WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Horton's speed records all evaporating!

Horton,

Get out there and set another!!!

You going to try to lower your previous AT, Long Trail, and PCT records or something different?

I heard from a little birdie that the Colorado Trail may be next.

He just set the PCT record, it may be sometime before someone beats it.

I was under the impression Squeaky beat it even though he didn't start out trying to lower it???

LW,

Since you the hiker trash man and also have been involved in running ultras and in supporting Horton before, where do you come down on the most efficient way of doing a speed/endurance attempt:

strictly walking
    a combination of walking and jogging
    all jogging

???

As far as I know, Squeaky beat the self-supported "backpacking" record held by the Wall but Horton, in his supported hike, has that by nearly 20 days.

OK thanks !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lobster
    LW,

Since you the hiker trash man and also have been involved in running ultras and in supporting Horton before, where do you come down on the most efficient way of doing a speed/endurance attempt:

strictly walking
    a combination of walking and jogging
    all jogging

???
    Definately a combination.

Here's a link to Wall's Book on his speed hike of the PCT (unsupported like Sly says) (2003) He is really a great writer as well as excellent hiker/runner. I enjoyed his book.
    Records are made to be broken. Horton's PCT hike may take a little while to be beaten but i was most surprised at Flying Brian's Triple Crown in 300 days being beaten. (by Squeaky although he still has 2 weeks to go i believe. )

Oh, i forgot the link (above post) here it is: http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/50/166.htm?654

Default Fiddlehead

Although Squeaky still has until the end of Dec, 31st to be exact , if done by then and no hazzards extreme to get in his way I work it out to the end of the month that the Triple Crown will be done in 237 or so days therefore beating Flying Brian by almost 63 days and Squeaky walked consecutively.

I think we are looking at an awesome guy here and I am proud to say , well of course he is my SON.

Stef (England)

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead
    Here's a link to Wall's Book on his speed hike of the PCT (unsupported like Sly says) (2003)
    I don't know if it was Squeaky's intention to set the "backpacking" record on the PCT but he only beat Wall's record by a day or so.

Records are made to be broken. Horton's PCT hike may take a little while to be beaten but i was most surprised at Flying Brian's Triple Crown in 300 days being beaten. (by Squeaky although he still has 2 weeks to go i believe. )
    Considering the snowpack on the PCT this year, yes it's truly remarkable Squeaky broke Wall's record and without an unfortunate accident or something, is about to shatter Brian's TC record.

While we're at it, doesn't Ward hold the "unoffical" un-supported backpacking AT record at something like 60 or 66 days? If so, that's apparently safe for the time being.

LW will remember better than I, but it was 56 or 58 days for Ward L. Horton, Scott and Ward were all 2 days apart.
    BTW, I'm not sure Brains hike was totally unsupported. He has some interesting theories on "support". Regardless, the 2 hikes hardly compare. Give BR credit for helping spark interest, but Squeaky is setting the standard.

Default Yeh

I too agree Squeaky is the 'MAN'. He did not in his mind set out to do any record this year other than the 'Triple Crown'. I have worked out if he does it by 31st Dec this year he will have done it in 236/237 days. He has always said and still does that the PCT if you are determined enough to do it can be done unsupported in 60days. His was 81 days but if you take into account all the bad snows this year he says any good hiker could give it a go. He lost quite a good few days due too the bad weather, like being stuck up a mountain for a day and all the other hazzards , but he is very happy with what he has done so far, and also the CDT he took none of the cut offs, as to him that is a way of cheating on what he has set out to do.
    He knows himself although he has only 620 miles left to do, he has a long way to go. I spoke to him on Sunday 11am your time and he was heading out for a 30 mile day and hopes to be in Damacus in 4 days time. He knows one more very bad bout of weather could change this for him but I do know my son and he will crawl if he has too.
    He respects every one elses hike and thinks everyone is amazing when they do there thru-hike, he feels no different from anyone else. I myself did a walk for Breast Cancer this year only 26.4 miles in 5 1/4 hrs, I said to Squeaky "Its not really anything compared to what you are doing" and he said "Mum its is fantastic you achieved what you said you would do", and that is great. He also says he only walks each day and that is no big deal, so you can see he does not believe he has done any thing special. I myself beg to differ and think he is amazing and only a certain few have that bit extra to go.

Happy Holidays to you all.
    We shall be over there for the Holidays and cannot wait to spend Christmas and New Year in America.

Stef

thanx stef for the constant updates....oh and for the ride in 03 just before squeaky's 1st at thruhike finish...it's still a great memory walking up from the approach trail not to the plaque at springer but to a sign that says Congrates Squeaky! hehehe

after 8 miles i was done only to go 800 the next year....you guys are great! preciate ya'll

Quote Originally Posted by Nean
    LW will remember better than I, but it was 56 or 58 days for Ward L. Horton, Scott and Ward were all 2 days apart.
    BTW, I'm not sure Brains hike was totally unsupported. He has some interesting theories on "support". Regardless, the 2 hikes hardly compare. Give BR credit for helping spark interest, but Squeaky is setting the standard.
    Ward 60 days unsupported, Maineak 56 days supported, Horton 52+ days supported.

The AT is not a sporting event, and the ATC does not recognize any records for speed or anything else. Thus, there are no records. Discussion of these things diminishes the AT and detracts from the true intended experie...oh, wait...wrong site. Sorry. Carry on.

It is not quite the same thing, but I found on my 46.2 mile trail runs that running on flats and downhills then switching to a walk on steep uphills, really steep downhills or whenever the ground is too uneven to run worked best. The determining facters for me were either rate of oxygen use or risk of doing multiple face plants. There was a point in steepness where a firm upthrusting walk got more speed and left me less breathless than trying to maintain a jog. And a point going downhill where running is like a runaway semi with no brakes!

I DID get good at bouncing back up again after tripping on rocks without hardly breaking my stride!

The downhill shuffle is great whereby you lower your center of gravity and increase sureness of foot.

Nimblewill Nomad was well-known for that.

tideblazer
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DMA, 2000
    The AT is not a sporting event, and the ATC does not recognize any records for speed or anything else. Thus, there are no records. Discussion of these things diminishes the AT and detracts from the true intended experie...oh, wait...wrong site. Sorry. Carry on.
    good one... you had me going there
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++