WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Jack's Knob Trail(head)

I was hoping someone could confirm my understanding of this trailhead, which is:

The trailhead closest to the intersection of the Jack's Knob Trail and the AT is at the intersection of GA 180 and 180 Spur. (180 Spur is what you would take if you wanted to drive up to the summit of Brasstown Bald).

I ask because I want to use Jack's Knob Trail to blue blaze over to the AT to dayhike a section between Chattahoochee Gap and Low Gap shelter. Thanks.

Yes, that's correct, there is parking on the north side of the road (180), trail angles off/ and up to the south.
    Last edited by wiel; 12-17-2015 at 09:39.

Keep in mind where it intersects the AT it's called Jack's Gap Trail so you may see it referred to as both.

Journal Entries

The Arkaquah trail is nice too if you want to incorporate it another time. You could hook up with it at the top of Brasstown. Enjoy.
    hikers gonna hike

Yes, that's it. There is trail going both north and south from there. The trail no longer goes over Jacks Knob, that's why sometimes it's called Jacks Gap trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    I was hoping someone could confirm my understanding of this trailhead, which is:

The trailhead closest to the intersection of the Jack's Knob Trail and the AT is at the intersection of GA 180 and 180 Spur. (180 Spur is what you would take if you wanted to drive up to the summit of Brasstown Bald).

I ask because I want to use Jack's Knob Trail to blue blaze over to the AT to dayhike a section between Chattahoochee Gap and Low Gap shelter. Thanks.

I'd like to know your itinerary more fully

I recently did a rather easy weekend duration trip starting on the Wagon Train Tr(easier gentler grade on a much wider path than the single track Arkaquah or Jacks Knob Trs) from the Young Harris TH(hitched there from Neel Gap) to the summit of Brasstown Bald, took the Jacks Knob Tr to Chattahoochee Gap at the AT junction, headed south to Low Gap Shelter for the night for Day 1. A good day in fall with short daylight hrs and a good amount of elevation change. Next day the half day back to Neel Gap to my car.

I'm wondering what you're doing at Low Gap in regard to keeping it a dayhike? If the road is open and it fits into your schedule I'd seek a ride or arrange for a shuttle from Walasi-Yi Center/Mt Crossings to the Brasstown Bald summit parking lot taking in the great view from the top observation tower and hiking to Low Gap Shelter. It's pretty much a descent the whole way and only about a 10 mile total from the summit rather than the almost 8 miler you're anticipating from the 180 spur.

Quote Originally Posted by wiel54 View Post
    Yes, that's correct, there is parking on the north side of the road (180), trail angles off/ and up to the south.
    Thanks. Easy-peezy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    Keep in mind where it intersects the AT it's called Jack's Gap Trail so you may see it referred to as both.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    The Arkaquah trail is nice too if you want to incorporate it another time. You could hook up with it at the top of Brasstown. Enjoy.
    Great tip. Thanks. The more I hike other trails besides the AT, the more I enjoy the contrast and change of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    Yes, that's it. There is trail going both north and south from there. The trail no longer goes over Jacks Knob, that's why sometimes it's called Jacks Gap trail.
    Thanks. At the intersection with the AT at Chattahoochee Gap, one of the signs used the blank side of an old "Plumorchard Gap Shelter" sign. Good thing that's on a gentle stretch; tired hikers might think they're almost to NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I'd like to know your itinerary more fully

I recently did a rather easy weekend duration trip starting on the Wagon Train Tr(easier gentler grade on a much wider path than the single track Arkaquah or Jacks Knob Trs) from the Young Harris TH(hitched there from Neel Gap) to the summit of Brasstown Bald, took the Jacks Knob Tr to Chattahoochee Gap at the AT junction, headed south to Low Gap Shelter for the night for Day 1. A good day in fall with short daylight hrs and a good amount of elevation change. Next day the half day back to Neel Gap to my car.

I'm wondering what you're doing at Low Gap in regard to keeping it a dayhike? If the road is open and it fits into your schedule I'd seek a ride or arrange for a shuttle from Walasi-Yi Center/Mt Crossings to the Brasstown Bald summit parking lot taking in the great view from the top observation tower and hiking to Low Gap Shelter. It's pretty much a descent the whole way and only about a 10 mile total from the summit rather than the almost 8 miler you're anticipating from the 180 spur.
    Thanks for the suggestion. My goal this fall has been to day hike the GA AT (and the approach trail) in a series of out-and-backs where I can get to trail heads in my own car. So, the Jack's trail approach helped me break the section from Hogpen to Unicoi into pieces.

You were right about the smooth sailing for the 5 miles between Chattahoochee and Low Gap. Usually I hike slow; my default is 2 mph. But I did that stretch in less than 2 hours.

++ New Posts ++