WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Boiling Water in Zip Lock Bags?

I heard someone recommend putting food in Zip Lock Freezer bags and pouring boiling water on top of the food and eating out of the Zip Lock Bag. I would think that boiling water could melt a Zip Lock bag or leach out chemicals... maybe I am wrong. Has anyone tried that or recommend it???

I would prefer not taking a bowl because of the extra space, weight, and cleaning involved. I like the idea of the Zip Lock bags but I am not sure if it is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWalker View Post
    I heard someone recommend putting food in Zip Lock Freezer bags and pouring boiling water on top of the food and eating out of the Zip Lock Bag. I would think that boiling water could melt a Zip Lock bag or leach out chemicals... maybe I am wrong. Has anyone tried that or recommend it???

I would prefer not taking a bowl because of the extra space, weight, and cleaning involved. I like the idea of the Zip Lock bags but I am not sure if it is safe.
    Google freezer bag cooking..............most of my meals are made this way

Images

yeah.....

google it..............or as someone who has pulled some time in jail/prison..........

i was at icewater shelter a few years ago, in 4 foot of snow, by myself for most of the day and night when 2 guys came in at like 2 in the morning..............scared the beejeebuz outta me..

i had some pulled pork BBQ hung in the cables that i figured i could get them to eat so i didnt have to haul it out....

so they proceeded to cook it FBC style.....

i was watching of course, as this method has crossed my mind, so i asked about it....

response was----"yeah, both of us did this when we were on the inside to make meals"......

me---oh........

Images
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

should say "or ask"

OK, i just googled it and it does seem popular. They also make some nice cozy bags to keep the zip lock bags warm. I always thought that hot water and cheap plastic was a recipe for eating/drinking chemicals. Thanks!

Images

cheap plastic is....

so you need freezer bags...

using regular bags, i believe, will melt........

Yes it works, no it doesn't leach out chemicals and it's a fairly popular method of preparing meals. In addition to the freezer bags, you need a "cozy" which is an insulated sleeve to place the bag into and keep it hot.

Lighter weight sandwich bags are too thin to support this type of cooking and could fail, creating a mess.

Personally, I just cook in my pot. I don't think it uses all that much more fuel and is easier to clean. Plus, I go through enough zip locks as it is, don't need to be using up any more.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Cozies arent needed

You have insulation to use if think about it

Extra ziplock to double bag weighs less than cozy

You dot need a boil for most meals. Just hot simmering water. And consider using something already carried as a cozy. I use my beanie most of the time, or a bandana, extra shirt, whatever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Images

My cosy is also my fleece hat.

Images

lost my cup ...had to make coffee in zlb .. worked well

Images

I've been using the FBC thing for years, works great. The only thing is: eating out of a flimsy plastic bag is a bit clumsy. A few years ago I "discovered" that a 1-quart, store brand plastic food container (it's like a UL Tupperware container) works great for placing your bag-O-food in while eating out of the bag. It nicely supports the bag making eating a bit easier. I also use them for my morning cereal (also in a bag, nor-freezer). They also act like a bit of a cozy, keeping your food a bit warmer than just laying in the ground.

They weigh 1.0 ounce without the lid (no need for the lid) and cost about $3 for a four pack. One container last a long time, forever really, but they come in 4-packs. This is a similar product, though mine are store-brand (Krogers) and 1 quart:

https://ziploc.com/en/products/conta...-medium-square

Made my cozy out of reflectix...super light and I made it to fit around my cook pot to save space. Everything else, including fuel, sits inside my pot. Using a beanie is fine if you're not wearing it, but if a bag leaks then you have a wet and stinky hat!

I use the flimsy bread/storage bags (not zip-lock bags) and have had none leak. I have "cooked" several hundred meals this way. I store them in my cozy so that sharp-cornered bags don't puncture them. The guy that showed me theses bags had one get punctured this way.

I do use freezer bag zip-locks for pre-measured meals made at home.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I use the Home 360 storage bags (store brand for a few major grocery chains), which are a bit thicker than a sandwich bag, and a bit thinner than a freezer bag. Cheap, doesn't melt, the seams don't rip.

I made cozy out of a cut down/re-sewn insulated lunch bag. I guess I could use my hat, but I usually manage to spill a bit, and the cozy cleans up well. There is a bit of melty adhesion between the plastic bag and the plastic lining of the the cozy, however it always peels apart without damage.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWalker View Post

Boiling water won't melt a ziplock, it may leach out chemicals.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by perdidochas View Post
    Boiling water won't melt a ziplock, it may leach out chemicals.
    The next 20 posts will be hysterical posts about how we are all going to die. From the paranoid crowd...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    The next 20 posts will be hysterical posts about how we are all going to die. From the paranoid crowd...
    You aren't planning on dying? Sounds kind of boring long term.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++