WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    AT 2012

Default How do you greet a passing hiker?

...if ultra lighter, "Hail and cuben fiber!"
    Lazarus

... after a river crossing, "Hail fellow, well wet"

That's funny!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

When I see he/she has a ULA pack (usually obvious), I always say "nice pack".

"How's your hike?"

"Hello Friend"

Images

*puff, pant, wheeze!* <feeble wave>

If they are a mere Dayhiker I try to avoid eye contact and hope I can avoid the painful sting and swelling of their bite. The last thing I want to do on a backpacking trip is interact with Done-In-A-Day types. They leave a car in the morning and return to the same car at the end of the day, all the while clutching their car keys in the pocket of their hiking shorts. And then they rush out to make it to a restaurant before closing time. AVOID DAYHIKERS!!

If I'm on the AT and a thruhiker passes by I have learned to not say a word as they will not stop to talk in their mad rush forwards. If you think you will be able to stand and talk on the trail with a thruhiker and even throw off your packs and sit down for a break, you are SADLY MISTAKEN. Even if you get them to stop and talk for a moment or two, they will constantly be inching forwards and apart, always eyeballing the trail ahead. AVOID THRUHIKERS!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    AVOID DAYHIKERS!!

AVOID THRUHIKERS!!
    LOL ... love it! I do think some actually have those sentiments.

Personally, if a hiker wants to stop a few seconds or a few minutes to exchange pleasantries and info, I'm happy to do the same. I do always say "Howdy" and if they don't reply or stop, I respect that. But basically, in large part I agree with those who say the trail is the people.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

"You're almost at the top" Regardless of location or direction.

Honestly I almost always step off the trail, put my dog in a sit command and thank the oncoming hiker for providing the excuse for me to take a 30 second break.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hows the weather up front
    I thought you were going the other way
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    "You're almost at the top" Regardless of location or direction.

Honestly I almost always step off the trail, put my dog in a sit command and thank the oncoming hiker for providing the excuse for me to take a 30 second break.
    I do that with my dog, and did so a few days ago on the Timp-Torne trail between Timp and West Mountain. My dog was not on a leash, as usual, because he stays with me always and never, ever chases anything, not even chipmunks or frogs. So a guy approaches on a crossing trail, pruners in hand, doing trail maintenance. I give him a big smile and say something like "Oh you're one of those wonderful people who keep the trails so tidy — thank you!!" To which he responds in a very loud and nasty tone, glaring at my dog, "LEASH???" and then sauntered on saying not another word.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I do that with my dog, and did so a few days ago on the Timp-Torne trail between Timp and West Mountain. My dog was not on a leash, as usual, because he stays with me always and never, ever chases anything, not even chipmunks or frogs. So a guy approaches on a crossing trail, pruners in hand, doing trail maintenance. I give him a big smile and say something like "Oh you're one of those wonderful people who keep the trails so tidy — thank you!!" To which he responds in a very loud and nasty tone, glaring at my dog, "LEASH???" and then sauntered on saying not another word.
    Now imagine getting the same sort of reception in an identical situation except that the dog is actually on a leash. I had that happen once on top of CT's bear mountain.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 12-22-2015 at 11:40.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

What I say depends on how cute she is.
    Im chattier with women, than guys. Sue me.

Mostly just say Hi and thank them for stepping aside if they did. Ask if they are having a nice day if they stop. Where they came from that day if they are inclined to chat.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 12-22-2015 at 11:44.

Hows the water? Stupid thing , but I like to know... Everyone asked me, so it seems fair.

Journal Entries

Mostly we say good morning or hey there, or maybe just a smile or nod.
    Once in a while if I'm feeling naughty, I like to tell them they're going the wrong way.

Images

There is some sort of subtle body-language or eye contact thing going on... I'm nearly always ready to chat with anyone (unless it's a constant stream), but I don't want to bother anyone either. So if no eye contact, I'll say "hey" anyway as we pass, if some eye contact, I'll slow down, ready to stop and chat and take their cue. Sometimes they make eye contact and stop, in which case I'm all over it and I stop and chat. small talk. If it's an attractive woman, this makes my day, of course! One sure meets all kinds on a trail such as the AT. On trails such as the CT, JMT (and other western trails, at least those in Colorado) folks tend to be friendlier, on average, and nearly everyone seems to want to chat, which is great by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    If they are a mere Dayhiker I try to avoid eye contact and hope I can avoid the painful sting and swelling of their bite.... AVOID DAYHIKERS!!

If you think you will be able to stand and talk on the trail with a thruhiker and even throw off your packs and sit down for a break, you are SADLY MISTAKEN. AVOID THRUHIKERS!!
    Maybe if you lightened your pack weight you wouldn't be so bitter?

I generally always step to the side and offer a hello. It's curious that most day hikers won't even respond but section hikers and thru's will usually at least respond and maybe stop to chat. Passed several groups of SOBO's a few months ago in the Smokies and they were moving so fast that I had to get out of the way just out of awe and respect and I might of received a grunt in response.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++