5ish months, and I'm using a sleeping bag liner so I should be fine I think I'll go ahead and make a cheap skirt for practice hikes in town and see how it feels. I like the idea of a wrap skirt, I hadn't thought about that. And I'll definitely look into the railrider pants if the skirt doesn't work out. Thanks for the input!

Wrap skirt. What a great idea. Self adjusting as you hike off a pound or 3. Brilliant!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

If you wear a skirt and go camado, put something on if you are scampering up rocks and others are around.

Highlight from my son's boy scout trip to mt modnadnuck was the view of a "bush" hiking behind a lady in a skirt he and his friends had.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

A razor can take care of the "bush" problem.

The PCT is a well graded Trail. No need for scrambling except:

If the trail on a mountain side is washed out for a short distance (wasn't common and I don't recall any that needed my hands or was longer than 30ft.).

Along the JMT portion in spring when the High passes are still burried in snow. Hikers usually just scramble straight up/down after the trail becomes burried.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    If you wear a skirt and go camado, put something on if you are scampering up rocks and others are around.

Highlight from my son's boy scout trip to mt modnadnuck was the view of a "bush" hiking behind a lady in a skirt he and his friends had.

We're all out in the woods. Give the women some space they don't have in town or at home.
    We all know what people look like under our clothes. So What !!!

I'm planning on wearing running shorts to prevent chafing, but in the event that I decide to go commando, I'm not overly worried about anyone seeing my 'bush'. I'm not overly modest; I don't think that the human body is anything to be ashamed of, and if I happen to expose something while clambering over a rock, so be it

Thanks for all the info, Just Bill. I like the options the macabi skirt offers, and I'm definitely going to be using an umbrella (I'm really, really heat/sun sensitive. Which is unfortunate.) I'm going to try out a sarong style wrap dress with a long-sleeve button-up over it next weekend and will go from there!

This is not the local mall. We are out in the woods. Give people the space they want, particularly women. If you don't want your boys seeing up a woman's skirt, do something about it. As a scout leader it is your responsability not hers. Teach some respect. Please.

I wasn't on the trip. And on a weekend in the fall on mt modnadnuck you aren't getting space. Not saying the boys are blameless, but the lady in this case made a poor choice.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I wasn't on the trip. And on a weekend in the fall on mt modnadnuck you aren't getting space. Not saying the boys are blameless, but the lady in this case made a poor choice.

Yea sure I agree. But we are still in the woods.

If it was me doing a scramble above a group of girl scouts I wonder what the difference would have been. We could talk legal ramifications, but I'm not going there.

I do like just Bills idea of a loop and button kind of thing to hike your skirt up when it's big girl time.

Hopefully the boys were not scared for life. a bit different with girls. IMHO

I doubt they are scarred for life. It is not like he hasn't seen similar on the Internet. But you bring up a good point, if it was a male skirt wearer and my daughter, my reaction would be much different.

Just thinking legal stuff. If someone under the age of 18 sees up your skirt, it becomes a different thing. Too much trouble to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++