WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

I for one am glad his locations may not be in exact real time. I watchex part of the mens marathon during the Olympics. It was near the finish and the guy was In third place. Someone entered the course a d pushed him into the crowd and held him back. It cost the guy a medal. Not knowing exactly where Karl is prevents anyone from unduly hindering his attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    I watchex part of the mens marathon during the Olympics. It was near the finish and the guy was In third place. Someone entered the course a d pushed him into the crowd and held him back. It cost the guy a medal.
    Which Olympics was this?
    Not knowing exactly where Karl is prevents anyone from unduly hindering his attempt.
    Can you tell us when anything akin to this has ever happened?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

It happened during the 2004 Olympics in Athens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanderlei_de_Lima

This years olympics in rio too.

Nope, they showed a tape of the incident during the marathon. There were no incidents during this Olympics.

This years olympics in rio too.
    To who? Rupp was in 3rd for a long time and stayed in 3rd. I've still got the recording and can look but I don't remember anything remotely resembling that.

Anyway, Karl was shooting for another 60 mile today, according to a friend who ran the last few miles in the southern end of Shenandoah Natl Park with him. That would put him south of route 56 and the Priest. But I don't know what he really did once he finished SNP this morning. Sounds like he's doing well though. Looks thin, but not like Jurek in that last week yet.

Grace, my apologies. There was an incident this year. Please ignore my other note.

Some guy jumped over the fence in this year's Olympics, but he was quickly tackled. The incident where the guy went from leading to finishing third after being attacked was in 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by black chucks View Post
    Karl definitely stopped for tonight at Turk Gap, Shenandoah Park. His previous issues appear to have all healed and he was making it look easy.
    And I saw him 3/4 of the way up the Priest on his way to Cash Hollow Road tonight (Sept. 1).

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    ...the exact time Karl left Katahdin isn't known...
    Chair-man, Today Karl told me he left Katahdin at precisely 5:00 am.

(Having started up at 3)

de Lima was involved in the marathon incident in 2004. He ended up winning the bronze, as well as the Pierre de Coubertin medal named after the founder of the modern Olympics, for “exceptional demonstration of fair play and Olympic values.” He is from Brazil and this year was awarded the honor of being the final torch bearer and lighting the cauldron during the opening ceremony.

That's good news. Previous record attempts started at odd times (6:42 and 12 seconds, or something like that). Calculating elapsed time to the minute was annoying. I remember someone commenting that they wished these people would start when the clock was on a nice round number.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    That's good news. Previous record attempts started at odd times (6:42 and 12 seconds, or something like that). Calculating elapsed time to the minute was annoying. I remember someone commenting that they wished these people would start when the clock was on a nice round number.
    I heard in one of the interviews that Karl planned a round start time specifically to make it easier for WB members to create their spreadsheets.

Somewhat seriously; unless you had a good reason to pick a time (my birthday is 7/25 so I like 7:25 for example) I don't know why you would take your sleep deprived crew (or yourself especially) and make an already tricky problem more tricky by randomly starting your hike. If'n yer an early bird, 5am is handy as that's likely when you hit the trail so that every day is a new "day".

But quite seriously- Looks like the ol goat is recovering and moving well once more! Guess Scott (and family?) better hop in the van and head to Damascus.

He's definitely rolling over the last few days. Looks like he'll be between Petite's Gap and the BRP just past Thunder Hill shelter by tonight if he can maintain the pace.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Somewhat seriously; unless you had a good reason to pick a time (my birthday is 7/25 so I like 7:25 for example) I don't know why you would take your sleep deprived crew (or yourself especially) and make an already tricky problem more tricky by randomly starting your hike. If'n yer an early bird, 5am is handy as that's likely when you hit the trail so that every day is a new "day".
    I think the odd start times are mostly due to the fact that getting to the beginning of the trail isn't as easy as getting out of your car.

On Katahdin especially, I could see getting up there, snapping a few pictures, and heading out as soon as possible to get the hike started without wasting time/daylight.

And yes, Karl seems to be moving much better now and the records is within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    I think the odd start times are mostly due to the fact that getting to the beginning of the trail isn't as easy as getting out of your car.

On Katahdin especially, I could see getting up there, snapping a few pictures, and heading out as soon as possible to get the hike started without wasting time/daylight.

And yes, Karl seems to be moving much better now and the records is within reach.
    I don't disagree at all; especially regarding Katahdin... if it's not a nice day it's not exactly a place you want to sit around getting hypothermic and wait for the perfect time. There's also an urgency to get underway and a certain ants in yer pants jitters.

Though from very minor experience... if you're capable of planning a trip like this, one would think you could plan to arrive at roughly the time you'd like to start.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I don't disagree at all; especially regarding Katahdin... if it's not a nice day it's not exactly a place you want to sit around getting hypothermic and wait for the perfect time. There's also an urgency to get underway and a certain ants in yer pants jitters.

Though from very minor experience... if you're capable of planning a trip like this, one would think you could plan to arrive at roughly the time you'd like to start.
    Absolutely, and it sounds like Karl did exactly this and departed at 5am.

So what day did Karl start? Aug 3rd or 4th?

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    So what day did Karl start? Aug 3rd or 4th?
    Karl started August 3rd at 5am.

Great, so now we know Karl will have to be on Springer by Sun Sept 18th at 1:07pm to beat Scott's record.

Ironically enough, I've been planning to do a section hike in Georgia in mid Sept so maybe I'll get a chance to see him somewhere north of Neels Gap.

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++