WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Advice on Suches GA hostels

Wolf pen Gap Country store vs. Hiker Hostel vs.High Valley Resort and why. thanks for any good or bad advice.
    see you on the trail

What is your trip distance?

Thru or Section? I did not stay at any hostels in GA, just tented all the way thru except at TOG but I wish I had walked on by.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

No experience with other ones, but I highly recommend the Hiker Hostel. Outstanding place, food, and unbeatable price. Hiker Hostel is in Dahlonega.

hiker hostel bunk room..immaculate.

HH.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-12-2015 at 18:22.

hiker hostel.best choice

I took a shower at wolf pen gap country store in may of this year. Not very clean. I would try somewhere else.

What about the Mountain Crossing Hostel at Neel's? I'm local, so I've never stayed but curious. Love the store.

Images

Hiker Hostel is a great place to start a Northbound thru-hike. I really enjoyed their services and thought that it was a great deal, including the pick up at the bus station & drop off at the Falls...

Mountain Crossing Hostel is a cool spot to stop off for a day if and when your body is aching, your gear is iffy, and you are looking for a little Q&A-action. Good folks... I've never bought anything but junk food from the store, but it's good window shopping and great company. I shot the bull with the folks working there for hours... very good company indeed.
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Hiker Hostel is the go to place in the area.

Not a hostel, but the first shelter on the trail is right behind the visitor center at Amicalola....why not stay there?

I have stayed at Hiker Hostel at Woody Gap, Neel Gap, Enota Mountain Retreat at Unicoi Gap and Top of Georgia at Dick's Creek Gap. Hiker Hostel sets a standard that is hard for the others to equal. The breakfast deal is almost too good to believe. They include sheets and blankets on the bed, as does Enota. Hiker Hostel maintains a home like temperature. Enota had a space heater that did not warm the bunk house above 50 degrees. Neel Gap was warm enough, but had quite a few mice. The building is old, but the selection of food for resupply was far better than any of the others. As a full service outfitter, they have anything you need to augment, or weight reduce your gear. Top of Georgia has a warm bunk house, and was very clean. They provide a set of medical scrubs upon arrival so that you may have your clothing washed and take a shower without having to wear your rain suit. TOG does the laundry for you and has resupply. TOG and HH have very nice kitchens for guests. Neel Gap has a microwave, sink and refrigerator. Enota does not even have a card table in the bunk house. The space heater was missing a wheel, so a portion of a log was used to stabilize it. Enota provide a pickup, took me into Hiawassee and then dropped me off back at the AT. The service was good. They have four waterfalls on the property.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kristeninmb View Post
    Wolf pen Gap Country store vs. Hiker Hostel vs.High Valley Resort and why. thanks for any good or bad advice.
    Of the three, have only stayed at Hiker Hostel, with my wife in one of the private rooms. We'd definitely stay there again.

You didn't ask, but we've also stayed at the Lodge at Amicalola Falls State Park. A great place in its own right, right on the approach trail to Springer Mtn. We'd stay there again, too. Same for the Len Foote Hike Inn, though pricey.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Same for the Len Foote Hike Inn, though pricey.
    Amen to that. We were thinking of doing 2 nights during their yearly off-season weekday discounts, but found out they aren't doing that this year. I didn't even pay $200 (after junk fees) for a room at the JW Marriott for our company Christmas Party! Hiker Hostel blows them away as far as accommodations and value.

++ New Posts ++