WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Why shouldn't anyone be entitled to do the trail at whatever pace they want?
    For whatever reason?
    Or why shouldn't anyone hiking the AT do it in any style they want? And people do. I see FKT types exactly like Carrying A Tuba types and Let's Go Barefoot types and other gimmicks.

Fastest Known Time hikes are gimmicks. Why not do the same thing wearing a pack that never goes below 100 lbs? And do it in record time? Or how about rolling an upright piano the whole way? How about hopping on one leg? Or walking it backwards?

FKT hikers need to do their hikes with no one knowing the final outcome, otherwise it becomes a howling fan club salivating over their pathetic progress and keeping track of their every move and how many miles they went from day to day. Encouraging FKT records by us the public keeps this lunacy going. Let's pull the plug on these extreme athletes and get them and their entourage off the AT. Instead, let's see how fast they can hike from Florida to California on the shoulder of the Eisenhower Interstate Highway system. Or speed walk around the inside of the Mall of the Americas and in 40 days get their mileage numbers.

a "normal" thru-hike is a gimmick

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffeect View Post
    what if the ball dosnt become momentarly motionless, but instead is momentarly going two directions at once?
    The correct answer. As the ball is elastic, the face the hits the bat will have reversed directions while the back half is still moving forward.

A much simpler example of the ball changing direction is to just toss it up in the air and catch it when it comes down. At the instant the ball's upward velocity changes to a downward velocity it has a velocity of zero (relative to the inertial frame of reference of the Earth's surface). However the acceleration of the ball (relative to the earth) is constant (ignoring wind resistance), that is it is accelerating toward the center of the earth at a constant rate. However it is never really motionless as it always moving through space-time as per General Relativity.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    The correct answer. As the ball is elastic, the face the hits the bat will have reversed directions while the back half is still moving forward.

A much simpler example of the ball changing direction is to just toss it up in the air and catch it when it comes down. At the instant the ball's upward velocity changes to a downward velocity it has a velocity of zero (relative to the inertial frame of reference of the Earth's surface). However the acceleration of the ball (relative to the earth) is constant (ignoring wind resistance), that is it is accelerating toward the center of the earth at a constant rate. However it is never really motionless as it always moving through space-time as per General Relativity.
    Finally, someone posts something productive on this thread.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Or why shouldn't anyone hiking the AT do it in any style they want? And people do. I see FKT types exactly like Carrying A Tuba types and Let's Go Barefoot types and other gimmicks.

Fastest Known Time hikes are gimmicks. Why not do the same thing wearing a pack that never goes below 100 lbs? And do it in record time? Or how about rolling an upright piano the whole way? How about hopping on one leg? Or walking it backwards?

FKT hikers need to do their hikes with no one knowing the final outcome, otherwise it becomes a howling fan club salivating over their pathetic progress and keeping track of their every move and how many miles they went from day to day. Encouraging FKT records by us the public keeps this lunacy going. Let's pull the plug on these extreme athletes and get them and their entourage off the AT. Instead, let's see how fast they can hike from Florida to California on the shoulder of the Eisenhower Interstate Highway system. Or speed walk around the inside of the Mall of the Americas and in 40 days get their mileage numbers.
    As my wife always says: "Up to them"
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

As with other things, it depends on the person's perspective. Some people don't believe there is such a thing as right or wrong. Others cannot see beyond themselves and right or wrong is whatever they think on the subject. The 3rd type of person is difficult to define in print. No matter how it is phrased, the first 2 groups will become agitated and critical of the definition. Those that look beyond themselves to seek what is right or wrong are labelled by the "tolerant" as (fill in the blank)phobes or "holier than thou" or judgmental or know-it-alls or hatemongers.

Laying all that aside, the speed in which you travel on the trail is a preference. As such, there is no right or wrong... unless it is at the cost of another person's freedom or possessions, violates an agreed upon standard or method, or violates a legislated rule. Only the 3rd group cares about such matters. The 1st group says "what is truth". The second group says "hooray for me and to hell with you". The third group says, "that action was wrong". The statement of the 3rd group is promptly trashed by the first 2 groups.

