WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Baking

Default Baking

I have been experimenting with some baking this week...
    I've added a couple small pieces to my cook kit and white box stove
    1. Strip of folded aluminum foil 1"x8" spiraled in the bottom
    2. "Starter tray" from stove trimmed to circle to fit in pot, then holes pierced in grid pattern.
    3. 4" wide light weight aluminum vent connector, trimmed down to height of the stove and square notched along top edge.
    4. Silicone baking cups, 2 fits my small cooking pot, 3 in my larger pot.

One thing I tried was some banana/walnut muffins. I put some some dry mix and powdered milk in a zip lock bag. This allowed me to just add water and massage to mix.
    Also tried some scrambled eggs and ham (freezedried) mixed with jiffy cornbread mix and powdered milk.
    Also, Bisquick mix, brownie mix... (a little olive oil added).
    The silicone cupcake cups cleaned up really easy and they would shape to allow 2 to fit in my smaller pot.
    Filling the stove up to the level of the outside flame holes ( 2 or 3 oz? ) was enough to bake 2 muffins.
    All the extra items added fit in my cook pot to carry. I see this opening up a lot of cooking options for me...

What's your expereinces? Does anyone do this regularly, or has it proven to be to time and fuel consuming to be worth it?

Any pics of your setup?
    I do a fair amount of baking. I use my Swedish army mess kit and my Coleman peak one most times cause the heat output is easy to control. For a baking pan I have a small stainless fry pan for mine it fits perfectly in it. I've done bread real bread not bannock also made cakes and sourdough sweet rolls. Those were heavenly. Baking isn't really as hard as some might think opens up so many goodies. Next to try some savory stuff
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by PackHorse View Post
    I have been experimenting with some baking this week...
    I've added a couple small pieces to my cook kit and white box stove
    1. Strip of folded aluminum foil 1"x8" spiraled in the bottom
    2. "Starter tray" from stove trimmed to circle to fit in pot, then holes pierced in grid pattern.
    3. 4" wide light weight aluminum vent connector, trimmed down to height of the stove and square notched along top edge.
    4. Silicone baking cups, 2 fits my small cooking pot, 3 in my larger pot.

One thing I tried was some banana/walnut muffins. I put some some dry mix and powdered milk in a zip lock bag. This allowed me to just add water and massage to mix.
    Also tried some scrambled eggs and ham (freezedried) mixed with jiffy cornbread mix and powdered milk.
    Also, Bisquick mix, brownie mix... (a little olive oil added).
    The silicone cupcake cups cleaned up really easy and they would shape to allow 2 to fit in my smaller pot.
    Filling the stove up to the level of the outside flame holes ( 2 or 3 oz? ) was enough to bake 2 muffins.
    All the extra items added fit in my cook pot to carry. I see this opening up a lot of cooking options for me...

What's your expereinces? Does anyone do this regularly, or has it proven to be to time and fuel consuming to be worth it?
    I have a similar set up. I bought an aluminum cookie baking pan at the dollar store. I cut it to fit the pot, and used some of the rest to make a spiral. I put water in the pot to just below the spiral, then put the circular piece in. I didn't bother to put holes in it. I used disposable aluminum foil muffin liners instead of the silicon. I made muffins. It was a fun experiment to do with the scouts on the last backpacking trip.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

++ New Posts ++