WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hiking in 2050

Default Hiking in 2050

Tonight I was reading some great stories about hiking back in the 70s and 80s in the thread http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...-good-old-days. People seem to be enjoying the stories of heavy equipment, cotton clothing, canned food, lack of a guide, lack of people, etc. But I realized, the external packs, army surplus sleeping bags, 5 lbs. canvas tents, heavy all leather boots, and lipton freeze dried food were state of the art at that time.

This got me thinking that 35 years from now, people will look back at the stories of the thru hiking class of 2015 much the same way as we know think of the class of 1980. Which in turn, got me wondering what hiking the AT, or just hiking in general, will be like in the year 2050.

What will the equipment and clothing be like? What will people be eating? What about the trail towns, and how often will people stop at them? Will the Doyle still be around? What about the AMC huts? Will the northern terminus still be Katahdin? What kind of trail magic will be out there? How many will thru hike that year? What will be the FKT? Will WhiteBlaze still be around?

Anyone care to share there predictions on hiking in 2050?

Images

Better put in for your hiking permit next year for 2044.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries

Anyone care to share there predictions on hiking in 2050?
    Considering I'll be pushing 91 years old, I'm hoping they have the escalators finished by then.

Paved trails to accommodate the Walmart scooters, drone "backpacks" and McDonald's kiosks every mile.

I predict that moving walkways will be installed on every square inch of the trail. People will get on, probably bring a chair, and just sit while the machinery takes them on "the hike". Animals will be chained so that everyone can see one or two of each kind of animal and all the trees will be optimally cut for the best views available. At dusk the walkway will slow down or stop at particular shelters that have showers and chefs and you will get back on at your convenience in the morning. This will cost $2000.00 a night but that will be cheap because of the inflation of the dollar. No one will be able to step on a blade of grass or pick up a pine cone. Nor would they want to because that is just "gross" and "dirty".

I predict that not much will change... wait for it... I will still be 2 years younger than illabelle.

Running for safety.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

-

for the right price, it will all be done on a simulator - no real effort needed - 2000 miler certificates still issued

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I predict that not much will change... wait for it... I will still be 2 years younger than illabelle.

Running for safety.
    You're so cruel!

Journal Entries

Advancements in textiles with regard to moisture and insulation...that's my prediction....hope everything else stays the same...or even regresses to a degree...
    hikers gonna hike

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJackson View Post
    Advancements in textiles with regard to moisture and insulation...that's my prediction....
    2050 is 35 years away. In the last 35 years better materials have made stuff lighter, stronger and more breathable and I bet that continues in the next 35 years. I also think that electronics will be way better. In 2050 people will have something like a cellphone that runs for days and days on a charge. It will continually track their location and respond to voice commands like "Where am I?" with a Siri like voice that says "You are 4.2 miles from the Such and Such shelter, there is a water source 0.3 miles ahead. Footsore reported this morning that she saw a bear 100 yards from your present location." Your device will communicate your position continuously to your trail friends and families devices so you will know where your buddies are on the trail in real time and your family can track your progress in real time. You will be able to send and recieve live video continuously from the trail. I am glad I won't be around to see it happen.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

In 2050, the trail will be fine, hikers will he enjoying themselves, and people will be reminiscing about the good old days of hiking in 2020 and fearfully speculating how the trail will look in 2085.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    In 2050, the trail will be fine, hikers will he enjoying themselves, and people will be reminiscing about the good old days of hiking in 2020 and fearfully speculating how the trail will look in 2085.
    +1This.

I think it would be pretty cool to curate an exhibit on the material culture of backpacking over the last 130 years. I believe we would find that while technologies have allowed improvements, we would find that in the end the function has remaind pretty constant.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Going to go to h--- in a fanny- pack.

Hopefully we're around long enough to find out!
    On a sort of serious note, I would think the fabric would probably change a bit (better rain repellent, lighter, etc), but I don't think the overall experience is going to change much. I don't see grabbing the underground subway to get to the other side of the city type thing. I actually think as people become lazier and more glued to electronics than we already are there will probably be, if there isn't already, a virtual gateway where you 'ride along' the entire tail virtual reality. That theory considered, more and more will not be able to find the time it takes for a thru hike or the will to get out in nature. You will always have us nature and outdoor types though but I actually think the numbers will dwindle as people get lazier. Not to bash the new generation, but I just can't see my kids (17 and 24) or any of their friends (all of which called me crazy for attempting my thru), getting out there and enjoying the simple life. They're growing up in hurried lifestyle.

This really is a question of scientific/engineering advancements and it's interesting to ponder what hikers will be outfitted with in the future, not to mention available data.

Images

With micro-chips embedded in everyone we'll be able to track the location of all hikers allowing you to avoid bottle necks and traffic jams on the trail. Of course you'll get a monthly bill based on trail usage and discounts for off-peak usage.
    Simple is good.

Images

In 2050 the ultralight hiker will be a relic. New generations of hikers will be amazed how little hikers in the early 21st century carried. Hikers will go back to 70 pound packs with all the gear and comforts they desire, thanks to power assisted walking and load carrying capability of exoskeletons.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

Encrochment on the trail. It will be more difficult to maintain natural areas from the exurbanites. Better breathable material, better synthetic insulation. better shoes. Electronics?? tiny voice computers Geez who can even guess. Required permits. And still fighting with Baxter.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Tipi Walter will still be pulling 21 day solo hikes with a 70lb pack and will waxing philosophic about birthing turtle babies.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries
    Images

Rising temps will make through hiking feasible year round. Bear, wolf, and wild cat populations will surge.
    In 2052 Kelty's 100 year anniversary pack will feature...a recycled aluminum frame...
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++