WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i dont know who herrero is or what he is saying, but it would seem he has access to different statistics and reports if he knows of a number of mama black bears attacking humans in defense of cubs. no statistics i have ever seen anywhere supports this notion.
    Stephen Herrero is literally the researcher who wrote the book on bear attacks--it's called "Bear Attacks." He was the source of the NY Times article you linked to. But that article (and the journal article it referenced) was only talking about fatal attacks. The vast majority of fatal attacks are predatory attacks by males. Defensive attacks are much less likely to be fatal, and that would include instances where females defend their young.

Yes, I'm well aware that black bear attacks are quite rare, and the risk for an AT hiker is miniscule. I'm just saying that there have been defensive attacks by females with cubs for black bears.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Here's an article talking about bears defending hibernation sites. I wish people would just believe scientists and not make stuff up when they don't like the conclusions.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ce-humans.html

Also, pedaling fool, your quote that bears don't defend their young from humans is 100% wrong. Getting too close to cubs is a major risk factor for attacks. Or does "bear.org" disagree?

Most of your points have been shown to be faulty, espeically with the NYT article in post #9, notice the source, Dr. Stephen Herrero.

But on your article, it seems to support my position that a bear is not defending its den, rather defending itself. I'm guessing here, but it's probably a defensive tactic they developed, since I remember reading about grizzly bears will sometimes invade their dens, kill and eat them.
    They can wake up very quickly from hibernation to defend themselves if they believe they are about to be attacked - a skill that is necessary as they cannot burrow below ground for protection.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...#ixzz3uzCUc59P
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    However, if you read my post above, I asked the question of how deeply asleep this bear was, since the winter on the east coast has been so mild. Also notice, that I didn't say it was probable, simply that it was a possibility, period. However, it's easily just as possible (and probably more probable) that it felt cornered. That's all I was saying.

Bottomline, I'm not making a prediction, I only listed two possibilites, but still not nearly enough information to know. This incidence will probably remain a mystery in my mind, but you can tell yourself any fantasy you like -- personally, I'm not so quick to form an opinion.

P.S. on the issue of Hibernation vs. Torpor

This is somewhat of a controversial subject in some circles, including bear.org, which have concluded that bears do hibernate. Read the page here and notice the references. Bear.org is not just some web page of bears, a little more than that. My personal opinion, I don't really care and won't get into a debate about these definitions; however, after reading physiology behind a bear's hibernation/torpor, I know one thing: it's not just a simple sleep, it's a very complicated thing and can be more impressive than animals that have always been know to hibernate. http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pag...hibernate.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I dislike this idea that seems prevalent in our community that the woods are "bear territory" and wildlife "own" the woods. This is asinine in my opinion. They don't "own" the woods any more then we do. We cohabitate with them while we are in the woods so we must be smart about what we do, but they have no superior claim to the woods than we do.
    Hear, Hear!

If there's one thing I (think I) know about Bear encounters, after about a half dozen very close encounters over my mountain decades, is that they are completely unpredictable. though I'm a firm believer in all things having to do with science, there is such a prevalence towards random events in our great outdoors. I put "bear behavior science" right up there with weather "prediction". We can kinda give an idea of what will happen, but then out Great Mother (nature) takes over....

See attached pic of my wife's backpack.... the red stuff is bear slobber after he (she?) ate our Gatorade powder....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Well said.....people are ignorant...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Ignorance can be cured, stupid is forever" Miriam

Images

Stephen Herrero is literally the researcher who wrote the book on bear attacks--it's called "Bear Attacks." He was the source of the NY Times article you linked to. But that article (and the journal article it referenced) was only talking about fatal attacks. The vast majority of fatal attacks are predatory attacks by males. Defensive attacks are much less likely to be fatal, and that would include instances where females defend their young.

