WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Perhaps, the root cause of what's limiting you is not what you think?

I response to Naturlred's thread, felt I had to offer this.
    What's the #1 thing stopping you

What is the #1 thing stopping you from going to that place you would go if you could anywhere?
    Is is money, physical health, family, children, lack of knowledge, work, etc.?

I read some of the destinations on the question posted,"where would you go if you could anywhere," and I am surprised that some destinations are in the US and not all that expensive to travel to. So I just wonder, what is stopping you?

Just curious...

Many responses to Naturlred's question cited money, time, family and biz commitments as the cause for not living the LIFE they fully desired. I submit it is likely unquestionably adhering to cultural and societal norms as matter of unconscionable habit that MAY actually be the root cause of what's stopping you, AND YOUR FAMILY, from living more fulfilling lives.

This thread is NOT intended to endlessly opine on the perceived problems BUT to ultimately move forward beyond them! This thread is intended for exploring solutions!

First though, I submit it is a culture of waste, inefficiency, unbridled consumerism, materialism, shopping as the national past time, disconnection from Nature, and prioritized connection to money, hence enslaving unnecessary debt, that clutters up our lives. These accepted and unquestionably embraced norms have far reaching negative impacts on a national and global level that are rarely deeply explored from inside and by this culture.

I ask, COULD applying an edited lifestyle, such as applying an edited hiking style, pursuing less accumulation of "stuff", living in less space, living more frugally and more consciously, and more soberly questioning our choices, preferably outside the cultural and societal norms, lead to MORE money, MORE time, MORE happiness, and MORE of what we soberly desire for LIFE. By QUESTIONING the cultural drivers that impel us to fall into a lock step marching to the loudly beaten drum "MORE and FASTER IS ALWAYS BETTER" CAN WE FIND SOLUTIONS to MORE freedom, self determination, and, while at the same time, maybe, just maybe be conscious of a larger whole?

https://www.ted.com/talks/graham_hil...ge=en#t-250338

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    This thread is NOT intended to endlessly opine on the perceived problems BUT to ultimately move forward beyond them! This thread is intended for exploring solutions! First though, I submit it is a culture of waste, inefficiency, unbridled consumerism, materialism, shopping as the national past time, disconnection from Nature, and prioritized connection to money, hence enslaving unnecessary debt, that clutters up our lives. These accepted and unquestionably embraced norms have far reaching negative impacts on a national and global level that are rarely deeply explored from inside and by this culture.

I ask, COULD applying an edited lifestyle, such as applying an edited hiking style, pursuing less accumulation of "stuff", living in less space, living more frugally and more consciously, and more soberly questioning our choices, preferably outside the cultural and societal norms, lead to MORE money, MORE time, MORE happiness, and MORE of what we soberly desire for LIFE. By QUESTIONING the cultural drivers that impel us to fall into a lock step marching to the loudly beaten drum "MORE and FASTER IS ALWAYS BETTER" CAN WE FIND SOLUTIONS to MORE freedom, self determination, and, while at the same time, maybe, just maybe be conscious of a larger whole?
    https://www.ted.com/talks/graham_hil...ge=en#t-250338
    Could it? Of course. (I'm living proof, and I believe Tipi Walter and others here are.) An edited lifestyle choice is merely making small (or large) sacrifices in order to achieve our deeper desires. From a very young age I wished for experiences over goods. Goods, I'd learn in time, were no good to me! (That is, outside of a few essentials and perhaps a few niceties...books, namely.) To this day I can fit everything I "own" onto my 650 motorcycle, so I'm always ready to take advantage of opportunities, or create them, since there's little holding me back. I can park the bike at a friend's place when traveling, since it's not all that big.

Of the numerous younger American thru-hikers and travelers I've crossed paths with on these travels, most know not to fall for that facade that is the American Dream (in a nutshell: work, build a bank account, buy, impress [or try to], build credit, incur debt, work, retire...right around the time you're too tired to do much). It all sounds like more of a nightmare to me than a dream. They call it a dream, because you'd have to be asleep to believe in it! And yet I can live comfortably within my means because there's so much excess in this country. At this juncture, we are the freest humans to have ever walked the planet, and yet we shackle ourselves. No thanks!

