WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default FKT right or wrong?

The moderators have asked to take the snarky comments somewhere else.
    I agree if Karl is going to try this he doesn't need people getting into his face about it. My personal opinion? i think it's a bad idea. I basically feel that it adds to the current problem of the AT as a circus of sorts, with all the drunks and the out of control dogs, big party feeds, and such. I think the AT is about getting away from the pressures and expectations of society. This event brings those problems to the AT. Getting out and into nature is what the AT should be. I would rather see this event not happen. IMHO
    I must say though that I greatly admire the physical abilities of Scott and Karl.

I am fine with the FKT attempts... as long as... oh, never mind.

And I am glad to see a thread where I can deposit snarky remarks.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Still the wrong sub-forum.

I don't like dogs on the trail much... so I don't post in the dog forum.
    But I also don't bother a dog owner nor berate them for every dog who ever stepped on the trail.

Horses are another matter though. I'd like to think we can all agree on that...
    Of course there is that equestrian group who supports the trail club in TN that makes maintaining that section possible.

So shucks, guess even that's not a black and white issue either.

Probably best to take a stroll and think it over I suppose...

Seriously, how can you compare this to the increase in partying and craziness on the trail? I'm going to assume that the FKT folks have learned their lesson watching how it went with SJ this year. Why wouldn't they? They love their sport and want it to continue. If we want to clean up the trail we won't do it by going after the FKT crowd.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

My earlier comment was a little d*ckish, so I'm deleting it and replacing it with a baby porcupine eating some watermelon.

Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 12-20-2015 at 22:04.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

when you have a sport, any sport, inevitably it might turn competitive in some aspects. It is not wrong or right, it is just part of it.

people have been fascinated with anything that has a est at the end of the word, like fastest, longest, best. and there is recognition of the record holder that may or may not play a role.

Is it good for the trail? I think in long run it is not harmful. It is like the movies about the trails, they help people know about the trail and recognition of the trail, although painful for purist who love the tranquility, is in long run helpful to keep the trails from being invaded by expanding human invasion.

In hindsight, can't we all say after a hike that possibly we could have done things differently perhaps even saying we could have done things better? FKTs don't have to be labeled as right or wrong. It's not always that simple and there can just be differences. I give more credit to the FKT seeking community that they can learn not only from previous others' FKT attempts and completions differences in what to do but also what can be problematic. What MAY be more wrong is to generally label FKT attempts as wrong or right when it might be better to say pros and cons about everyone's hiking/running experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    Seriously, how can you compare this to the increase in partying and craziness on the trail? I'm going to assume that the FKT folks have learned their lesson watching how it went with SJ this year. Why wouldn't they? They love their sport and want it to continue. If we want to clean up the trail we won't do it by going after the FKT crowd.
    I am not going to judge the FKT folks by the actions of one person. Don't read that wrong. I am not saying that is what you were doing either. Scott learned nothing. He was defiant to the end. Can those that are able to compete at his level learn from this? I am not sure they need to learn anything from it. I will let them judge such things. I am going to assume Scott's piss in the face attitude is a one off. Regardless, none of this has much to do with the latest attempt. Karl does not deserve to carry the baggage of someone else. The past of someone else has nothing to do with him... except for the standing FKT.

Go Karl, go!
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I am fine with the FKT attempts... as long as... oh, never mind.

And I am glad to see a thread where I can deposit snarky remarks.
    Are you being snarkey to me??? Snark back to you buddy!!!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

This thread came in when I was busy with other things these past few days. Mr. Squeezebox brings up some interesting points (that I may or not agree with). Notice what forum the thread is in now.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Last edited by Lyle; 12-20-2015 at 22:00.

Journal Entries

double post
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-20-2015 at 22:53.

Thanks! Mags. for the change in forum.
    But that's M. Squeezebox to you. I prefer to not submit to gender societal definitions.

How do you add the silly dancing bananas!!!!

Journal Entries

Nothing wrong with fkt per se

Its in who does it and how that conflict can arise

Some people view the AT wildness as threatened enough without overly publicized stunts going on. Lets be frank, thats all it is. An attempt at notoriety.

I think FKT's are a waste of time and energy, but its not my time or my energy thats being used for such foolishness.

Dont affect my enjoyment of my hike and ill refrain from tripping you with my trekking poles as you run by.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Getting out and into nature is what the AT should be.
    That's a part of it.

If you think that is the only part, I sincerely feel sorry for you.

I've been running Slowest Known Time competitions for years---SKTs---and have to say with all humility that I've been setting records which no one comes close to breaking. I can backpack a 21 mile trail and make it last 7 days---but it can't happen without a Zero support group and a nonexistent fan base of followers. I even cut a few briars in my face along the way.

I'm most interested in those gifted individuals who can go the slowest and stay out the longest. The speedsters and others don't rate and aren't even a blip on my radar and no effort in the least should be made to recognize their efforts.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

All I'd ask is that trailrunners don't ask me to move aside when I'm climbing uphill with a pack and they're barreling downhill without one. I had one runner try to bowl me over outside Pearisburg and had to shoulder-check another going up Roan.

If someone wants to beat their body up doing something like that, all the more power to them. How does it affect my hiking? Not at all.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

much ado over nothin'

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++