WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

I wish Speedgoat good luck! I think there will be very minimal impact on the trail. I think BSP won't even notice him. I think a supported FKT is a very interesting undertaking. We can learn a lot about nutrition and the challenges of certain trail sections by watching this hike. I think an unsupported FKT is even more interesting. Matt Kirk and Annish are my heroes! I'm 42 and did my own little FKT a couple weeks ago. Damascus to Pearisburg in 5 days. 30 mile days puts one into a an awesome head space! I'm in withdrawl and can't wait to get back out there ASAP!

best of luck to speed goat for sure!
    and you picked a real nice section for pulling thirty mile days, no doubt about that... good job on knocking that out, and agreeing with you on the getting back out is never soon enough!
    thirty-ish mile days give me tingles, smiles, and make me happy

u.w.

Images

Psyched Karl is going for this again. I met him during his 2008 attempt and he's a really cool guy. I'm thinking he might pass me when I'm on the southern part of the LT next month, would be cool to give him a high five on his way through

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    I wish Speedgoat good luck! I think there will be very minimal impact on the trail. I think BSP won't even notice him. I think a supported FKT is a very interesting undertaking. We can learn a lot about nutrition and the challenges of certain trail sections by watching this hike. I think an unsupported FKT is even more interesting. Matt Kirk and Annish are my heroes! I'm 42 and did my own little FKT a couple weeks ago. Damascus to Pearisburg in 5 days. 30 mile days puts one into a an awesome head space! I'm in withdrawl and can't wait to get back out there ASAP!
    Congrats on your trip!
    Something few get the chance to appreciate and understand. Matt Kirk summed it up best, "Fast, Light, & FREE"

Light is key. Coming out of Damascus on the Creeper Trail I got mistaken for a "day hiker" because of my wee little pack. That felt good. 7.5lb base on this one and I carried a way-too-heavy for the heat 40 deg quilt.

For me, it ain't about faster, just longer days. Dark to dark.

Fortunate to met Karl yesterday afternoon around mile marker 39. i'm finishing up a 6 1/2 year section hike of the trail this weekend. Iceman

Images

The link http://atrecord.redbull.com/karl-mel...hian-trail/p/1 was working but it seems to be broken now...hmmmmm

Edit: Found it http://atrun.redbull.com/karl-meltzer-mobile/p/1
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    Fortunate to met Karl yesterday afternoon around mile marker 39. i'm finishing up a 6 1/2 year section hike of the trail this weekend. Iceman
    So, did he start his hike yet or was he just scoping out the trail? This would be the first confirmation that he started...though I was under the impression that real time tracking was in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    So, did he start his hike yet or was he just scoping out the trail? This would be the first confirmation that he started...though I was under the impression that real time tracking was in the works.
    Nothing shows on the tracking website yet: http://atrun.redbull.com/karl-meltze...hian-trail/p/1

I did have some trouble getting into it through and link posted earlier in this thread. I finally got in by typing in atrun.redbull.com.

If I remember right, last time he did this he swore he wouldn't do a 'big media' even because of all the flack he got distracted him from the walking. Wonder if he is delaying the info by a good amount.

Summarizing a few interviews (posted here above I believe)-

He said roughly 8/4-8/9 was a window to start depending on weather.
    There was a plan to do a practice run on the first leg of the trip- so likely any spotting is in relation to that.
    While they are using a spot tracker to document the hike- they will not be using real time tracking (like the Jurker did).

Besides privacy, I believe he mentioned in a podcast interview (talk ultra?) that both he, the ATC and other involved agreed that while documentation and tracking is important for verification of the record; real time tracking was not necessary and potentially bad for the trail.

I got the gist that while "big media" is important for financial and manpower (some pro's provided by Redbull for support); on a day to day basis the goal is to treat it a bit more like any other hiker would. Seemed the balance of promotion and what he got in exchange was the main goal.

So I would expect updates on progress and other blurbs- but would not expect any real time tracking.

On the plus side- going sobo- if he doesn't do well to the VT/Mass border- we'll have a pretty good idea if it will happen or not.