Thx Uriah.

Several studies have concluded humans are happier overall through experiences rather than an endless pursuit of "stuff" which is the opposite of how we are "miss-educated."

You've been listening to George Carlin I see. "They call it a dream, because you'd have to be asleep to believe in it!"

Yes Dogwood, this idea is actually happening and starting small movements as we speak.

Here are just some of the movements to cut down:

The Tiny House Movement - http://thetinylife.com/what-is-the-tiny-house-movement/
    The Minimalist Movement - http://www.custommade.com/blog/minimalist-movement/
    The Voluntary Simplicity Movement - http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/
    etc etc

Yes they are all small movements (literally and figuratively) but lets cross our fingers that it will actually catch on with the future generations. Just smaller houses alone would be amazing. They don't have to be 2sqft x 2sqft like some of these but please, no more mc mansions!!

Journal Entries

Be thankful the masses are stuck in a trap of their own making. There wouldnt be enough public land to go around if they werent.

Everyone that benefits in some way, can only do so via the expense of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Many responses to Naturlred's question cited money, time, family and biz commitments as the cause for not living the LIFE they fully desired. I submit it is likely unquestionably adhering to cultural and societal norms as matter of unconscionable habit that MAY actually be the root cause of what's stopping you, AND YOUR FAMILY, from living more fulfilled lives.
    Money ,time and family commitments would have been my answer had I answered in that thread. That does not mean those who answered that way are living unfulfilled lives or are guilty of " waste, inefficiency, unbridled consumerism, materialism, shopping". For me it simply means I have chosen a lifestyle that encompasses many things in an effort to achieve a balance. Balance of family, finance and my personal desires, such as hiking( or any other pastime). For me, hiking is currently my escape, my vacation, my release and my connection to nature. I feel that hiking gives balance to , and enhances my overall life. I dream of exotic hikes, and I will do some of them when the time is right. I will never do all of them.

What if I edited my life so I could hike everywhere I wanted? Any time I wanted? Would that be better? I think not. I have chosen my life and I am happy with it. I strive for a balance and hiking helps me achieve that. Where would the balance be if I edited my life to the point I could hike everywhere, all the time? I think then I would dream of stability and growing roots, the opposite of what hiking gives me.

I do agree with some of your points such as " disconnection from Nature, and prioritized connection to money, hence enslaving unnecessary debt, that clutters up our lives" but I feel ditching it all to wander the trails of ones mind would be just falling into another trap and would not provide a more fulfilling life at all. Seems it would do just the opposite. Societal needs and cultural norms evolve in humans to provide informal understandings that govern individuals' behavior in society. They are ever changing and reflect a society as a whole. They help provide stability and balance by giving members of a society a moral compass to follow. Without that, we would be lost.

That does not mean we do not control our own fate. For example you cite accumulation of "stuff" which leads to cluttered lives. I agree with that notion, but it goes both ways. Not accumulating, or editing it all away, could lead to instability and an inability to provide what truly is needed.

If I edited my life so I could hike all the time, going wherever I wanted, doing whatever I wanted I would be a hobo. And selfish. And I would be unhappy and unfulfilled. My wife and kids don't want to hike all the time. My wife wants be on a beach somewhere. I would not be happy if I did not provide her with a means and opportunity to do that. I am also certain hiking would no longer be what I wanted to do. What would be the point?

Conversely if I never hiked, only worked and consumed material things etc, I would be empty and unhappy. I would not have all that I gain from hiking. Things such as connection to nature, time to reflect, ability to distress and detach from that cluttered and material life and so much more I get out of it.

Balance is key grasshopper. Without it nothing is right.

Garlic
    Images

Another way to achieve goals is the Mr Money Mustache way, "financial freedom through badassity." It's a great blog, iconoclastic at times. My wife and I read every issue, nodding and chuckling. If we had the internet thirty five years ago (and were talented writers and researchers, by the way), we could have written it. The hiking lifestyle helps one understand it, that's for sure.

To add to Mtsman's list, ever see the 100 thing challenge?
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Another way to achieve goals is the Mr Money Mustache way, "financial freedom through badassity." It's a great blog, iconoclastic at times. My wife and I read every issue, nodding and chuckling. If we had the internet thirty five years ago (and were talented writers and researchers, by the way), we could have written it. The hiking lifestyle helps one understand it, that's for sure.