Yes, I'm well aware that black bear attacks are quite rare, and the risk for an AT hiker is miniscule. I'm just saying that there have been defensive attacks by females with cubs for black bears.

doh. been awhile since i actually read the article at that link.

so youre saying he contradicts his own research in his book?

i really can not ever remember hearing about 1 single black bear attack by a female defending cubs. thats not to say it never happens, particularly with other mitigating circumstances (ie cornered and unable to flee) it very well could. but the idea that a mama black bear is more likely to attack than other black bears is nothing but legend or incorrectly attributing grizzly bear behavior to black bears.

ive walked right by a mama grizzly and her cubs too for that matter. she didnt attack either. they were more likely too, but even with grizzlies, circumstances are as if not more important than the simple idea of mama and cubs = attack.

doh. been awhile since i actually read the article at that link.

so youre saying he contradicts his own research in his book?

i really can not ever remember hearing about 1 single black bear attack by a female defending cubs. thats not to say it never happens, particularly with other mitigating circumstances (ie cornered and unable to flee) it very well could. but the idea that a mama black bear is more likely to attack than other black bears is nothing but legend or incorrectly attributing grizzly bear behavior to black bears.

ive walked right by a mama grizzly and her cubs too for that matter. she didnt attack either. they were more likely too, but even with grizzlies, circumstances are as if not more important than the simple idea of mama and cubs = attack.
    No, the article was just FATAL attacks. The book was much more general. The book did mention a few instances of female black bears with cubs attacking in defense. Like I said, though, black bear attacks are still rare.

Herrero's book says that 75% of sudden grizzly attacks (where there wasn't stalking ahead of time) are females with cubs.

Images

No, the article was just FATAL attacks. The book was much more general. The book did mention a few instances of female black bears with cubs attacking in defense. Like I said, though, black bear attacks are still rare.

Herrero's book says that 75% of sudden grizzly attacks (where there wasn't stalking ahead of time) are females with cubs.

i think even if you expand the article's concept to be all attacks rather than fatal ones the notion that attacks by mamas defending cubs is more common than other types would still prove false, and not by a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    I don't disagree with this, however the one thing that stood out in the article that made me read it twice was the dog. In the article, the dog appears at the end of the event chasing the bear away, which does little to tell me what the dog was up to at the start of the event. Could be a partial story here, which may have been precipitated by the dog, requiring the scout leader to go into the cave to get the dog or something along those lines.

Certainly, something caused the scout leader to go into the cave and have his day ruined.
    The Chicago Tribune reported that the scout leader had gone into that cave for many years and never seen a bear in the cave before. He was showing the scouts the cave.

Here's the entire article:

Tribune wire reports7:09 am, December 21, 2015
    A Boy Scout leader who was pulled into a cave by a bear in northern New Jersey beat off the animal with a rock hammer while the three young Scouts with him called for help.
    Christopher Petronino, 50, and the scouts were hiking at Split Rock Reservoir Sunday afternoon when he stopped to show the boys a cave, N.J.com reported. He dipped into a small crevasse leading to it and the bear grabbed him by the foot and yanked him inside. It began biting his legs and shoulders and Petronino fought it off, the website said.
    "Petronino struck the bear twice in the head with a rock hammer. He then pulled his sweatshirt over his head and curled into the fetal position," Bob Considine, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection, said in a statement. "He yelled to the scouts, who were outside the cave, to leave and go get help."
    The boys used a cell phone to call authorities, who told them to place any food they had outside the cave to lure the bear away from Petronino. When it emerged, a dog that had come along with the group began barking and the bear ran up a nearby hillside.
    Considine said the scout leader spent about 80 minutes inside the cave before escaping. He was airlifted to Morristown Medical Center where his wounds were treated. The scouts, from a Boonton-based troop, were released to their parents.
    Petronino told authorities he'd visited the cave regularly for decades and had never seen a bear.
    Considine said state wildlife officials believe the bear was protecting its hibernation location. They have placed traps around the area where the attack occurred and hope to capture it.
    Hunters in New Jersey killed 510 bears during the state's extended black bear hunt, which ended Saturday. Fifty-eight were harvested in Morris County, where Split Rock Reservoir is located.

Quote Originally Posted by AO2134 View Post
    I dislike this idea that seems prevalent in our community that the woods are "bear territory" and wildlife "own" the woods. This is asinine in my opinion. They don't "own" the woods any more then we do. We cohabitate with them while we are in the woods so we must be smart about what we do, but they have no superior claim to the woods than we do.
    They certainly own the woods a thousand times more than we do for the simple fact that they do not chainsaw down the woods or bulldoze in roads or develop sprawl or drive ATVs or participate in mountaintop removal and deforestation. We do. Not only do we "own" the woods but we try to eradicate every big predator that is left and we completely control all land whether wilderness or not.

