WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Updated atweather.org for 2016

Good afternoon. For those of you who don't know me (which is probabl
    y almost everyone!) my trail name is Zen. I thru-hiked in 2015, but even more importantly developed a website called www.atweather.org.

Over the course of the 2015 season, lots of people found it useful and I just want to publicize it here. The functioning of the site is extremely simple: pick your location from the drop-down lists, and a text weather forecast from NOAA for that point on the trail will appear. No messing with zip codes or nearest towns.

Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions. Congratulations on your decision to hike the trail and good luck!

Regards,

Pat ("Zen" 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by zepphead80 View Post

Good afternoon. For those of you who don't know me (which is probabl
    y almost everyone!) my trail name is Zen. I thru-hiked in 2015, but even more importantly developed a website called www.atweather.org.

Over the course of the 2015 season, lots of people found it useful and I just want to publicize it here. The functioning of the site is extremely simple: pick your location from the drop-down lists, and a text weather forecast from NOAA for that point on the trail will appear. No messing with zip codes or nearest towns.

Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions. Congratulations on your decision to hike the trail and good luck!

Regards,

Pat ("Zen" 2015)
    I've been using it, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Section Hiker

Wow, I've been using your site all season and THANK YOU! It's terrific! I share the link often on the Section Hiker's FB page.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Thanks for developing this helpful resource for A.T. hikers!

I asked questions on your other similar thread.

Journal Entries

I really like your site. Every time I use weather.com to get the local Atlanta forecast during the week...I wish it was more like yours...they are so...bloated. Good job, man...and Thanks!
    hikers gonna hike

Journal Entries

More info then the AT weather site I had been using which yours is really more useful, but both have their place as this one gives the entire trail at a glance: http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

This is great. Thanks so much.

Very cool thanks!

This is super useful and easy to access on mobile. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    More info then the AT weather site I had been using which yours is really more useful, but both have their place as this one gives the entire trail at a glance: http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php
    I think that sophiaknows is a great resource as well...in fact I'm pretty sure that I pulled the list of locations in the drop down list from there.

FYI, having an issue with changing locations. example: pick a state then try to look at another state, the site locations stay at previous state.

Thanks for reporting the problem, but I'm not experiencing this. Is there a particular combination of states that you are experiencing this problem with?

looked at GA, then switched to Maine Ga locations wouldn't change so I could look at Maine locations. will try again

Quote Originally Posted by zepphead80 View Post
    Thanks for reporting the problem, but I'm not experiencing this. Is there a particular combination of states that you are experiencing this problem with?
    tried again, same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatgas View Post
    tried again, same issue.
    just tried out of curiosity, i do not experience this problem either. I am on FF 38.4 Win 7

OHHH tried it on my IE 11.0.96 version and I am experiencing possibly the same thing. When I select GA > Springer then select Maine the second drop down list still shows GA locations.

Hi all,

Sorry for not replying to this sooner. It sounds like it could be an Internet Explorer specific issue. If I have the time at some point then I'll look into it, but with IE users coming in at around 7% of my total traffic it will not be a high-priority fix right now. The site does still appear to function on IE except that the state filtering isn't working.

Thanks for making me aware of this. I should have properly tested it with IE before releasing it.

Best,

Pat

Here's a Droid app with all the same information. We used this a ton this past year while thru-hiking.
    AT15
    OT15

I just made this my first bookmark this on my brand new "cutting edge" Iphone 4. Played around with it a bit, good stuff, thanks!

Images

I'd still rather depend on NOAA forecasts via a small radio with the NOAA weather bands.Cell reception is spotty in places and in areas where you can get a signal,weather systems with heavy rain,snow or cloud cover will block cell service.Batteries in a small radio will last a very long time compared to your cell phone's rechargeable battery.These days charging your device in crowded trail towns or hostels can be a problem.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++