WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Back in the day, you would be correct, but even Karl would admit he's well past his prime at this point. The elite ultra runners winning races lately are beating him by big chunks of time in a 100-mile event.

Karl is in his prime for a multiday event. Not for 100 mile races anymore. It's one thing to run 100 miles fast and a whole other world to run this kind of thing.

Sounds like he made it to Tellico Gap. That's a good sign. Dick's Creek Gap tonight (long day - ~60 mile) then get some sleep and push the rest in one long zombie walk?

More likely we just haven't seen the Bolt equivalent on the AT.
    Anish. FKT for an unsupported backpack of the AT.
    Neither Scott nor Karl could come within a month of her record.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Pure "TK" bulls*&t. Never ends.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Markus 4345 View Post
    Karl is in his prime for a multiday event. Not for 100 mile races anymore. It's one thing to run 100 miles fast and a whole other world to run this kind of thing.
    I would respectfully disagree regarding him being in his prime for 45 consecutive days of middle distance ultras. But, in the end, it doesn't matter...he's going to do it and I would guess he'll beat Jurek by 4-5 hours.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Sounds like he made it to Tellico Gap. That's a good sign. Dick's Creek Gap tonight (long day - ~60 mile) then get some sleep and push the rest in one long zombie walk?
    Not clear about last night. They also said he made it 46 miles at day's end, which puts him at NOC. Maybe they meant he was at 130 whenever they wrote the post this morning. Using "Right now" in a post really doesn't help when the post isn't timely. But at least they are catching up to real time here in the last couple of days.

Took a photo with him at 11:15 am this morning (Friday) at Wayah Gap. He didn't stay more than 3 minutes. Ate a little and proceeded on. His Father is with him off and on. Other than that he is alone.

I've been wondering how much time Scott gave up with all of the meeting fans, running with people, photo ops, etc. We'll never know, but it can't be insignificant. Did he ever comment on that aspect of hike effort in any interviews?

"hike effort" -> "his effort"

waiting for those with the charts and time estimates to chime in with new "updated" estimations of how far he will have to travel in the last 36 hours.

and seriously, thats not sarcasm
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Took a photo with him at 11:15 am this morning (Friday) at Wayah Gap. He didn't stay more than 3 minutes. Ate a little and proceeded on. His Father is with him off and on. Other than that he is alone.
    OK, here's what I got. Way Gap is out 115.7 miles out from Springer. At 11:15 am today 9/16 Karl had exactly 2 days 1 hour and 52 min remaining which means he'll have to keep a 55.64 miles per day pace.

I think if he just stays steady and can go without some sleep he can get this.

Here's another way to look at it. With 49.9 hours remaining from 11:15 am today at Wayah Gap Karl can sleep 12 hours total (6 tonight & 6 Sat night) and just keep a 3.05 miles per hours pace he will tie the record. 3 mph is about what a normal person walks. On a sidewalk that is.
    If he goes with just 4 hours sleep each night the next 2 nights he'll only have to keep a 2.76 mph pace to tie the record. Of course going up the north side of blood mountain it would be hard to keep a 2 mph pace.

Thanks for crunching the numbers. Sounds like he's gonna get there. I agree he most likely beats it by 4-5 hours. Go Karl!

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I think a sub 45-day run is possible but highly improbable given the nature of the event. Cumulative fatigue and injuries along with the almost inevitable caloric deficit are big issues to overcome. Added to that, the logistical problems associated with defined locations for meeting the crew make it tough to add that final couple of extra miles daily.

It would be interesting to see if a top end ultra-runner, in their prime, could fare much better than what we've seen thus far. Maybe Chris McDougall could get a few Tarahumara runners together and let them have a go.
    I think it can be done. Here is a way. Instead of singles running against the clock. Put the top runners on the trail at the same time. Just like the ultras. The time should drop significantly. Let several corporations put up some money, some radio and tv coverage. Bingo. Win Win for all. That is except for the purists.

Here are the most recent updates.

date
    day
    total miles
    vs SJ
    VS JPD
    Miles
    to go
    9-Sep 38 1762.1 US 321, Hampton TN? 55.6 -32.9 6.7 427.1
    10-Sep 39 1810.2 TN 143, Carvers GapTN/NC? 48.1 -22.2 8.5 379.0
    11-Sep 40 1857.4 US 19W, Spivey Gap TN/NC? 47.2 -9.2 10.0 331.8
    12-Sep 41 1908.9 US 25 & 70, Tanyard Gap TN/NC? 51.5 -1.1 15.7 280.3
    13-Sep 42 1950.6 TN 32, Davenport Gap TN/NC? 41.7 -11.1 5.9 238.6
    14-Sep 43 2006.5 Spence Field Shelter, GSMNP TN/NC? 55.9 -5.6 15.2 182.7
    15-Sep 44 2052.1 US 19/74 NOC NC? 45.6 -11.0 12.4 137.1
    Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by NHGreg View Post
    I've been wondering how much time Scott gave up with all of the meeting fans, running with people, photo ops, etc. We'll never know, but it can't be insignificant. Did he ever comment on that aspect of hike effort in any interviews?
    I was in the SNP when he ran by me. I stayed on the trail until dark waiting for him to pass just so I could see him, but I gave up after a while. He must have run by pretty late. Later I met lots of hikers who said they spoke with him as he passed-and what a nice guy he is- so I think he lost some time there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    I was in the SNP when he ran by me. I stayed on the trail until dark waiting for him to pass just so I could see him, but I gave up after a while. He must have run by pretty late. Later I met lots of hikers who said they spoke with him as he passed-and what a nice guy he is- so I think he lost some time there.
    Based on what I've read, it was a constant point of contention with his wife. She kept pointing out how much time he was losing, but he kept taking time for fans and interested bystanders during the whole trip. Add that kind of time up and who knows, maybe a day sooner?
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Anish. FKT for an unsupported backpack of the AT.
    Just Curious, What is the record and who holds it ?
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by brotheral View Post
    Just Curious, What is the record and who holds it ?
    The supported record is held by Scott Jurek: 46 days 8 hours 7 minutes (2015) [NOBO]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    The supported record is held by Scott Jurek: 46 days 8 hours 7 minutes (2015) [NOBO]
    1. Heather "Anish" Anderson 54 days 7 hours 48 minutes (2015) ~42 miles/day
    2. Matt Kirk 58 days 9 hours 40 minutes (2013)

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++