WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SMD deschutes tarp

Anyone here used one? I see they are on sale and I was thinking about giving the sil version a try. I don't see much at all in the way of reviews posted anywhere. Surely someone out there has used one.

Thanks

Many nights in mine. Great light shaped tarp. Can set it high or for better venting or low for rain . I use a nano bug net and window shrink film for a ground cloth. I use a piece of pex tubbing to extend my trekking poles to the correct length. Total weight of all w stuff sack is 1lb 2.7oz. Would buy again. The pluss version would b a good choice.

Thom

Journal Entries

I used a cuben deschutes this year for about two dozen nights, including pretty good rain.

Ive used it with serenty inner tent, and with a zpacks solo cuben bathtub floor.

Things I like:

Good design, stable with one pole.
    Sheds wind good.
    7.7 oz with 0.74 canopy
    Works with my 135cm max poles. A lot of tarps with one pole require 145 or extension (or rock)

What I dont like:

The large stiff plastic mitten clips snd large plastic rings are hard to put together for attaching inner tent . Darn near impossible in freezing conditions with cold fingers. Need to use something easier.

SMD
    Ive had issues with several items from SMD. This one is no different.

I received a defective product. After contacting rhem with photos, they wanted me to ship it to them at my expense so they could look at it. Not replace, look at.

Now, this was the last cuben deschutes in stock, anywhere. Short of another production run (which just happened ~ a year later), there wasnt going to be a replacement option. I knew that.

So my option was to ship it at my expense and they would only be able to repair it, or just repair it myself and save ship cost. Duh..I just repaired it myself. I wanted the tarp, not a refund.

This is the problem with smd . poor customer service. Some bad gear designs. Yearly production runs where nothing is in stock.

The tarp I odered had a tear thru it at one edge, brand new. It had been sewn that way obviously, the torn cuben (before mfg) had actually been folded over at the edge seam, and stitched. I repaired it with cuben tape, same as they would have.

Same tarp, they elected to sew big smd patch on canopy. Did not tape the stitching. Huge needle holes. I had read of others online the previous year that complained of this too. Incredible. I taped that too.

Design flaw. Some moron decided to fold/sew the front seams wirh elastic strips for tieing the front flap back inserted all way thru the folds so it wicks water in and leaks. A third grader wouldnt have done this. Its not much, just glaring stupidity.

Lastly, decision not to use waterproof zip was stupid imo. But I knew that so cant fault them on saving money there. Im considering putting waterproof zip in.

In a nutshell, SMD has both design and mfg issues. They supposedly make the cuben in house so they can control quality... but really do a pretty bad job of quality control imo.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-21-2015 at 09:08.

Design flaw. Some moron decided to fold/sew the front seams wirh elastic strips for tieing the front flap back inserted all way thru the folds so it wicks water in and leaks. A third grader wouldnt have done this. Its not much, just glaring stupidity.

wow ! U should have returned it . "Moron ,third grader, glaring stupidity." Strong words for "not much."

Thom

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post

wow ! U should have returned it . "Moron ,third grader, glaring stupidity." Strong words for "not much."

Thom

Minor , will run down tarp like condensation, and other than these few things its a great tarp.
    I will point out, I have not had any such similar issues with my other cuben gear from other vendors. Other vendors put more thought and quality control into items they charge $$$ for.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-21-2015 at 09:28.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have never purchased anything from SMD because of the issues Muddy Waters mentions. I went ahead and ordered one anyway. 130 bucks for a SIL tarp isn't a huge risk but I don't know if I would dare buy a cuben item from them.

Cheyou, how does the nano net work with and fit under the tarp? I was looking at the plus, but went with the regular since I hike frequently in heavy bug pressure and would use a full net or hike after the bugs all freeze so I wouldn't want the netting. If I like the tarp I will need a net.

I ordered this thinking it would be a good way to get back into tarps. I haven't been under one in a while and as I grow older and more stiff and sore I toss around a lot. Hopefully I wont have problems with waking up outside in the rain.

Thanks for the feedback, hopefully there will be nore

U could always make it a pluss if u wanted. The nano is ok . U could check out the web for reviews. It's Very light and could use it in a shelter if needed. I'm not much for shelters. The window shrink film is not 2 slippery so I don't slide much. $130. Is a good deal. The cuben is to much for my pocket book. It does take up more space then sylnylon . Send us some winter weather if u got extra

Thom

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I used a cuben deschutes this year for about two dozen nights, including pretty good rain.