FKT attempts attract scrutiny. Most that make such attempts, want the attention. I am reminded of Charles Barkley who proclaimed to a critic, "I am not your role model". Think what you want about Charles, but he has tempered his message with age. Rather he liked it or not, millions looked up to him. Like it or not, many will look up to Karl. As such, he has an opportunity to be another JPD. I would not call it an obligation. I hope he is another JPD or Anish.

Back to the OP: How fast you travel, in and of itself, is just a preference. It is the other stuff that could possibly be defined as right or wrong. It is my hope that Karl does it right, and in doing so crushes the FKT and buries the debates of the current record.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 12-22-2015 at 18:06.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Looks like we have another FKT this year:

http://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.co...e-for.html?m=1
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Here is another extreme sport that might take off on the AT.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/extreme-ironing

Fair enough Bird Brain. I admit I was painting all FKTs with Scott's foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Fair enough Bird Brain. I admit I was painting all FKTs with Scott's foolishness.
    You are correct to abandon any thought of judging all attempts by the actions of one person. I agree with your assessment of that person. However, some of what I state is just my opinion. It is my opinion that the speed you travel is just a preference. Others have stated that running the trail violates the intent of the founders of the trail. Their opinion might be more valid than mine. I have an open mind and am listening.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Here is another extreme sport that might take off on the AT.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/extreme-ironing
    I was on top of Aconcagua (22,800 feet high) in January of 2004 with a party of eight. We saw some guy carrying an ironing board. Thought we were delusional, until we saw this later, the (at the time) world high-altitude ironing record. British group, of course. Fun stuff.

http://www.angelfire.com/me5/adammarcinowicz11/2.jpg

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    You are correct to abandon any thought of judging all attempts by the actions of one person. I agree with your assessment of that person. However, some of what I state is just my opinion. It is my opinion that the speed you travel is just a preference. Others have stated that running the trail violates the intent of the founders of the trail. Their opinion might be more valid than mine. I have an open mind and am listening.
    These guys run very little. They hike fast. They are just in great condition and aerobically gifted to boot.
    Matt Kirk is an ultrarunner too btw. So is Heather Anderson.

The differences, if any really exist, will lie in their respect for the trail and the community built around it.
    Well known public personalities...just often seem to be self centered, and that rubs people that care about the trail the wrong way.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-22-2015 at 20:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Looks like we have another FKT this year:

http://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.co...e-for.html?m=1

Now THAT is hilarious! Go Jester GO! I wonder how fast he got lunch after that. Maybe he broke another record?

Images

I'm in the process of going for the SKT. Hope folks don't get their knickers in a knot over that!
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    I'm in the process of going for the SKT. Hope folks don't get their knickers in a knot over that!
    I'll all for it and will support you in every way possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I'll all for it and will support you in every way possible.
    Dont listen to him Carbo. He is the current record holder! That is a wolf in sheeps clothing, cant you tell by his pic!!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    These guys run very little. They hike fast. They are just in great condition and aerobically gifted to boot.
    Matt Kirk is an ultrarunner too btw. So is Heather Anderson.
    Really? Have you done an ultra? Which have you attended even as a spectator?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Really? Have you done an ultra? Which have you attended even as a spectator?
    Dont know where you are coming from.
    But when attempting FKTs , they hike quickly mostly. Most of the trail doesnt lend itself to running. 3-4mph....isnt running.

I dont run ultras
    My brother does
    I have a good friend in the middle of the elite ultra running circle. They know everyone, because their sibling is one of the well know ultra runners. They travel all over the world crewing for friends, and running. This is what their life revolves around.

I helped crew with them for very well known world class ultra runners on an unsuccessful FKT attempt as well, just a few yrs ago
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-23-2015 at 15:24.

I've only done two -- the American River 50 miler and the Trace 36 miler. I didn't walk or hike, I ran as best as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I've only done two -- the American River 50 miler and the Trace 36 miler. I didn't walk or hike, I ran as best as I could.
    while technically an ultra run is defined by any "run" over 26.2? miles, most of the time I have seen people talk about FKT's here it is usually well over 100+ miles and more often than not, they are talking about a long trail FKT (the AT being the most I have read about recently). I couldn't even imagine running that everyday for 40+ days like you would a 100 miler.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++