WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Bottle(s) vs Camel Bak

AT brethren….and sisteren….need a Thanksgiving revelation. My thru hike plan is to start from Springer about March 23rd. I know Mr.Farenheit can dip low and I have read stories about reservoir lines freezing etc. Would it be better to opt for bottle instead and eliminate risk and go to Camelbak later perhaps Erwin,Tnn thereabouts? Or can you use insulating tube and blow back H2O. Have heard opinions back and forth.Would also like to know that if tubing does freeze does it burst? Does bite valve burst? Or does line just not flow? Need some profound insight here please.

If you want to use a Camelbak in cold weather, just make sure to insulate the tube and mouthpiece with Camelbak's cold weather kit which is a piece of hose insulation and a bite-valve cover. It's what they include with their ski and snowboard packs.

Many people just use bottles anyway. Both ways work.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Bottles are typically lighter. They are usually carried on the outside of your pack. Camelbacks are heavier and are usually carried in with the stuff that you want to stay dry. If you lose a bottle or one starts to leak, you have a backup. If your bladder leaks, you have no drinkable water and your clothes and sleeping back get wet...unless you take steps to prevent it.

You kind of have to balance convenience of taking a sip whenever you want, versus reaching back to grab a bottle and find out it isn't there. I guess there is no one "right" answer. Figure out what works for you.

Freezing tubes aren't much of a problem if you blow the water back into your bladder after you are done drinking it.

Images

Personally, I have reverted back to bottles. But when using a bladder in cold weather, you can just get into the habit of blowing the water from the hose back into the bladder after you take a drink. Just be sure you just blow and don't spit - that gets gross.

Images

Bottles for me. I've heard about the freezing and seen the effects of the bladder leaking into an unprepared (non-waterproofed) pack.

I can turn my bottles upside down if it's going to be freezing and only the top (bottom) will freeze. That being said: I only had ONE time my bottles partially froze in 2012. Even at 25*, if the bottle is in my tent, it hasn't frozen.

I DO keep my filter setup where it won't freeze, though.

YMMV, of course.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Virginia Tortoise

I use both but IMO, the advantage of bottles is that you can see how much water is left. With a Camelbak you never know if you are going to run out of water unless you stop, drop your pack, open it and take a look at the bladder. that kind of defeats the 'efficiency' advantage of a Camelbak.

Bottles all the way. Lighter, easier to replace (and you will have to replace. Budget enough money so that you're not using the same Smartwater bottle for 3 months, dude), and you can put your bottle in your sleeping bag with you if you're concerned about it freezing.

Images

+1 To what Kayjeckel said. I carry smartwater bottles or anything that shape and size. I just got tired of filling the camel back at springs/streams. I also dont need that much water on much of the AT. For as long as it takes to fill a camelback though, I can fill my smartwater bottles and drink a liter and be on the way again. Try it with a Sawyer and see how you like it.

Garlic
    Images

Let me count the ways: 1) It's not much of a problem on the AT, but I switched back to bottles after losing the bite valve a couple of times on chaparral and desert vegetation on the PCT and CDT. 2) I had problems getting debris stuck in the valve, like spruce needles, from filling up at springs. 3) Back before there were convenient shut-offs at the bite valve, I also had a problem with accidentally setting the pack down in a way that would squeeze the valve and I'd lose water outside the pack. 4) Ditto leaks inside the pack--a whitethorn acacia branch in AZ punctured the bladder through the pack, even--nasty stuff. 5) I don't like the idea of that much water in one container, for reliability. 6) Add the need to clean a couple of times over the term of a warm-weather thru-hike, and it just wasn't worth the "convenience" any more for me. 7) I wouldn't even think about cold weather concerns.

Many packs have low side pockets for water bottles, reachable while walking. Or use the buddy system, if applicable.

Journal Entries

Water bottles .
    But you need a pack designed for them
    In sub-freezing conditions, bottles may be under my covers with me to keep from freezing, just depends how cold for how long.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-27-2015 at 08:33.

