WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Erwin to Roan Mt. in December

I'm considering doing a section from Erwin, TN to Roan Mountain at the end of December. Anyone know if they get much snow down there around that time? I only have a 30 degree bag but I also have a 25 degree thermolite reactor liner. I did a section up to Hot Spring in late November last year and I recall my main difficulties were the short amount of daylight and having to really look for blazes because the trail was full of leaves and snow on the last day. Any suggestions?

Images

It's very possible the weather in these higher elevations could be cold enough to support a gambit of freezing precipitation and even snow so be prepared for that. Roan Mountain can treacherous to hike even in cold rain , especially with the trail littered with downed leaves. A Winter bag is definitely the way to go here so be prepared . I'm talking a bona-fide 20 DEGREE BAG at very minimum.
    Good idea to keep a close watch on the latest weather updates as always when hiking in Winter. The Scorpion Weather Radio,(although heavy at 1 lb.) might be something to consider tossing into the pack if the forecast looks dicey. Bring a couple extra batteries for your headlamp since the darkness comes early.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

That ridge is pretty high, so it's likely to be cold at night. There is a possibility of snow, of course, though in the South the usual pattern for heavy snow is later in the winter.

Have you tried your bag and liner in the winter? I have not found the claims for temp ratings on liners to be particularly accurate, at least for me. I would be prepared for lows in the single digits, and expect lows in the teens and highs in the 20s or 30s.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Weather data for every square mile of the USA is too easy to find online.
    The Cliffs Notes version: Elevation: 6,000 feet. Conditions: winter. You're sleeping system is inadequate for April on Roan Mountain.
    You need a sleep system (bag, pad, some clothes) good to Zero degrees. Pad: R-5 minimum. The liner is dead weight. Put that weight in extra R value in your pad or quality insulation in your bag.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

I took a 20 degree sleep system in the Smokkes in early November. Slept in Davenport Gap shelter. Shivered all night. I wouldn't even try it without a 10 degree bag and clothes that could take you down to 0 at night, but that's just me.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I won't say it can't be done - but I will say I wouldn't do it - not with a thirty degree bag, in December.

u.w.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Spent a couple of nights on Roan in January. Low was 2 degrees and the high was 8 degrees. Snow and high winds. Wore everything I had even though I had zero degree insulation. I was warm enough but three young guys from Virginia Tech I think were there. They slept in the old Fire Wardens cabin with 20 degree bags and nearly froze to death.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Journal Entries

On occasion, there may be a warmish period in late December, but it's not often. If that occurs, you might be okay. We did a short piece near Erwin over New Years weekend a few years ago. We expected 2 to 4 inches of snow, but encountered at least 8" with over-the-knee drifts. We were unprepared for those conditions and bailed out without reaching our destination. If you have company, I hope you're friendly enough to cuddle.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

As I am typing this, Carvers Gap is posting a temp at 14*F. This year is supposedly going to be a heavy snowfall winter. And being Roan anything can happen. I have seen it get measurable snowfall anywhere from October to March.

The leaf litter dropping to Stan Murray Shelter can obscure the trail a bit but its not hard to follow. But if it snows, you might be post-holing on the Balds and open areas.

You will not know the weather until for the area until about 5 days out.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Ray's Weather is the Bible for the North Carolina high country which would also include some spill over into Tennessee along the border.

http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thank you everyone! This was the info I needed to decide on the hike. I've only done one 45 mile section in the winter before and my system was just enough but the elevation was lower. Roan was the big worry. I guess I didn't want to accept that I wouldn't be doing another section until late Spring. Thanks again, all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMartin View Post
    I'm considering doing a section from Erwin, TN to Roan Mountain at the end of December. Anyone know if they get much snow down there around that time? I only have a 30 degree bag but I also have a 25 degree thermolite reactor liner. I did a section up to Hot Spring in late November last year and I recall my main difficulties were the short amount of daylight and having to really look for blazes because the trail was full of leaves and snow on the last day. Any suggestions?
    Weather-wise, it's a crapshoot. Trails could be completely clear with temps in the 50's during the day, or you could be wading through 18" of snow up in Roan Highlands while dealing with the treacherous combination of freezing cold temps and 40 mph winds. Check the weather before you go.

Three suggestions: 1) buy a zero degree bag, 2) build an extra day into your schedule in case the weather throws you for a loop, and 3) make sure you are familiar with potential bailout options along your route in case the weather REALLY throws you for a loop.
    It's all good in the woods.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Plus, if there is any good snowfall in the town of Roan Mtn, you are probably not get up the mountain without 4wheel drive.

You may want to consider cutting your hike short of Roan if weather is bad or having a back up hike at a lower elevations. 19W to Iron Mountain, Dennis Cove to 19E. Holston and Iron Mtn ridgelines.

With your temp bag, you can probably look at late Feb to March time for hiking the section with no really chilly nights.

But definitely keep an eye on Rays Weather.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

There is a lot of water on the trail regardless of snow, I hiked through the Roan Highlands last december and large sections of the trail were iced over, I took several spills along the way so be careful.

Images

I did that section early December 2010. Single digits temps and double digit winds.
    No problem at night in the bag or while walking but if I stood still for more than a minute I had to break out the down jacket. We were out for a week and the first couple of days it rained/drizzled. Then it froze. Trail was under virgin snow in the woods. In the open a lot was iced over where the wind was tearing through. That being said, it was probably the most beautiful AT hike I had been on. We ended up bailing early because we just weren't able to make the miles within our timeframe with treading more carefully.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

++ New Posts ++