Human culture and human centrism, i.e. we're the center of the universe, is on full display for anyone to see. The California state flag has on it the Golden Bear, now extinct due to humans. The grizzly population in the lower 48 is down to 2% of their numbers before European arrival.

Bears have a HUGE superior claim to the woods they wander as they have the long term wisdom to live in their environment in a sustainable way. And have been doing so for hundreds of thousands of years, maybe millions. And look what we humans have done to the North American continent and our habitat (and their habitat) in such a short time. How many bears drive 40 foot RVs thru Yellowstone NP?

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    The Chicago Tribune reported that the scout leader had gone into that cave for many years and never seen a bear in the cave before. He was showing the scouts the cave.

Here's the entire article:

Tribune wire reports7:09 am, December 21, 2015
    A Boy Scout leader who was pulled into a cave by a bear in northern New Jersey beat off the animal with a rock hammer while the three young Scouts with him called for help.
    Christopher Petronino, 50, and the scouts were hiking at Split Rock Reservoir Sunday afternoon when he stopped to show the boys a cave, N.J.com reported. He dipped into a small crevasse leading to it and the bear grabbed him by the foot and yanked him inside. It began biting his legs and shoulders and Petronino fought it off, the website said.
    "Petronino struck the bear twice in the head with a rock hammer. He then pulled his sweatshirt over his head and curled into the fetal position," Bob Considine, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection, said in a statement. "He yelled to the scouts, who were outside the cave, to leave and go get help."
    The boys used a cell phone to call authorities, who told them to place any food they had outside the cave to lure the bear away from Petronino. When it emerged, a dog that had come along with the group began barking and the bear ran up a nearby hillside.
    Considine said the scout leader spent about 80 minutes inside the cave before escaping. He was airlifted to Morristown Medical Center where his wounds were treated. The scouts, from a Boonton-based troop, were released to their parents.
    Petronino told authorities he'd visited the cave regularly for decades and had never seen a bear.
    Considine said state wildlife officials believe the bear was protecting its hibernation location. They have placed traps around the area where the attack occurred and hope to capture it.
    Hunters in New Jersey killed 510 bears during the state's extended black bear hunt, which ended Saturday. Fifty-eight were harvested in Morris County, where Split Rock Reservoir is located.
    My point was more along the lines of the full story typically isn't known, or is inaccurately reported for a few days following events like this. Could be the exception that proves the rule, the guy had spelunking with the boys on his mind or looking for gemstones.

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Just read this quote over and over and try to understand the lunacy of it. No wonder the bear fought back---He and "his people" are being targeted for "ethnic cleansing". Wouldn't you want to fight back? How does he know the difference between a hunter and a hiker? All could be murderous threats to him.

And why are the bears being hunted and slaughtered? Did they join ISIS? Did they shoot up a school? Did they sell meth? Naw, their crime is Simple Existence. Meanwhile 9,000,000 people live in New Jersey and get to tweet and eat ice cream and get drunk and celebrate the holidays but god help the nuisance bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    How many bears drive 40 foot RVs thru Yellowstone NP?
    That answer is simple. The same number of bears that CAN drive a 40 foot RVs thru Yellowstone NP.

What causes their "superior claim?"

Their benevolence? Your example is misplaced. It seems to equate an inability to do something to benevolence. That is a false equivocation. Do you think that if bears had our abilities that none of them would do what we as humanity do? That they are inherently benevolent? They have no inherent benevolence. They have inherent limitations. I want you to assume that it is early spring. Bears just came out of hibernation. Mother bear comes across a wounded nearly extinct animal or succulent plant. We both know what will happen to that poor now extinct animal or plant. They aren't inherently benevolent; they are inherently limited.

We know it isn't their intelligence or power. They exist at our sufferance. I don't advocate hunting, especially for sport. I find hunting for sport disgusting practice that should be a crime. I never have and never will hunt an animal, except maybe fishing. I don't own a gun and don't like that others near me have one or own one. That being said, it is undisputed that we have the power or intelligence to wipe them off the Earth. They do not have a similar power over us. So clearly it ain't that. And I am not saying we should do so, I am trying to get at what the source of their inherent right or superior claim is.

