WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Six moons lunar solo Vs tarptent protrail

Hi. I was wondering if any of you can help me make a decision. I've recently sold my BA Seedhouse and am looking to pick up something lighter. I've narrowed it down to these two tents. Do any of you own either one? If so can you shed some light on the advantages/disadvantages? How is customer service? Really..... Anything to make my decision easier. This past summer I completed Springer to PA and in the Spring I'm going to finish PA to Katadhin. I can't wait!

I have a lunar solo. Used it from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin. I like the side entry and found it easy to pitch once you get the hang of it. Vestibule is large. Gear I didn't keep inside the tent with me easily fit in the vestibule. Cooked many meals from inside the tent in the vestibule area (reaching my hands under the mosquito netting to the stove) when the bugs were bad or when it was raining.

It does have a sizable footprint for a single person tent which can be a bit of a disadvantage. And like any single walled shelter it will collect condensation on the walls and things will get damp if you are not careful. Lastly, even using the optional guy out to get more interior space I found when sleeping my head was very close (and sometimes touching) the roof of the tent (I'm 6 ft tall).

In spite of these criticisms I love this tent and will continue to use it.
    "No Worries" 2015 GA-ME; 2016 LT End-to-End

++ New Posts ++