WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What Music Gets You Pumped Up to Get On The Trail?

Just saw a pre-view commercial for my one of my favorite shows Survivor Man and the song playing was Mountain Man by CrashKings and then I had to Youtube it and found myself rocking out to it and wanting to go hiking.

So what music gets you going? I know there has to be more alternative or rock music about mountains and kinking right??? Can't think of any...

Cabin fever usually has me wanting to get out more.

Trance / EDM -- white noise with a beat.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Woody Guthrie- This Land Is Your Land

But, that's only when I get off trail (into towns, hostels, etc)... while on the trail, I prefer Mother Nature's soundtrack of loons, owls, and the ever persistent whippoorwills!
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

My kids fighting and wife bitching!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kumbaya...
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

I listen to alot of music on trail... it's not that often I can take the opportunity to fully listen to it in town.

Day to day- something about hearing some Appalachian folk music gives me a hankering fer hiking.

On the trail... Bjork if I had to pick a single artist. I think I speak for Lone Wolf too on that one.

I can bebop down the trail to most tunes, but audio books get me pumped.

"into thin air" gets me thinkin' bout hiking.
    "a walk I the woods" another good one.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    My kids fighting and wife bitching!!!...
    Add to that police/fire sirens, microwave ovens incessantly beeping until you service their needs by opening the door or a sun flare knocks out the electricity, car alarms ridiculously going off in the early A.M. hrs in the neighbor's driveway on a $2000 worth 1995 model car that he STILL allows to go off because he does not YET understand how NOT to set it off or disconnect it despite owning it since 1995, LOUD garbage pick ups at 5 a.m. where the "technicians" behave like they are at a rock concert and work in a remotely located metal recycling junkyard, unrestrained barking dogs that bark at EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE and act aggressively always even if you're walking/bicycling on the other side of a public street, unconscious folks who find they MUST employ LOUD powered yard equipment(leaf blowers, weed wackers, mowers, chain saws, etc) at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning, those who think the entire town wants to be enlightened by hearing their brand of music by playing it so loudly they've blown out the auto speakers and set off other car alarms as they drive down the street oblivious to these facts, unloading 3 a.m. freight deliveries at the nearby industrial complex again with incessant beeping of fork lifts while the tractor trailer driver assumes he/she HAS to leave the vehicle running the entire time so the air brakes regularly hiss and psst, and family that thinks it's just dandy stopping by unannounced with their 5 children and three dogs at 7 a.m on a Sat morning when you're making love with the misses on the kitchen counter.

Trick or treaters ringing the doorbell, Christmas carolers, children playing, lightning and thunder all acceptable. Proselytizing Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses and absent minded canvassing for the umpteenth time this yr by roofing sales people offering to replace your roof at HUGE savings despite you having replaced it only three yrs ago ringing the doorbell or coming into your yard attempting to stuff religious pamphlets/tracts and Biz cards into the mailbox or your hand before 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m. NOT acceptable.

This is why I hike.

Registered Offender

Quote Originally Posted by daveiniowa View Post
    So what music gets you going?
    The whistling of the songbirds, the zephyrs soughing through the trees, the coyotes yipping, the crickets chirping, the symphonic sounds of nature...that and more of it is what motivates me.

This song always makes me want to go hiking ... I WANT TO LIVE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dhseqrFHlE

Good one Dogwood!

RUNT '13''

Images

On my most recent hike these were the songs I listened to most:

-Up on Cripple Creek (The Band)
    -Song to Woody (Bob Dylan)
    -Alabama Shakes (Always Alright)
    -Once In A Lifetime (Talking Heads)
    -Sugarman (Rodriguez)
    -Atlantic City (The Band)
    -A Horse With No Name (America)
    -Ramble On & Over The Hills And Far Away (Led Zeppelin)
    -Anything Johnny Cash
    Once in Georgia... anything Otis Redding or Ray Charles...
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Almost like you wrote this one Dogwood...

"Wanderlust", Bjork

i am leaving this harbour
    giving urban a farewell
    its habitants seem too keen on god
    i cannot stomach their rights and wrongs

i have lost my origin
    and i don't want to find it again
    whether sailing into nature's laws
    and be held by ocean's paws

wanderlust! relentlessly craving
    wanderlust! peel off the layers
    until we get to the core

did i imagine it would be like this?
    was it something like this i wished for?
    or will i want more?

lust for comfort
    suffocates the soul
    relentless restlessness
    liberates me (sets me free)

i feel at home
    whenever the unknown surrounds me
    i receive its embrace
    aboard my floating house

wanderlust! relentlessly craving
    wanderlust! peel off the layers
    until we get to the core

did i imagine it would be like this?
    was it something like this i wished for?
    or will i want more?

wanderlust! from island to island
    wanderlust! united in movement
    wonderful! i'm joined with you

wanderlust!

can you spot a pattern?

(relentlessly restless)

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Add to that police/fire sirens, microwave ovens incessantly beeping until you service their needs by opening the door or a sun flare knocks out the electricity, car alarms ridiculously going off in the early A.M. hrs in the neighbor's driveway on a $2000 worth 1995 model car that he STILL allows to go off because he does not YET understand how NOT to set it off or disconnect it despite owning it since 1995, LOUD garbage pick ups at 5 a.m. where the "technicians" behave like they are at a rock concert and work in a remotely located metal recycling junkyard, unrestrained barking dogs that bark at EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE and act aggressively always even if you're walking/bicycling on the other side of a public street, unconscious folks who find they MUST employ LOUD powered yard equipment(leaf blowers, weed wackers, mowers, chain saws, etc) at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning, those who think the entire town wants to be enlightened by hearing their brand of music by playing it so loudly they've blown out the auto speakers and set off other car alarms as they drive down the street oblivious to these facts, unloading 3 a.m. freight deliveries at the nearby industrial complex again with incessant beeping of fork lifts while the tractor trailer driver assumes he/she HAS to leave the vehicle running the entire time so the air brakes regularly hiss and psst, and family that thinks it's just dandy stopping by unannounced with their 5 children and three dogs at 7 a.m on a Sat morning when you're making love with the misses on the kitchen counter.

Trick or treaters ringing the doorbell, Christmas carolers, children playing, lightning and thunder all acceptable. Proselytizing Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses and absent minded canvassing for the umpteenth time this yr by roofing sales people offering to replace your roof at HUGE savings despite you having replaced it only three yrs ago ringing the doorbell or coming into your yard attempting to stuff religious pamphlets/tracts and Biz cards into the mailbox or your hand before 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m. NOT acceptable.

This is why I hike.
    SPOT ON!!!! This song we call "modern day life" stinks!

Journal Entries

Default Trail music

SPOT ON!!!! This song we call "modern day life" stinks!

I like dueling banjos!!

Allman Brothers Band

WSMFP

The String Cheese Incident

Infamous Stringdusters

My kids fighting and wife bitching!!!
    Exactly! And leave the mp3s at home. Nothing better than the sounds of nature on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    Exactly! And leave the mp3s at home. Nothing better than the sounds of nature on the trail.
    Ditto. I never listen to music on the trail. I would rather listen to the birds singing, the woodpeckers drumming, the tree frogs peeping, the water rushing, the wind blowing, etc... Why cover that stuff up? Those with ear buds are missing a huge part of the walk.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

"Happy Birthday"
    Simple is good.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++