Ive used it with serenty inner tent, and with a zpacks solo cuben bathtub floor.

Things I like:

Good design, stable with one pole.
    Sheds wind good.
    7.7 oz with 0.74 canopy
    Works with my 135cm max poles. A lot of tarps with one pole require 145 or extension (or rock)

What I dont like:

The large stiff plastic mitten clips snd large plastic rings are hard to put together for attaching inner tent . Darn near impossible in freezing conditions with cold fingers. Need to use something easier.

SMD
    Ive had issues with several items from SMD. This one is no different.

I received a defective product. After contacting rhem with photos, they wanted me to ship it to them at my expense so they could look at it. Not replace, look at.

Now, this was the last cuben deschutes in stock, anywhere. Short of another production run (which just happened ~ a year later), there wasnt going to be a replacement option. I knew that.

So my option was to ship it at my expense and they would only be able to repair it, or just repair it myself and save ship cost. Duh..I just repaired it myself. I wanted the tarp, not a refund.

This is the problem with smd . poor customer service. Some bad gear designs. Yearly production runs where nothing is in stock.

The tarp I odered had a tear thru it at one edge, brand new. It had been sewn that way obviously, the torn cuben (before mfg) had actually been folded over at the edge seam, and stitched. I repaired it with cuben tape, same as they would have.

Same tarp, they elected to sew big smd patch on canopy. Did not tape the stitching. Huge needle holes. I had read of others online the previous year that complained of this too. Incredible. I taped that too.

Lastly, decision not to use waterproof zip was stupid imo. But I knew that so cant fault them on saving money there. Im considering putting waterproof zip in.

In a nutshell, SMD has both design and mfg issues. They supposedly make the cuben in house so they can control quality... but really do a pretty bad job of quality control imo.
    Well, that's disturbing to read. I was about to buy a haven tarp...think I'll do a little more research.

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Well, that's disturbing to read. I was about to buy a haven tarp...think I'll do a little more research.
    I have a Haven tarp. No issues, except hanging the net tent from the tarp takes a bit of contortion. The mitten hooks are a bit stiff. No issues with quality of construction. But, its a shaped tarp. Not a lot to it.

Images

Have had a Wild Oasis for years - great tarp, very durable, great design. Sorry to see they have abandoned it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Have had a Wild Oasis for years - great tarp, very durable, great design. Sorry to see they have abandoned it.
    Pretty much what the deschutes plus is, with added room and wt.
    A lot of people loved the wild oasis.
    As cuben has lured the crowd looking for light wt, other products need to have a more mainstream appeal to stay viable. At least if you invest $$ to have a chinese factory make 300 at a time for you. Vendors that actually make tbeir gear in house dont have this issue.

I received my Deschutes just three days after I placed my order. Pretty impressive considering it was the three days right before Christmas. I have slept under the tarp the last two nights, pitched in my basement on the carpeted floor. So far I can see no issues with anything. Materials, workmanship and design all seem good but I wont know until I can get it outside this spring.

Archie or anyone else, have you weighed your silnylon Deschutes?

I have not. I cant find my scale. I just had it a week ago. I have no idea how one loses a scale in a week.

I will post a weight when I locate my, or any, scale.

OK, it's a larger version of the Gatewood Cape.
    I used the Gatewood Cape for 400 miles in VA in 2010, and was quite happy with it. I even spend some nights under it in violent, raging storms with heavy rain, lighting, and nearby tornados. Did just fine although a little bigger might have been nice, and this is what you will get in the Deschutes tarp.
    I would go for it if you are a fairly rough and ready type. It's not for everybody, however. You always lose something when you trade function for lower weight, and in this case it is some stability, and in some cases you might have creepy crawly visitors on your groundcloth although if that bothers you, you better not hike.

CenAZwalker and anyone else interested,

I weighed my 2015 Deschutes tonight and it came in at 12.75 oz, (360 grams) for the SIL tarp and stuff sack.

Thanks archie, nice to see it come in under spec.

Has anyone recently purchased a Deschutes Plus tarp? I got one this winter and was only able to set up it up now, and there's no grommet for the trekking pole tip on the edge of the bug netting - only a reinforced piece of webbing. Did this happen to anyone else? I have an email out to SMD, but I figured I'd ask here.

I always put the tip end down on mine. Works great

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    I always put the tip end down on mine. Works great
    Right, but there's supposed to be a grommet there for the tip. Mine doesn't have one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++