WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default What are some light weight hiking pants?

Looking for a pair of full length hiking pants (convertible or not)... but weight specifications are a pain to come by.
    Anyone have suggestions on some light weight hiking pants?

I really like the REI convertibles.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jpolk84 View Post
    I really like the REI convertibles.
    But they don't seem to be the lightest weight pants... at least not the one pair that I could find where someone asked about their weight.
    The REISahara Convertible Pants are over 14oz (nearly a pound). But I can find other pants from the likes of Columbia and Mtn Hardware that are in the 10-11oz range.

Images

Eastern Mountain Sports make nice one, not as heavy as the REI's but a little heavier than Columbia's.
    I have 2 REI's(Heavy), 4 of EMS middle weight, and 2 Columbia (light weight). Just depends temp's you will
    wear them and how much wind you may experience. IMHO at least.
    levibarry

http://www.exofficio.com/products/de...ong-length-s15

http://www.columbia.com/mens-silver-...38%3As&start=0

http://www.columbia.com/mens-silver-...38%3As&start=0

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/me...ariationId=0C5

First thing I do is remove the webbing belt and replace with a draw cord that saves 3 ounces.

http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-con...nt-FM8075.html These have a draw string and mesh briefs already built in SO take the loss of brief wt that might be needed in convertibles with no briefs into the wt of these. It's the same with my Ex Officio convertibles. They have mesh briefs built in so no need to take along sperate briefs with their accompanying 4 oz added wt.

I have two pairs of Bug Away Exofficio (not sure of spelling), I got at an outfitter here balled Black Creek. They are very light but not convertible. They have sort of a air-flow cloth mesh on the inner seams. One of the pairs I have, have about 150 miles on them with no signs of wear. Not a lot of miles I know but I have pretty big thighs and not uncommon for me to see the beginnings of wear on the inner thigh of lesser pants in less that 50 miles. I like them because they are very light and fold up really small. Being so thin, they dry pretty quick.

If I needed a new pair of pants, i would probably buy these montbell wind pants:

http://hikelighter.com/2014/05/05/mo...-usage-review/

I haven't tried their wind pants, but i really like my montbell rain pants. I primarily hike in shorts, so this is just when i need some bug protection or maybe a little warmth. For heavy usage, i would look for a heavier pair of pants.

If I'm going ultra light-weight I just use thin nylon running/wind pants (Patagonia Houdini-like) or my ultralight nylon rain pants.
    If I want pants with cargo pockets, I frequently use my Columbia "Bug Pants" that I don't think they make any more - not convertible and so light, frankly, they are annoying at times.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Just another data point on weights, obviously size DOES make a difference (!), but my 32-32 REI Sahara's weigh 11.0 ounces and 10.9 ounces (my older ones). My Columbia silver-something's also weigh 11.1 ounces. I much prefer the REI Saharas, the Columbias are too tight in my thighs for longer hikes.

Not sure what kind of webbing belt you have DW, but the belt that came with my REI Sahara's weighs 0.8 ounces.

One other note, just my opinion, obvious every ounce counts, but ounces worn on my body all day every day (except the zip-off legs) bother me less than ounces carried on my back.

At 13.6oz, my Prana Zion 31" waist 32" inseam aren't flyweight, yet they're comfortable, easy to wash and they stretch. They come in tons of customizable shapes and colors as well as one option with an all-in-one liner for colder temps (not highly rated, though); check out the reviews on Amazon.

Fjallraven convertible trekker pants are hard to beat...

Not sure what kind of webbing belt you have DW, but the belt that came with my REI Sahara's weighs 0.8 ounces.

What a wt obsessed weirdo. Who weighs their pant belt?

http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-con...nt-FM8075.html These have a draw string and mesh briefs already built in SO take the loss of brief wt that might be needed in convertibles with no briefs into the wt of these. It's the same with my Ex Officio convertibles. They have mesh briefs built in so no need to take along sperate briefs with their accompanying 4 oz added wt.

