WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boudreaux76 View Post
    After reading the Amtrak idea I am seriously considering that as an option. I'm wanting to knock GA and part of NC out this year at least. I have almost no cartilage in my left knee and a torn meniscus in my right (its been that way for 8 years - I'm used to it, but I can't fly and up and down hill takes a little extra time). I'm hoping to make it from Springer to Fontana Dam in 16 days. That's 3 days on, zero day, 4 days on, zero day, 4 days on, zero day, 2 days to finish... average 12-13 miles/ walking day.

Amtrak to Gainesville and shuttle to Springer. Shuttle from Fontana to closest city with Amtrak or catch a bus to a train station.
    Just assuming your next section will be the Smokies, I thought I'd point out that according to the Park rules, you must begin and end your section at least 50 miles outside the Park in order to be considered a thru-hiker (which gives you more flexibility in which shelter you use). With your knee issues, that flexibility might be helpful. That means ending this first hike somewhere south of Fontana. Just a thought.

I have been section hiking the AT for several years. I tried using my car and shuttle / hitchhiking etc. The best and easiest way is to decide when you want to hike , drop a note in the White Blaze meet up forum and find someone to hike with. With two vehicles life is so much easier than trying to coordinate with shuttles or be places on certain dates. I have done this 4 times with no problems. As a side note some of the happiest people I have see on the trail are small groups of 3 or 4 people section hiking together....
    "the legs feed the wolf gentlemen, the legs feed the wolf" from the movie "Miracle"

Default Life long dream...in sections

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post
    Hey, I represent that! Old people can do it, too (I hope)....
    Well I'm here to tell you (and everyone else) that I'm doing it. 2016 will be my 3rd of 4 AT sections. Harpers Ferry to Rutland VT- 770 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Just assuming your next section will be the Smokies, I thought I'd point out that according to the Park rules, you must begin and end your section at least 50 miles outside the Park in order to be considered a thru-hiker (which gives you more flexibility in which shelter you use). With your knee issues, that flexibility might be helpful. That means ending this first hike somewhere south of Fontana. Just a thought.
    And that ladies and gentlemen is why I have come to love this site so much already... I had no idea.

Thanks for the heads up!!

I've actually cut the hike time considerably since my wife has decided to come along on the train with me, drop me off at Springer and then meet up with me the next week somewhere around the NC state line in the rental car. That way in 2017 I can make the trail from Deep Gap to at least I-40 just outside the park.

If you have the time you could have your wife meet you at the USFS Standing Indian Campground which is accessible by paved road for her ( Off of old US 64 from Wallace Gap)and by any number of side trails from the AT down to the campground for you. Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap down to the campground is nice. I have never driven the dirt road up to Deep Gap but you may not want to incur the wrath of rental agents fussing about any possible gravel dings.

Standing Indian also has flush toilets/showers if you want to clean up before riding to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Well I'm here to tell you (and everyone else) that I'm doing it. 2016 will be my 3rd of 4 AT sections. Harpers Ferry to Rutland VT- 770 miles.
    Awesome! I'm a couple of years younger than you, so maybe there's hope for me yet! Thanks for the inspiration.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++