To add to Mtsman's list, ever see the 100 thing challenge?
    Thanks for the cool links Garlic, very interesting and practical...Bookmarked

There is no "one size fits all" approach to this issue. Some people are just out of school and have very little in their way to do a thru hike, others are older and have commitments they have made which have a high priority and may preclude walking out of life into a 5 month vacation. As pointed out, balance is important, which is why section and day hiking remain a means to completing long trails alongside a dedicated thru hike.

Isn't life all about materialism? All animals are on a constant, never-ending hunt for materials, they will die without them. We are simply animals with an unusual brain that allows us to gather materials well beyond those of other animals. Even science confirms the world is materialistic. http://www.metanexus.net/essay/evolu...y-meaning-life

Seems like people are searching for a new religion, because the old ones don't work any longer. http://www.drgaryschwartz.com/POST-MATERIALISM.html

Mr Money Mustache has always resonated with me because my history is very similar to his and I have a nearly identical philosophy. Still, in my 20s and early 30s I accumulated a lot of unnecessary stuff, drove a ridiculously excessive and expensive truck, lived in a home way too large for me, etc. Despite the mistakes I've done well enough to afford to be able to hike as much as I want. I could hike full time if I chose to ignore family and didn't work at all. But I don't want to ignore family and there are aspects to my work that I enjoy especially in the years since I've been entirely independent. So to everything there must be a balance. Almost everyone can get by with less than they consume today, myself included. I have eliminated most waste but not all. I own a small home (own it, not "rent" it via a mortgage), but in a very expensive metro area. I sold my car, rented out my parking spot, and take public transit everywhere not because I cannot afford a car but because absence of that object creates more freedom. But yesterday I sat in a coffee shop reading for several hours consuming cappuccinos at $3.25 a pop because I enjoy that setting. I could have sat at my home office drinking coffee for 0.25 a cup or less but that would have detracted from my experience yesterday.

The most memorable vacation I ever took was between my 2nd and 3rd year of college ... A week backpacking in Yosemite ... And it cost under $100. I spent 50x times as much on a three week trip to the Alps in Sept... Epic scenery and very enjoyable but not as memorable as that Yosemite trip 23 years ago. Some of the best experiences are free or very cheap! Too many people correlate what they spend with enjoyment and that isn't always the case..

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    ...But yesterday I sat in a coffee shop reading for several hours consuming cappuccinos at $3.25 a pop because I enjoy that setting. I could have sat at my home office drinking coffee for 0.25 a cup or less but that would have detracted from my experience yesterday...
    I started reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when it came out and didn't finish it, but one thing I took away from that book was that once you achieve financial freedom (it sounds like you have if you own your house) it's really OK to "reward" yourself once in a while! On my AT hike, my town food expenses exceeded my trail food expenses. So you bet, I rewarded myself with nice meals very often!
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

This thread and its content really coincides with the documentary out "Racing Extinction". Curious who watched it and what you thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my AT hike, my town food expenses exceeded my trail food expenses. So you bet, I rewarded myself with nice meals very often!
    Regarding rewarding yourself, I used to think that a good way to do this on-trail was to stay in private rooms hotels or motels when available but all that did was remove me from the trail community and the wilderness I was there to enjoy. Not planning to stay in very many motels next year. Like you, my main indulgence will be town food expenses!

Images

One does not have to completely do without in order to achieve their goals. Like everything else, it's all about balance. If you really want something, you will be willing to figure out how to make it happen and then you will follow through. Doesn't mean you will ALWAYS get that something, but you definitely will not achieve your goal if you don't make the effort to try to make it happen.

Yes, life is busy and EVERYONE has commitments (people, work, causes they are helping, etc) in life. That doesn't mean you can't work toward your goal at the same time as you are fulfilling your commitments. Commitments might be a hurdle on the way toward your goal, but if you really want to achieve that goal, you will still keep moving forward. Commitments don't have to stop you.

No money to go to that do that activity/see that place you have always wanted to see? Figure out a financial plan to make it happen, then put it to work.

