WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trekker or Lunar Solo....Go

Ok. Been giving myself headaches over the past few months about What tent to buy. Originally was between the TT Notch/Rainbow or the Lunar Solo. With the deals going on right now I have decided to go with a SMD rather than TT. Just more cost effective for me for roughly the same weight.

So the issue I have now is the Solo or the Trekker. Originally was leaning Solo but have started to pull a 180. The Solo seems to be the more popular of the 2 and I am not sure why. Same listed weight. I am 6'3 200lbs and the trekker seems to offer more head room with the 2 pole system. Ability to open up both sides is really appealing. Smaller footprint than the Solo but with less "wasted" Space. Only thing holding me back is perceived vestibule space. I know the trekker has 2 vs the Solo's 1 but in the pics and videos I have looked at the Lunars one seems to be a bit more useable.

I think I have made my choice. Just looking for a little nudge in the direction maybe. Anybody have experience with both they can offer an opinion.

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse with this one but just need a little help to pull the trigger. Thanks.

Lunar Solo: Larger inside if you want gear in tent with you.
    Easy 1 pole setup.
    Larger footprint can make finding space to pitch a little harder.
    Low back wall means sleeping in the front half of the tent.
    Large vestibule.
    Your head can end up pretty close to a wall.
    I like this shelter but I can see the advantage of two vestibules that can be pulled back in warm weather. I think the Trekker vestibules are plenty big enough to store gear. Two entries give you more pitching options as well. I also like the idea of no solid tent wall too close to my face as I am a side sleeper.

Some footage on the Trekker that may help you in making your decision. (BTW, there is a chance that I will be selling mine, but I won't know for about a month or so about that. If you are looking to pick this up for a great price, I'll be ready to sell after the holidays, if I am going to do it.)

3:10 - 3:31 Setting up.
    4:08 - 5:01 Shows inside height room with me sitting up.
    16:18 - 19:39 Tour of the tent and gear storage. Examples of open fly options.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Trekker may be bigger, or at least longer. I know that I chose it for myself because it was long and I'm 6'4''. I really like it. The two poles make it feel roomy too me and I love the dual entry/vestibule. I can pitch mine in 2 minutes. I like that it only requires 5 stakes. I like that it's a tent with a floor and bug net all in one. Easy.

You are right about the length. The Trekker is 13" longer albeit it goes to a point at the head end. The Lunar Solo is 90" long.

I don't have any experience with the trekker but I recently purchased and used a Lunar Solo...check out my review

https://microhiking.wordpress.com/20...nd-setup-2015/

Thanks for the input. Pulled the trigger on the Trekker. Will post some comments once I test it out.

++ New Posts ++