WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Hiking the Full SNP

I'm planning my hike next year thru the entire SNP. I was wondering how long it takes more experienced hikers. Id even like to know some of the slower times just to be able to come up with a good number. Ill be hiking from Linden south thru the SNP. Id love to get some pointers! All help is more than Welcomed!!! Thanks!

Images

It took us five days to hike from Swift Run Gap to Front Royal, then it took me 3.5 days to hike south from SRG to Rockfish gap. So, 8.5 days total, though I think if I were doing it all in one hike it would be less than 8 (late start first day of both hikes, for example). We are section hikers -- the thru-hikers do it in 4-5 days.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Call it a hundred miles, and generally easy walking.
    Figure 8-10 miles per day if you're asking the question, though many do 15 easy enough.
    A week to 10 days is safe on the average side.

Matt Kirk did it in 24 hours, but he's slightly above average.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I started my first-ever AT section at Waynesboro and did SNP in 7 days (including an afternoon off to go to town and resupply). I was just in okay shape at that time. As the AT goes, this is pretty mellow terrain.

Images

You didn't say when "next year" you planned this hike but assuming it to be in warmer weather.
    If so there will be Waysides open for grill type food options & food resupply every 3 days, therefore plan on carrying only a couple days of food.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

5 1/2 days NOBO as part of a longer section in spring 2014. I timed it so the waysides would be open.

We will be out there Mid October next year

Thanks for all your responses!

Images

did it in basically 5 days. maybe call it 5 and 1/4"

very experienced hikers, ie fast moving thrus, can do it in 4 easily, more than a few possibly in 3. i cant entirely explain why, but its way easier than it looks on a map.

frankly, unless you are inexperienced or are one who likes to indulge in a large amount of lallygagging, i cant fathom spending 8 days hiking there, if youre sticking to just the AT that is.

My hiking partner and I are in our 50s, but are experienced hikers. We average 15 miles per day. We generally average 2.0 to 2.6 MPH, including short stops. And we take about 1 hour stop mi day. So, we can do our 15 in about 8.5 hours. SNP is not TOO rough, but there are some hills and tough spots.

It took me and my wife 4 days. The first week in April when the waysides open is a great time to do this section. We only saw maybe 10 folks on the trail and no car traffic!

Rockfish Gap - Front Royal: I hiked this with my friend who had no backpacking experience and our two sons, ages 12 and 14 at the time. We did it in 9 days, which was good for their experience and desire. Our days ended by about 2:30-3pm... allowing the boys to chill and explore (and moms to take a nap!).

Images

Plan for 8 days.

Striker, I am planning the same section hike in late April. I have budgeted for about 12 days I want to take my time and enjoy the trip, maybe I'll see you up there!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Plan for at least seven days. More likely eight or nine. If you find you are "ahead of schedule," add some side trail loops that begin on the AT and put you back on the AT further ahead. Some of these, in my opinion, are much better than just staying close to the ridgeline AT and are what the "real" Shenandoah NP is all about. Camping spots down either the east or western sides are often superb--near streams, some not far from waterfalls and cascades, or within a half mile or so of cabins/historical sites, etc.

Get the three-set SNP maps with guidebook from PATC.net and you'll see at least a dozen of these possible side trips.

++ New Posts ++