WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default November hiking????

It's mid or late November. The days are short with sunset near or before 5 pm. The skies are grey. it's breezy, the trees are bare, and temps are in 30's or 40's at best. So it's chilly, probably quite breezy and there is little or no snow.

Are you hitting the trail or putting the hiking boots in the closet?

If you ARE going hiking this time of year.. one I've got one question for you. WHY? wouldn't not be best to wait for brighter days?

Day hikes are cool any time of year. Views are great in winter and there are no bugs. It's a whole different scene.

Why would you not? After all, tomorrow may never come. Fall and winter hiking are a completely different experience even on familiar trails. I am putting the summer boots away, but I'm getting out the warmer boots and the snowshoes.

I'm a teacher. I get a week off for Thanksgiving. My ex has the kids. See ya!

Journal Entries

We aren't equipped or experienced for November up there in NH, but down here it's a great time to be out. Chilly & breezy isn't the most fun, but November isn't always like that. Plenty of days with bright sunshine, and crisp temperatures. Last year we did a weekend hike on the AT in the Nantahalas. There was a dusting of snow in the upper elevations, and it was pretty cold. But the down sure felt cozy.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    It's mid or late November. The days are short with sunset near or before 5 pm. The skies are grey. it's breezy, the trees are bare, and temps are in 30's or 40's at best. So it's chilly, probably quite breezy and there is little or no snow.

Are you hitting the trail or putting the hiking boots in the closet?

If you ARE going hiking this time of year.. one I've got one question for you. WHY? wouldn't not be best to wait for brighter days?
    Its actually a great time behind a front. Cold nights, clear skies . Just avoid cold rain. Bare trees mean more light.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-19-2015 at 16:07.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    If you ARE going hiking this time of year.. one I've got one question for you. WHY?
    Because you can find leaf covered trail scenes like this...

DSCN2258.jpg
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 11-19-2015 at 16:45.

Temps are still in the 60s here. Most trees have lost their leaves, so the views are better. Some trees still have some really pretty colored leaves which are amazing. No bugs. I'm in!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Why would I not go hiking when I have the chance? The question doesn't make sense to me. Plus, I find this weather beautiful.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

AT 2012

Hey, quick! go for a two hour walk tomorrow at noon. that'll make you feel better.
    Lazarus

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    Why would you not? After all, tomorrow may never come. Fall and winter hiking are a completely different experience even on familiar trails. I am putting the summer boots away, but I'm getting out the warmer boots and the snowshoes.
    Yeah, why would you not? I think we probably hike/camp/snowshoe/ski/bike/camp more days from October to May then June-September, for an average year. Heading out soon for a tour of several National Parks....

My gimpy back is finally able to take on some weight! I hope to be hiking over the next few days. Not sure about sleeping out, though. I should be testing my gear for the cold, though.

No backpacking, but lots of local hikes and walks for me. I'm resplendent in orange, just to be on the safe side. Mostly I've been busy putting the garden to bed, raking leaves, and now, cleaning the house in preparation for Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving weekend there are usually plenty of hikers out in the whites. There are even some brave overnighters who head up the various shelters like Garfield, Guyot and Kinsman. Unfortunately there are some folks who assume sunny and 50 in boston applies to Mt Washington and forget their winter gear. Even though there is no snow except the summits, it can be icy so traction can be needed but it easy not to use it as the lack of snow means its hard on the gear. Slips and falls from hidden ice can be worse as there is no snow to cushion the blow. I expect Gray Knob on Adams will be busy this weekend as that is the only high hut open with some heat as all the high elevation AMC huts are closed. The three AMC huts down low are busy all winter but they are all are quite cold except around the kitchen. NH is still in hunting season although Maine doesn't hunt on Sundays so for those worried about hunters its easy to head across the border.

We hiked PenMar to HF on the weekend before Thanksgiving a few years ago. We loved the way that you could look so far through the woods because the leaves were gone. The weather was nice (that's hit and miss). We had a shelter all to ourselves one night, then stayed in PATC's Bear Creek Cabin. It was a wonderful, glorious trip and we would do it again. We've also hiked in Shenandoah that week, based out of the Corbin cabin. Pretty chancy though, a huge storm chased us out on the day we left. But if you watch the weather, you can do well. I would carry NOAA weather radio...

Journal Entries
    Images

To quote those great hikers, trail named the Mamas and the Papas:
    “All the leaves are brown and the sky is gray. I've been for a walk on a winter's day.”
    Really, what would you do if the first time that you went out backpacking in the cold and snow was the first time that you ever went backpacking in the cold and snow?

I’m going out overnight Sat/Sun just to get another night under silnylon this year, temps here in Pittsburgh will be 50s and 30s, half a chance or less of some rain overnight, maybe some snow flurries on Sunday.14.25 hrs of dark, I’ve got a book.
    You gotta do it sometime.But Tipi Walter I’m not.

76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Gf and I spent a beautiful weekend hiking the Wild River Wilderness and Evans Notch. 14 miles in the snow flurries and wind. It was gorgeous. Good weekend to be out for an overnight trip.

Journal Entries
    Images

I love fall and winter. Cool air, crunchy leaves, no bugs, fewer crowds.... I hate to sweat in the summer and the relentless heat...ick!
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I hike every single day, between 6:00 and 9:00 a.m., before work, in a park (foot paths, easy/moderate terrain), at least 5 and usually 6-8 miles. I love hiking this time of year (although I realize what I'm doing might properly be characterized as simply walking). I carry a 20 lb pack at all times, for fitness/conditioning purposes, and hike 12-15 miles on Sundays. No bugs, few if any people, it's great. And I have the snowshoes ready for when the snow hits.

I love hiking when the temps drop, keeps trails that often have too much traffic to fantastic getaways; snow makes a 14 mile over-nighter into quite an epic adventure!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++