WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    Most SteriPen models require wider opening. SteriPen has one model that will fit narrow-mouth bottles but I think its batteries cannot be replaced (though I may be wrong on this.)
    It's the opposite. The cheapest Steripen models, also the heaviest, that takes 4 AA's (disposable or rechargeable), can fit the narrowest opening which is a standard soda bottle size, perhaps smaller. The next category that takes a unusual battery size (CR-123 - disposable, or CR-123R rechargable) is smaller and lighter and can take a gatoraide bottle cap or larger. All the above is replaceable batteries.

The most expensive but lightest option is the non-user replaceable battery model (Freedom), which recharges via USB and needs a cap larger then a gatoraide bottle. Finding a bottle that complements the lowest weight (so keeps it the lowest in terms of a total water purification system including water weight), and leak proof but large enough to fit this Freedom model is a challenge.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    It's the opposite. The cheapest Steripen models, also the heaviest, that takes 4 AA's (disposable or rechargeable), can fit the narrowest opening which is a standard soda bottle size, perhaps smaller. The next category that takes a unusual battery size (CR-123 - disposable, or CR-123R rechargable) is smaller and lighter and can take a gatoraide bottle cap or larger. All the above is replaceable batteries.

The most expensive but lightest option is the non-user replaceable battery model (Freedom), which recharges via USB and needs a cap larger then a gatoraide bottle. Finding a bottle that complements the lowest weight (so keeps it the lowest in terms of a total water purification system including water weight), and leak proof but large enough to fit this Freedom model is a challenge.
    Last summer a friend showed me what I think was SteriPen Ultra model that will fit narrow bottles and also has to be recharged via USB cable (same list price as Freedom): http://www.steripen.com/ultra/

It's the opposite. The cheapest Steripen models, also the heaviest, that takes 4 AA's (disposable or rechargeable), can fit the narrowest opening which is a standard soda bottle size, perhaps smaller. The next category that takes a unusual battery size (CR-123 - disposable, or CR-123R rechargable) is smaller and lighter and can take a gatoraide bottle cap or larger. All the above is replaceable batteries. ...........
    I have both the Classic steripen (4 AA batteries) and the Adventurer (bought in 2008). The Classic will fit a soda bottle or larger but nothing smaller. The Adventurer I have needs a bottle wider than a Gatorade bottle like a Nalgene wide mouth.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    Last summer a friend showed me what I think was SteriPen Ultra model that will fit narrow bottles and also has to be recharged via USB cable (same list price as Freedom): http://www.steripen.com/ultra/
    Yes, I forgot about the Ultra model, it is basically the 'cheapest/heaviest/largest' form factor updated with a internal rechargeable battery (which does make it a little lighter) and a LCD display. Yes it does fit the standard
    soda bottle.

Would really like to see a Steri Pen in the form factor of the freedom with the ability to use with a standard soda bottle.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I have both the Classic steripen (4 AA batteries) and the Adventurer (bought in 2008). The Classic will fit a soda bottle or larger but nothing smaller. The Adventurer I have needs a bottle wider than a Gatorade bottle like a Nalgene wide mouth.
    A gatoraide bottle will sort of work, I've seen it. You need to fill it to the brim and no you can't stir it, but have seen several people using it that way. I don't accept the effectiveness of not being able to stir the water, but it does fit unless something changed or I was in a wormhole at the time that I saw it.

A gatoraide bottle will sort of work, I've seen it. You need to fill it to the brim and no you can't stir it, but have seen several people using it that way. I don't accept the effectiveness of not being able to stir the water, but it does fit unless something changed or I was in a wormhole at the time that I saw it.
    You are right that if you fill the gatorade bottle until water is spilling out then the unit will turn on and you are also right that you can't stir the water with it like you are supposed to or the unit will shut off. Not to be argumentative, but if you can't use the unit with a gatorade bottle like it was intended to be used then you can't count on the water being treated properly then it seems to me that it really won't fit in the bottle.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Wider mouth bottles are harder to drink and walk at the same time. At least without getting some on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I like the wider mouth Gatorade bottles. Using a Sawyer Squeeze it's easier to get the water in the bottle. Using an aqua mira tablet, ditto. Easier to drink from, for me anyway. They cost a buck at the grocery store and come filled with free Gatorade.
    Me too. I get them for free from the recycling dumpster and then I don't have to drink the Gatorade. Also, the deep groove around the Gatorade bottles make them easy to strap to my shoulder straps with mini bungee cords. 20 oz on each strap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++