WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Husband,Wife, Friend or Alone?

Out of curiosity, do most of you wish your husband/wife would hike with you?

Or do you prefer a friend over your husband/wife?

Or do you prefer alone?

I have tried the whole "girlfriend wants to hike" thing. NO.

If you marry a woman and she ALREADY has hiking boots? She likes to hike.

If you marry a woman and have to buy her a kit? She'se doing it because she knows you like to do it, (9/10) and that isn't fun for anyone.
    Everyone needs a break from their second half, and for me my outdoor life provides that, as well for her.

I can hike alone, but really only enjoy it when there are social people on the trail, when its December and you don't see anyone, I loose interest.

A friend is my best choice, one that doesn't have to be babysat and can hike at their own pace and just regroup 3-4 times a day to make sure everyone is good to go.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I'm happily married with 2 kids. I enjoy hiking alone with my dog. That said my son has started to join me a few times a year as he's now 9. The solitude of being out alone during the winter is my favorite time. I have no desire to camp around others.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife isn't much of a hiker, she prefers ballet which isn't my thing.

I'll hike alone or with a friend, either way has its pros and cons. The old "Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em" problem.

Hiking alone I get to move at exactly the pace I want, walk exactly as far as I want to, stop and start when I want to, etc. But nobody to share the highs and lows with. Start feeling like Tom Hanks in Cast Away.

Add just one more person to the mix and now there's give-and-take and compromise involved, but it can be a whole lot of fun.

I loved this spring just falling in with a group of thrus on my Georgia hike, I was the only section hiker I saw in the park, had a 12 lbs full pack, and got, up first every morning. Got some comical remarks about my pack weight and really out experienced a lot of the green thru hikers. Had a great time
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

My wife likes day hikes but not over-nighters. I have tried to convince her to come on an overnight hike (again) but she really isn't interested. I normally go with one of my four brothers or a friend but I have gone alone. I am a social person so I prefer to have someone else out there but I can manage on my own just fine.

Better alone in your room than with another on the trail. Not sure where I read that. Camping doesn't count.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by naturlred View Post

Or do you prefer alone?
    I hiked alone or with a friend for 40 years before my wife discovered that she likes to hike too. She does two or three multi-day hikes a year with me. The rest I do alone or with a friend. I would say that I enjoy the ones where she is along more.
    Shutterbug

While 90% of my hiking is solo, I would prefer company; specific company.

I have 2 sons. The best hiking trips are when I can share the outdoors experience with either or both of them. Finding cool, hidden waterfalls or getting to the top of a challenging climb is WAY more satisfying if they are part of it.

If I want solitary time, I can fall back a bit on the trail. That also gives them a bit of a thrill to think they can out hike their aging dad.

Getting my wife on the trail is a bit tougher. Hiking with her is enjoyable but, the biggest benefit is that it makes the relationship at home better.

Outside of spouse or sons, I prefer hiking alone.

Married with two girls.
    Wife camped once and said she would never go again.
    Oldest daughter is not interested.
    Youngest has started to show a little interest but not enough to commit.

My wife walks an average of 12 miles a day.
    I would never be able to keep up with her.
    My pace is my pace and I need my self time....I prefer to hike alone.

Journal Entries

Or do you prefer alone?
    I've done plenty of dayhiking without my husband, but on overnight adventures, we always go together. Sometimes we get on each other's nerves, but we're never out much more than a week, so it's bearable - sort of. Conflict... Compromise...

It helps that we're different in certain respects. For example, I have all of 2016 backpacking planned out and on the calendar. He doesn't try to involve himself in the planning, so he just accepts whatever I've arranged. If we were both trying to plan, it wouldn't work too well.

Or do you prefer alone?
    All of the above, at varying times. My wife was already into backpacking when we met several years ago but now prefers day hiking only, and that works out pretty well as we both enjoy occasional time apart.
    I have friends I enjoy hiking and backpacking with, and we do more backpacking than day hiking.
    On most occasions, whether it's hiking or backpacking, friends or spouse, my dog goes with me. He is my favorite hiking partner.

First choice would be to go with my wife, but these days that means bringing our daughter along. She's been on trail for two years now, but not yet five years old her mileage is very limited. We go together when we can, but very different trips with limited elevation change. Still, time on trail with those two is very rewarding. They both love backpacking because their fathers raised them well.

Second choice would be to go alone. It is easier to hear the breeze blowing through the trees with only one set of footsteps. Easier to hear yourself think as well which is why lot of folks bring a person or a dog to talk to in order to keep themselves preoccupied.

I do go with friends and visiting family at least once a year and enjoy that as well. I am always happy to have any excuse to get out there.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Section Hiker

I believe all have their merits. I have hiked alone most and love the challenge, sense of accomplishment, solitude, ability to HYOH but also the chance to meet and hike/camp with new people--you don't usually get that when you're already with someone. I've also hiked with friends, from 1 on an AT trip to a group of 26 on a planned outing. Both were fun for different reasons, and you go into each knowing you'll get something different out of it. It's just a different kind of trip. I've also hiked with a significant other, which wasn't all that great, so I'm not sure I'd do that again unless we knew each other much better.

The only thing I miss when I go out alone is someone to be there when I see something amazing and utter out loud "Look at that!" and no one is there to share it. Hoping one day to run across the right mountain man on the trail to be that kind of partner...

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Journal Entries

Wife? No

I prefer my son if im going to hike with someone.

Most others are okay for short time, but i dont want to be attached to them for weeks.

I really prefer solo.

The wife and kids like to day hike, They show no interest in backpacking hikes.
    I prefer solo, set your pace for the trip.

Images

#1 choice is my wife. I enjoy her company and we make a good hiking team.

(This isn't really new - we've been doing the occasional weekend backpacking trip for twenty five years, but the long distance part is new - our Long Trail E2E was a terrific experience and we're planning more and longer trips in the future.)

I've had two great non-spouse hiking partners over the years. The first one was my best friend, and he up and died on us about ten years ago (brain cancer, left a wife and four year old son). The second was a close friend at work -- we did as many weekends as we could, and one week a year for five or six years, but his life is in a place now where he just doesn't have the time.

My daughter loved to hike when she was, I dunno, 7 or so, but not anymore. She'll tolerate a weekend overnight, maybe.

For a few years I was doing a week or two solo in early June, but haven't been able to get away the last couple of years. I like solo hiking, but given the choice I'd much rather spend that time with my wife.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Wife - uh, no. She would never go.

I do enjoy going with friends. But, being middle-aged and with families, it's hard to coordinate a trip. As a result, I don't let that stop me from going alone. The solitude and self-pace is quite enjoyable.

I basically announce to my buddies when I'm going, or give them some time window options, and then just go whether they go or not.

Had some great experiences both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

friend trips are always fun, but folks get married and have kids, get bogged down in careers, and the weekends become harder to find. wife trips are fun too but she's not as in to as she used to be.

I've been dong solo trips since I started backpacking back in my college days, but I feel like I appreciate them more than I once did.

Definitely my Wife. We work well together.

TF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++