I personally think that a JPD type level of performance on the central and southern halves is reasonable, but overall Karl seems to favor a more steady output and indicated that he has to hold steady and on pace up north.
    Both Matt Kirk and JPD went fairly slow (relative to their linear average) up North and made up ground on the rest of the trail. Course they are both Asheville area kids for what that is worth.

Scott got hurt down south, so it's hard to say what his dailies might have revealed if he was healthy all the way regarding steady pacing versus hitting it hard when you feel you can.
    Karl expressed a believe in the "natural speed limit" of the trail and past experience with how hard it is to make up time- so it's hard to argue with his rough plan of keeping his eye on the daily miles and not relying on any make up days... if anything, many (myself included) expected some late explosions from Scott in terms of miles and that turned into a test of his sleepwalking rather than his speed.

As fer Anish... no splits or even a rough itinerary likely to ever show.

Joey Camps had some very explosive days on the first 3/4 of the trail, and some solid times up north as well- but an injury that undid him... That said; Joey was racing, not pacing... and his achievement is very admirable overall.

No matter how it shakes out- the very best of luck to Karl!

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    I asked him how it was going, and he replied great but it always does the first day. He's fortunate in that in the 100 mile wilderness there wasn't any mud and that the only ford is the West Branch of the Pleasant River. Iceman

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Summarizing a few interviews (posted here above I believe)-

On the plus side- going sobo- if he doesn't do well to the VT/Mass border- we'll have a pretty good idea if it will happen or not.
    I personally think that a JPD type level of performance on the central and southern halves is reasonable, but overall Karl seems to favor a more steady output and indicated that he has to hold steady and on pace up north.
    Both Matt Kirk and JPD went fairly slow (relative to their linear average) up North and made up ground on the rest of the trail. Course they are both Asheville area kids for what that is worth.

No matter how it shakes out- the very best of luck to Karl!
    JB, you know that everyone goes fairly slow (relative to their linear average) up North.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Angle View Post
    I asked him how it was going, and he replied great but it always does the first day. He's fortunate in that in the 100 mile wilderness there wasn't any mud and that the only ford is the West Branch of the Pleasant River. Iceman
    Interesting, so possible he started on the 3rd and this is his 6th day out?!
    I wish they were doing live updates.
    He could be out of Maine today or tomorrow already.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    JB, you know that everyone goes fairly slow (relative to their linear average) up North.

Yar, lol. Worded a bit poorly...
    Guess all I meant-
    Joey was rocking and had a day or so to spare, if he took it, kept his energy level high and exploded after he cleared the whites; it's hard to say even Anish would have bested his time.

JPD was sick and had some issues through the Whites.
    Matt Kirk made a conscious choice to give himself an extra day.

Both turned out pretty well

It's a massive effort to put in even three extra miles or push to sustain 2mph for any period of time; whereas elsewhere on the trail that's just an extra hour of moonlit walking or a slight stretch of the stride. Big mental barrier to put in front of yourself too when numbers in the face of the terrain weigh you down.

No numbers from Anish; but seems if she did one thing better than anyone it was to toss the numbers out of her head and just move with the trail.

Whether by fate or by choice; Jen and Matt both had very productive days after a less than the peak of possibility up north.
    I think a bit of caution and conservation of effort in light of the area is wise... and perhaps leaves a bit more in the tank in the long haul to pop off a few big days here and there.

Easily said from my desk whist day dreaming on my fat ass though.

Looks like Karl has been on his way for few days now. His tracking web site says he's 160.57 miles into his trek. No idea when he started.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair-man View Post
    Looks like Karl has been on his way for few days now. His tracking web site says he's 160.57 miles into his trek. No idea when he started.
    3-4 days ago

Thanks for the catch, time for the popcorn!

Images

It shows average speed as well as total distance. 160.57 miles at 3.93 mph, which if accurate would be a very ambitious start, even for a runner of Karl's ability. That would be less than 2 days...it's probably the average speed while he's on his feet.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    3-4 days ago

Thanks for the catch, time for the popcorn!
    I went to the site this morning. There isn't much going on there in terms of how his hike is going, details on mileage per day, etc.
    Selfishly, this isn't very much fun to follow so far, no popcorn yet.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++