I have been using these for about 10 years and they work great. I have found with other brands I used previously that the stitching was the weak point. It would wear out and need to be restitched long before the fabric failed. The stitching in the Columbia's seem to last longer. One PITA is that they don't have fly on them.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Looking for a pair of full length hiking pants (convertible or not)... but weight specifications are a pain to come by.
    Anyone have suggestions on some light weight hiking pants?
    Check out the Kuhl brand clothing on line. They manafacture several convertible type extremely light trousers on their site...can't tell you the specific unit ID #s of hand.....I have several pairs for different hiking season temperatures. Pricey, but very well made.

Railriders Eco-Mesh are pretty light, have the bug treatment (claimed good for 70 washes), and the long, zippered mesh vents.

Only problem with them for me is that they're really baggy, and when it's warm I wear shorts anyway.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I generally hike in shorts, even when the weather is in the 30's and 40's. But I'm trying to plan for JMT thru some time in the next few years. One of the details I've noticed in watching and rewatching "Mile - Mile and a Half" is that at certain times during the hike, all the hikers were wearing long pants. Not sure if that was due to the weather or trail comditions. But since I normally wear one pair of shorts and carry a second pair to trade in one pair of shorts for a pair of long pants.

I don't need any special type of pants (such as wind breaker or water repellant) as I already have a very light weight pair of rain pants that are great for rain or as a wind breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I generally hike in shorts, even when the weather is in the 30's and 40's. But I'm trying to plan for JMT thru some time in the next few years. One of the details I've noticed in watching and rewatching "Mile - Mile and a Half" is that at certain times during the hike, all the hikers were wearing long pants. Not sure if that was due to the weather or trail comditions. But since I normally wear one pair of shorts and carry a second pair to trade in one pair of shorts for a pair of long pants.

I don't need any special type of pants (such as wind breaker or water repellant) as I already have a very light weight pair of rain pants that are great for rain or as a wind breaker.
    I never wore pants hiking JMT mid September. On one morning it was in low 20's so I left my cap3 sleep base layer on but was hot fairly quick!! Although the Sierras are getting good snow now so pants might be handy in coming season. I find pants too confining and tend to heat up to quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had been wearing the Columbia Silver Ridge pants. (Just going by memory, I think that they weighed around 13 ounces, including the belt.) They worked well, but they had two counts against them: They weighed more than I wanted, and I hated having to take off my shoes to zip on/off the bottoms, if I wanted to put them on/take them off without getting the mud from my shoes inside. It was to the point where I wouldn't want to lose time on the trail (since I already am the slowest person in the universe) to deal with them, so I would just plod along and get cold, rather than stop and take my shoes off to put them on.

I got some of the REI Saharas. They have an added zipper that cures the problem of having to remove shoes, but they are even heavier than the Columbias. I started looking for another way.

I haven't tried this combination in the field yet, but here is what I am doing for next season. It works well for being able to quickly adjust for thermal requirements, and the total weight on my digital scale comes to only 9.7 ounces.

-Shorts: Patagonia Field Shorts: 3.3 ounces. These are super light, but they come to just above the knee.
    -Zensah Compression Leg Sleeves: 1.9 ounces. When pulled up, these basically bring the height of my leg covering to just below the knee. Combined with the shorts, I have nearly full leg coverage. These have several uses. They provide support to my lower legs and ankles, and they also prevent swelling and allow for faster recovery. If I get warm, I can just pull them down, and they are no longer than a pair of socks. If I get cool, I can pull them back up. No stopping to put on or take off.
    -Luke's Ultralight Wind Pants with zippers going all the way from the waist to bottom cuff. 4.5 ounces. If I need to put them on or take them off, I just use the zippers, and I don't have to deal with also removing my shoes. Worn over the Zensahs, I imagine that this combination will be warmer than the pants that I used to wear.

Images

If you want to go lower cost, try White Sierra, available on Amazon. I have had good luck with them.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

I prefer shorts with a mesh liner and I'll put on a shell over that if rain or other weather dictates. So long zippers (l'm going to stop in rain and pull off my shoes? Doesn't happen) are a must. So I'll take a look at those mentioned here. But I'll add one other comment - pockets, few and simple.
    I've got everything I need _immediately_ hung on my pack or in pockets on my waistbelt. So nothing stays in my pockets except lint.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++