Smart water bottles...widely available, relatively cheap, seemingly indestructible and light weight.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

In cold weather bottles are more reliable and less likely to break if frozen. For warmer weather, a camelbak will keep you better hydrated because the bitevalve and hose let you drink while you hike as opposed to needing to stop and take out a bottle.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Smart water bottles...widely available, relatively cheap, seemingly indestructible and light weight.
    I use Gatorade bottles, both 20- and 32-oz, and when it's really cold I use plastic bubble mailers as water bottle covers and they insulate amazingly well. I can access them easily in Zpacks lower side pockets, although a quart-sized bottle with cover fits only in the Arc Haul water bottle pockets. A taller, skinnier bottle would be needed with the 52l Arc Blast.

Water bottles. For cold weather hiking stuff the bottle into an old wool sock -- does wonders to stop the water from freezing. Also, you can put the water into the side pocket upside down, that way the water starts freezing where the air is -- in the bottom of the bottle, rather than the end you drink from.

Images

We tried the water bladder thing for a few years. The convenience is great for drinking, but we went back to bottles after a while. Bottles are less expensive, easier to keep clean, easier to refill (and know how much water you have), and (for me) just as easy to drink, as I can reach my side pocket while wearing my pack.

We use 1-liter Gatorade wide mouth bottles. $1 each, and they come pre-filled with free Gatorade.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

In cold weather, I'd pack at least one Nalgene bottle. If it gets really cold, and your water freezes in the bottle, a Nalgene can stand up to being immersed in boiling water to melt the ice inside. A Gatorade or Power Aid or Smart Water bottle can't take the heat. You can also fill a Nalgene with boiling water and put it inside your sleeping bag or under your clothes to warm up your hands/feet/body. (Turn it upside down and shake it to make sure not one drop of water is going to escape from it before you get it near insulated fabric.)

You have to sacrifice some cherished lightweight behaviors to be comfortable and safe when there's the possibility of temperatures below 20 or so.

On the AT, there are town stops or cell service where you can get a fairly reliable long-term weather forecast every two or three days. That will help you make decisions about whether to hike, hole up in town, and what sort of gear you will need for the conditions. If, for instance, you decide not to schlep gear for very cold temperatures...which you may not experience...and there is a storm and cold front approaching, you can always hang out at a hostel or motel, if your budget will stretch to it. If you want to keep carrying on no matter what, prepare for the worst and go for it.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

The ice climbers wear a camelback inside their coat to ensure the water doesn't freeze, and they can hydrate easily/often. I've never tried it (since I have a "mule" style pack with storage) but all reports are that it works very well with a slim/body hugging pack like the runners and bicyclists use.

I was using a bladder/bitewing valve, but last week just went with 2 bottles. A liter Nalgene and a liter smart water. I like the Nalgene so I can measure out for freezer bag cooking. But it is hard to get those big bottles in/out of my pack. The smart bottles can be put in/out one handed.

Last week the Nalgene bottle was just starting to freeze on a night with 29F low. On a 24F low night I pulled the bottles in the bag with me about half way though the night. I was not sure, but I wondered if that already cold water might have caused some dampness from condensation of water inside the bag. perhaps it was just that the bag was still cold where the bottles set. I couldn't really tell if the bag was just cold or damp/cold.

Personally, the issue of bladder versus bottle simplified down to one question. When you're really thirsty are you a sipper or a gulper? They both have their respective pros and cons. I realized that when I'm thirsty, gulping large amounts of water from a bottle quenched my thirst better than several smaller sips from a bladder.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by oldwetherman View Post
    Personally, the issue of bladder versus bottle simplified down to one question. When you're really thirsty are you a sipper or a gulper? They both have their respective pros and cons. I realized that when I'm thirsty, gulping large amounts of water from a bottle quenched my thirst better than several smaller sips from a bladder.
    The issue there is that you should ideally be sipping frequently while hiking to prevent the need to gulp down a bunch of water at once, that's the purpose of using a camelbak. Stopping to gulp every hour or two on a hot day usually means that you are already getting dehydrated and it's probably affecting your endurance. Sure gulping down water might be more enjoyable, but it really isn't the better idea.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++