No time because of family? That still doesn't have to stand in your way... It just means that you can't go do that whatever it is right now. That doesn't mean you have to completely stop thinking about/working toward your goal. Keep researching and planning in the meantime. Take smaller trips/classes that might enhance the larger trip on you will take on down the road.

No time because of work? Most of us do have to work. That doesn't mean we have to completely put plans on hold. Do smaller trips (day hikes, etc) and less expensive/less time consuming activities in the meantime.

The biggest thing stopping someone from doing something is usually the limits they have placed on themselves. There are obviously valid exceptions and this does not apply to everyone. Just because you have obligations, it does not mean you can't also work toward something you want. However, many people like instant gratification. When they don't get what they want it is easier to come up with an excuse for why they can't have that something, rather than toward their goal.

Like I said, there are valid reasons for not being able to instantly having your goal at this very moment... but, it doesn't mean you have to stop working toward your goal, or having experiences. The key is to balance the working toward your goal while still fulfilling your commitments. If someone really wants something, they will not let anything STOP them from reaching that goal. There might be setbacks/things keeping them from reaching that goal at this moment, but nothing will STOP that person.

Another way to achieve goals is the Mr Money Mustache way, "financial freedom through badassity." It's a great blog, iconoclastic at times. My wife and I read every issue, nodding and chuckling.
    Thanks for the link - it is great reading. Part of what he is saying is how people used to live before credit cards. Save the money first, then buy the item.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

It is the same as if all these traps were buckled to a man's belt, and he could not move over the rough country where our lines are cast without dragging them — dragging his trap. He was a lucky fox that left his tail in the trap. The muskrat will gnaw his third leg off to be free. No wonder man has lost his elasticity. How often he is at a dead set!. . . One young man of my acquaintance, who has inherited some acres, told me that he thought he should live as I did, if he had the means. I would not have any one adopt my mode of living on any account; for, beside that before he has fairly learned it I may have found out another for myself, I desire that there may be as many different persons in the world as possible; but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. The youth may build or plant or sail, only let him not be hindered from doing that which he tells me he would like to do. It is by a mathematical point only that we are wise, as the sailor or the fugitive slave keeps the polestar in his eye; but that is sufficient guidance for all our life. We may not arrive at our port within a calculable period, but we would preserve the true course. - From Walden, H.D. Thoreau
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Discipline, goals, responsibilities, wants, needs.
    In balance.

The only thing that I would add; some choose family some don't and which is a big fork in the road of life that shapes your goals.
    The bothersome thing I see is that many who make the choice to have a family, automatically resign themselves to delay or set aside other things.

Like others I viewed it as an all or nothing proposition for nearly ten years of my life, while more difficult to responsibly change that, it is possible to regain the balance and happily enjoy both family and personal life.

Ultimately I came to realize that buckling down into imbalance was irresponsible to my wife and family.
    I owe it to my wife to be the man she married, and I owe it to my children to be a balanced person.
    Balanced parents raise balanced children.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Isn't life all about materialism? All animals are on a constant, never-ending hunt for materials, they will die without them. We are simply animals with an unusual brain that allows us to gather materials well beyond those of other animals. Even science confirms the world is materialistic. http://www.metanexus.net/essay/evolu...y-meaning-life Seems like people are searching for a new religion, because the old ones don't work any longer. http://www.drgaryschwartz.com/POST-MATERIALISM.html
    And if we're to boil it down further, we too are (little more than) material. A life-form we call human, about to pass on our matter (our material) back to other life-forms in due time. Recycling, materially, otherwise known as reincarnation. Even all that we humans construct, our tidy little mess, will be recycled in due time.

"If my decomposing carcass helps nourish the roots of a juniper tree or the wings of a vulture—that is immortality enough for me. And as much as anyone deserves." ~Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    And if we're to boil it down further, we too are (little more than) material. A life-form we call human, about to pass on our matter (our material) back to other life-forms in due time. Recycling, materially, otherwise known as reincarnation. Even all that we humans construct, our tidy little mess, will be recycled in due time.

"If my decomposing carcass helps nourish the roots of a juniper tree or the wings of a vulture—that is immortality enough for me. And as much as anyone deserves." ~Edward Abbey
    There you go. I don't see the problem

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++