WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries

Default Why do we humans need to reduce the bear population?

The widest, and possibly the longest bear hunt is set to open in New Jersey on Monday 12/7. It is very difficult for me, as a hiker and a nature enthusiast to understand the thinking that goes into making decisions like this. Why are some estimated 3500 black bears in the state too many?
    I read an article in my local newspaper that stated a simple fact: If humans were more careful about how they dispose of food scraps, and didn't go so far as to feed the bears (deliberately), we would not need to reduce the bear population. Yet no one has attempted to write legislation to "seal the lid" on trash cans, and impose heavy fines, and even jail time (or at least community service) for those who feed bears.
    It's a simple problem, with a simple solution - and killing 20% of the bear population is not the solution.

If we humans didn't continue to invade the bears' territory by tearing down forests to build homes, we wouldn't have the problem. The main reason New Jersey has such a problem with bears, is that people have pushed their homes into the bears' territory, giving the bears easy meals, and causing them to habituate with man. Then, when the same bears go back into the forest, and come across hikers on the trails, they immediately associate those hikers with food, and begin tracking them. In September, the Ramapo State forest was closed because "aggressive bears" were tracking hikers.

I rarely hike in New Jersey because of the bear problem; especially during the warmer months. I have already decided that if I want to complete the AT in sections, I will be doing the New Jersey section in the dead of winter - when bears are hibernating, and humans are mostly indoors.

picnic_table_bear.jpg

Please do your share to save the bears!

Arden
    Last edited by Arden; 12-06-2015 at 21:07.

++ New Posts ++