Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking Can we talk about hair?

I've searched the archive & not found this discussion. I'd like input from current & past thru-hikers. I color my hair to cover gray. I have for many years. It is clear to me that maintaining my hair color will be impossible while on a thru-hike.

It is an opportunity to get to whatever the natural color is but what are all the options? My hairdresser seemed to be on board with taking my color to what we think it's color is just before starting & letting new growth grow in without the stark line. Likely it is gray with white streaks under there. Now that I'm sure I'm going, she seems to have lost her nerve to change the color.

Letting it grow out against the current color and having a 6 month growing stripe at the hair-line makes me anxious. It seems like there should be a way to do it without looking horrific & being mistaken for a homeless woman every time I come off trail.

How have others handled this issue? Am I the only one sweating it?

First thing's first - Are you a lady or a fella?

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    First thing's first - Are you a lady or a fella?
    Ignore that - just saw the forum title.

I'll get me coat.

Cut it real short and then let it grow back out. Lots of advantages to having short hair on a thru hike.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Kjp View Post
    Letting it grow out against the current color and having a 6 month growing stripe at the hair-line makes me anxious. It seems like there should be a way to do it without looking horrific & being mistaken for a homeless woman every time I come off trail.

Do you go around judging people like that, assuming they are homeless because of their hair? I don't think most people do, and certainly would never think a person looks "horrific" due to hair color. If the odd person does, so what? How does that have any real impact on you? I wouldn't worry about it at all, as long as you are content and accept yourself others will follow suit. Personally, I'd be appreciative of such a thing as I'd see it as a person allowing their true self to come out. I think undertaking a long-distance hike is a great opportunity to let go of attachments like this, especially any connected to what you think others might think.

You could do what my wife did a couple years ago and shave your head. If you do you'll want some sort of head covering to not get too much sun exposure until the hair starts growing back though, since the skin there is not used to exposure and will burn very easily.

My wife suggests that if anyone asks, tell them it's your version of the stylish "ombe" look.

OG
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Chill out, raptelan. Freakin' chill out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Foot View Post
    Chill out, raptelan. Freakin' chill out.
    I am chill. Text is hard sometimes, please try to re-read in a more chill tone than it probably came across as which is what I intended.

It takes a degree of accepting less maintenance to even be on the trail. I believe smell will be a greater obstacle than looks. Your standards of maintenance off the trail may conflict with what you are willing to accept on the trail. My wife has very long hair. She has never colored it. It is changing color. I believe it is beautiful. I have made it clear that I accept her choice no matter what it is. I believe your struggle has more to do with your perception of your self than what others will think. You will be crossing many towns. These towns, no doubt, sell something that you can use to highlight, dye, bleach, etc. I must be as blunt as raptelan. I do not give a second thought about what others choose for hair style or color. I have seen some choices that seem a bit over the top. I have learned that those choices do not necessarily give a good benchmark to say much about the person. If a person judges you as homeless or horrific, that is their issue, not yours. They are the one with the problem with looks, not you. Relax. You are not the first or last that will look a bit disheveled on the trail. In fact, if you maintain a great look, you will look out of place. We all look and smell a bit funny after a while out there. You will be in good company.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I've searched the archive & not found this discussion. I'd like input from current & past thru-hikers. I color my hair to cover gray. I have for many years. It is clear to me that maintaining my hair color will be impossible while on a thru-hike.

It is an opportunity to get to whatever the natural color is but what are all the options? My hairdresser seemed to be on board with taking my color to what we think it's color is just before starting & letting new growth grow in without the stark line. Likely it is gray with white streaks under there. Now that I'm sure I'm going, she seems to have lost her nerve to change the color.

Hey Kjp! I haven't thru hiked but that has never stopped me from giving an opinion.

If it matters to you, then cover the gray. From my own hair-coloring experience and what I know about thru hiking from others, you should have enough time in town every few months to get it colored. You will hike near plenty of towns that have multiple hair salons and sometimes you can walk in without an appointment.

If you're ready to go back to your natural color, I say go for it...get a real pretty shade of gray that's similar to what you have. That's my plan too.

Once you start hiking if you decide that it doesn't bother you...well, that's extra money you'll have for your hike.

And since we're talking about hair...

After hiking for multiple days, when I finally get to wash and condition my hair, I'll shed more than normal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Maybe use the wash in stuff if you want, maybe once a month. That's not too much trouble. We really don't care what your hair looks like. And another thing you can stop shaving your legs and pits if you want. We don't care about that either.
    It's your hike enjoy and embrace it.

