WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Post Hike Biggest Regrets?

Thru hikers, Section, Lash or day hikers;

At the end of a trip, looking back on the day or on the plane ride home from Maine, have any regrets? I'm still on my quest for Big K but have started before its too late trying to get more out of my adventure, trying to say "I wish I would have..." less, and find out what makes the trips more fun then just getting the miles in. Here is my shortened list...
    Wish I had...

• Taken that blue blaze
    • Exchanged contact info with that person/ Thru hiker
    • Taken more pictures/ Taken one of that person
    • Pushed thru the suck factor
    • Be less serious
    • Been more generous

Great thing is that I have learned these things early on and have already started correcting them and man is there an improvement!
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

That the girlfriend I started out with ended up leaving the trail because we both agreed to dump each other. Actually, this would be the opposite of Regret. Best thing ever to happen to me on the trail.

No big regrets. Wish I took the "bushwhack" to Redington from South Crocker when I passed by it. I make a habit to grab every vista, peak, or attraction as I hike by them. Was having serious quad issues that day. Was ready to puke when I got to the cirque. Wish I pushed through it anyways that day. Now I have to go back and get that peak. The regret will be gone when I do. Can't think of another regret off hand. Take the Blue Blaze to the view. You won't regret it. I'll take a view over a patch any day.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

My biggest regret is agreeing to go with someone that I didn't know anymore. My second biggest is that I didn't just walk off and leave him.

I regretted ever having opened the door to a justifying mentality why it was OK to intentionally skip miles of the AT rather than making an honest effort to hike the entire trail. I regretted missing almost 170 miles of the AT. Being harshly honest with myself and to be honest to others in claiming I hiked the entire AT and had made an honest effort to hike the entire trail I knew I had to immediately hike those missed miles after summitting Mt K on a NOBO AT thru-hike. Took an additional 3+ weeks to get all those disjointed miles after MT K going into late fall but if I hadn't it would have been a lasting regret I wouldn't want as it would have likely led to further deception.

Whew! Free, Free at last, Free at last.

Regretted that I went too fast on many occasions. Time off work was limited and I had a tight schedule.
    But I should have taken more time off work and slowed down.
    On your deathbed you won't be saying "gee I wish that I had worked more days than I did.".

can't help you. absolutely no regrets.the activity shouldn't lend itself to that.

wait i minute...I regret that I don't get to spend more time on some trail with nothing but me and my pack.

I have no greater respect for a person than when they admit they made a mistake and were wrong. I love your honesty and openness to share with others, so they can learn. Happy Holidays.

Images

Only regrets are the times I've gotten caught up in the high mileage goals. I'm getting much better at just enjoying every 1/4 mile and not rushing. Always something to see and appreciate if the goal is being there, not getting there.

My only real regret was that I didn't have the money to yoyo. That was my feeling on both AT and CDT hikes. The PCT was the only trail I was happy to be finished. But then, I pushed harder on the PCT than I did on the other trails.

Journal Entries
    Images

I regretted that I flip flopped. During the NOBO part of my hike I met many new friends. After reaching Duncannon, I took a week off, went to Maine and continued as a SOBO. There just wasn't that many SOBO hikers and it was difficult to make a lot of new hiker friends. I did cross paths with many of the friends that continued NOBO, but these meetings were brief. I also missed having to finish my hike on the top of Katahdin.
    Grampie-N->2001

No regrets here. I had a wonderful hike, even though I didn't complete the trail. But I'll be back better than ever and ready to go end to end. I might slow down a bit and enjoy the little things a bit more but that's about all I would change.

Images

At times I wonder if I regret doing my they so fast. Then I keep coming back to it was that or nothing AND if I were hiking it again I likely would do a similiar style hike. So, in the end, no regrets because normally things are trade offs, you give and take based on info at the time.

Not having my phone charged between Stratton and Monson to get notice that my Mother died. She wanted me to finish my journey I was told.
    She always told me "GO TAKE A HIKE" and I loved her for that.

Journal Entries
    Images

* Undue worry about snow in the Smokies cutting my trip short (as a SOBO)
    * Not appreciating all the magical moments-- I took too much in stride
    * Should have kept a more personal (for my eyes only) journal rather than dates and places
    * Should have taken the (then) blue blaze into Harper's Ferry

and most of all

* Should have introduced myself to Charles Bronson and offered to buy him a beer or at least ask him if you can really crack walnuts by throwing the against a window. He was sitting on a bench by himself on the road running through Hanover -- I had seen virtually all his movies during the prior year, including one in French where did the walnut thing. But I just did the double take, and walked on by. Argh.

Images

Practically zero regrets, other than that it's over! I guess maybe I regret that a few times I skipped some just-off-trail extra-credit things, just because I didn't feel like it at the time, and I missed a couple/few cool little town stops that folks rave about.

Sure was a great experience, better than I was led to believe by some friends (out here in CO) that had done the trail. I personally cannot justify doing it again though, just because there are too many other trails. I'll definitely return to re-do a few highlights, like the Smokies, the White's and the entire state of Maine.

biggest regret on several AT hikes is obsessing too much over making big miles each day...and leaving some hikers behind that I had become good friends with....after the hike I wished I had stuck with them, cuz pushing ahead put me in a completely different group/bubble of hikers. In future I will be happy to just hike a more moderate pace and not worry about daily miles

There are so many positives it is very difficult to dwell on any form of regret as a result of my thru-hike. Not taking the steps to receive my patch maybe a regret.

I bailed an attempted thru hike, and that's a big regret.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I took my time and tried to explore as many trail towns as possible. While the WhiteBlaze will offer plenty of intense memories, meeting the amazing supportive people in these special towns is a unique reward reserved for the AT traveler.

Go to town. Meet the people. They will be there for you when you're done. You will understand why that's so important later :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++