Is it because they have been there longer? That can't be it. New species develop all the time. New species also have a right to exist.

So the idea to me at least that bears "own" the woods or have a superior claim to the woods than humanity does is simply an opinion at best, not a fact based on anything from reality. When we hike, we share a space. We should take precautions to make sure we do so safely without causing ourselves and the bears any danger. We should minimize our impact. We should leave no trace, properly store food, prevent the things that cause interactions between humans and bears as much as possible, but a superior claim? I don't see it in fact or reasoning. Perhaps you could argue they SHOULD have a superior claim. I would disagree with that too, but at least your arguments carries more weight in my opinion.

When a bear walks into my neighborhood, do I show it my properly records and say "hey bear, see this. Get off my land. I own this land. I have a superior claim to this land." If I don't have a superior claim on my land, why do bears have it on the mountains? We cohabitate with bears and other animals when we are on the trail. That is all.
    Foothills Trail - 14
    Bartram Trail - 15 - Video
    Benton MacKaye Trail - 15 - Video
    AT - 15% complete
    Pinhoti Trail - 16 - Video

He was a hairy bear. He was a scary bear. So he followed him back to his lair.

the NY times article i supplied the link to can be neatly summed up like this-

1) black bear attacks are very rare
    2) documented attacks of black bears on humans are overwhelmingly a loan male who sees a human as prey.

i dont know who herrero is or what he is saying, but it would seem he has access to different statistics and reports if he knows of a number of mama black bears attacking humans in defense of cubs. no statistics i have ever seen anywhere supports this notion.

have you ever ran across a female with cubs out hiking on the AT or in another area such as you describe? i have, many times. they run off and/or climb a tree as if all the demons of hell were after them.

ive also walked up on a large adult male. he wasnt scared of me at all. we stopped and looked at each other sizing each other up for what seemed like an eternity before he dropped his gaze and slowly and deliberately continued on his way.

i'll take the mama and her cubs any days, thanks.
    Yep, this. I'll add that statistically, they are often younger male black bears as well. Most black bear attacks are predatory. Brown bears....completely different story.

Just read this quote over and over and try to understand the lunacy of it. No wonder the bear fought back---He and "his people" are being targeted for "ethnic cleansing". Wouldn't you want to fight back? How does he know the difference between a hunter and a hiker? All could be murderous threats to him.
    By this logic, the Smokies and Shenandoah should be the safest place to encounter a bear. Maybe you should share your theory with all the parks that practice harassment techniques to ensure humans and bears get along.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

You really think that a random internet site called "bear.org" is a valid source of information? I'm going to go ahead and trust the NJ wildlife professionals over a non-scientific website.
    Actually it is a scientific site. They have been studying black bears for well over 50 years. Dr Rogers even wrote the National Forest Service "Living With Black Bears". He probably knows much more about black bear habits that any wildlife professional.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

The bear was from Jersey, need I say more? Fuggetaboutit!! lol

I'm pretty tired and about to go to sleep for the evening. If someone came into my bedroom uninvited while I was drowsily falling asleep, I wouldn't take kindly to it. It is hard to blame a bear for defending his hibernation den.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    Actually it is a scientific site. They have been studying black bears for well over 50 years. Dr Rogers even wrote the National Forest Service "Living With Black Bears". He probably knows much more about black bear habits that any wildlife professional.
    There are only 2 types of useful scientific information on the web: actual scientific papers which are peer-reviewed, and science journalism (which is ideally written by a science-educated reporter and based on interviews with scientists). Everything else should be considered BS--and usually is--until proven otherwise. I already quoted real scientists saying that bears defend their dens.

And why are the bears being hunted and slaughtered? Did they join ISIS? Did they shoot up a school? Did they sell meth? Naw, their crime is Simple Existence. Meanwhile 9,000,000 people live in New Jersey and get to tweet and eat ice cream and get drunk and celebrate the holidays but god help the nuisance bear.
    I get being passionate but with all do respect this a bit silly. I'll assume, given the last line that it and the first are a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++