Appearance is the last thing I worry about when I am backpacking...as Birdbrain mentioned, you really do have to accept a lower level of maintenance that you would off-trail. I usually keep my hair pulled back in a ponytail and wear a hat or bandanna, which may help you feel less self-conscious while your color is growing out.

One option you might want to talk with your hairdresser about is a demi-permanent color or wash. The color will fade out gradually, letting your naturally color show through little by little. I did that when I dyed my hair red with a permanent hair color (bad mistake, didn't go to my usual salon!) and couldn't stand the way it looking growing out. My hairdresser used a demi-permanent auburn, since my natural color is light brown, and the grow out process was nice and gradual.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Traffic Jam, I only wash my hair once a week and I shed a lot in the shower. I was sort of concerned about it, but then I read on the No More Dirty Looks blog that the shedding is actually happening slowly each day, and the loose hairs just get caught on other hair until they get washed out in the shower. I've read that the average person loses about 100 strands of hair a day, and so in the shower you may see quite a lot of hair if you go awhile between washes.

Quote Originally Posted by TinyLegs View Post
    Traffic Jam, I only wash my hair once a week and I shed a lot in the shower. I was sort of concerned about it, but then I read on the No More Dirty Looks blog that the shedding is actually happening slowly each day, and the loose hairs just get caught on other hair until they get washed out in the shower. I've read that the average person loses about 100 strands of hair a day, and so in the shower you may see quite a lot of hair if you go awhile between washes.
    Thanks, that makes sense.

I've been cutting my hair shorter and shorter every few months, just to get my family, friends and myself used to the look of me in close cropped hair. I too, color my hair, and this will give me the opportunity to cut it short, and let nature take it's course! While on the trail, I figure, I will be going through so many personal and physical changes hair may as well be one of them. All of these I am looking forward to with zeal!! Let go and let loose.

Journal Entries

Default Handling Hair coloring while long distance hiking

I am a 62 yr old woman hiker with frizzy curly hair just below my shoulders when dry. I colored it the week before I left, had one shampoo/condition and hit the AT in GA in March. I honestly dont think I took my hat off until I reached MAX Patch North of the GSMNP. Then I switched to a headband. Gatlinburg,Hot Springs, Erwin, Damascus are southern towns that all have supermarkets and pharmacy type stores. Gather some ladies and gents from the woods, pick your same brand - different color if you want and everybody have a dye the hair night, do the dye yourself. I didnt do mine until Damascus. Next time B4 Vermont. It just kind of takes a back seat when youre having the time of your life. If you are hiking the AT southbound there is a great hair dresser in Rangely Maine and a masseur in Andover. Not washing your hair, like the frequency we do at home tends to really make your hair soft. JUST dont get it wet in the freezing rain at below 32 degrees - it will break off if you bend it. Cracks like an icicle, guys beards too. Happy Hiking.

As said you're hiking the AT not bushwacking through Siberia. Plenty of towns where you'll can find acceptable places for a DIY or salon dye job. I like Lynette's suggestion, if one get over the self consciousness, make it a fun small group dyeing affair.

BTW, Kjp it's not that unusual to be mistaken for being homeless when LD hiking. Don't let what others think totally decide your self esteem. Even though I do keep a rather more neat appearance as a LD hiker than the avg person I totally agree with BirdBrain and QHShowoman, "you really do have to accept a lower level of maintenance than you would off-trail."

Thanks for the great ideas. I'm actually looking forward to going to whatever natural color is under there & embracing the lower level of maintenance. I really don't want to have to figure out how to maintain hair while i'm hiking. However, I'd like a graceful way to get there without the root stripe. I'm not sure why my hairdresser is now getting cold feet over the prep we had planned. Maybe it's more complicated to strip off the existing hair color than I realize - dunno.

I thought the suggestions for demi-permanent color or to go really short were good too. Going really short might be tougher than enduring the root stripe since i've never gotten my hair cut shorter than shoulder length in my life. Thanks all.

Just let nature take it's course and be done with it. Start now and it will be mostly done by the time you leave. Unless your going from jet black to pure white, I doubt many will even pick up on the change until it's well advanced. And by then you'll be out the door.

Longish hair does help in the early spring months to keep your neck warm, but once it warms up you'll want to trim it way back.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++