WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default External battery recommendation.

I know I've found a great thread on this before but I cannot for the life of me find it now.

My hiking partner and I plan on carrying one charger each. We will each have a iPhone for guide book, blogging, weather and occasional photos for quick sending to family and blog post and will be sharing a GoPro for the majority of photo/video.

We will both be carrying a wall wort capable of charging two devices at once while in town so in theory we will be able to leave town with all devices at full charge.

At the moment I use a small mophie that can give me about 1 & 1/2 charges. I'm typically pretty good at charging the phone befor it hits 20%, I've read it requires a lot more juice to charge from below that point I'm looking for something that is fairly light weight that can juice up around 3x.

I hope thats enough info. If anyone has saved the link for the last thread on this (it may have been about 6 months ago) please share.

Cheers

Look at the Anker products. A 10,000 mAh battery should give you about 3 charges on an iPhone.

Journal Entries
    Images

This one takes my iPhone6 from below 20% to 100% 3 times. A little heavy, but works great:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s01
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by HDLV View Post
    I know I've found a great thread on this before but I cannot for the life of me find it now.

My hiking partner and I plan on carrying one charger each. We will each have a iPhone for guide book, blogging, weather and occasional photos for quick sending to family and blog post and will be sharing a GoPro for the majority of photo/video.

We will both be carrying a wall wort capable of charging two devices at once while in town so in theory we will be able to leave town with all devices at full charge.

At the moment I use a small mophie that can give me about 1 & 1/2 charges. I'm typically pretty good at charging the phone befor it hits 20%, I've read it requires a lot more juice to charge from below that point I'm looking for something that is fairly light weight that can juice up around 3x.

I hope thats enough info. If anyone has saved the link for the last thread on this (it may have been about 6 months ago) please share.

Cheers

site:whiteblaze.net <search terms>

put that into Google, remove the brackets, and Google will search whiteblaze for you. They also just added this feature to the search page of WB as a secondary means of searching the site.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/cont...-on-WhiteBlaze

Awesome, thanks for that tip!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    Look at the Anker products. A 10,000 mAh battery should give you about 3 charges on an iPhone.
    +1 for Anker. I originally bought another brand, didn't charge as many times as they advertised, but the Anker did. They are so cheap, no reason not to have one of these. Big tradeoff weight for mAh, I think the this 10K range for mAh is about right for long distance hiking (about 7-8 ounces, 3-4 recharges depending on phone).

These things change and get better all the time, so older threads become outdated pretty quickly, and there is nothing wrong with asking questions over and over on this forum, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    +1 for Anker. I originally bought another brand, didn't charge as many times as they advertised, but the Anker did. They are so cheap, no reason not to have one of these. Big tradeoff weight for mAh, I think the this 10K range for mAh is about right for long distance hiking (about 7-8 ounces, 3-4 recharges depending on phone).

These things change and get better all the time, so older threads become outdated pretty quickly, and there is nothing wrong with asking questions over and over on this forum, IMHO.
    The battery quality is a big difference between Anker and other brands. Also, the newest Ankers have QuickCharge built in if you have a compatible phone it will charge much faster. Some of the higher priced (and heavier) options even have QuickCharge for the battery itself, so you can fill up the battery during a brief town stop.

I took an Ankor 10,000 mAh and had way more charge then I needed. You can get/find a charge fairly easy if need be. I liked mine but might 'downgrade' a little to save some weight on my next attempt. I was even able to help give a charge for a few that didn't have an external along the way. I had my droid maxx on airplane mode most of the time unless I was trying to reach out and call/text, so that saved some. If you're a heavy user, I'd say this would be plenty. It's pretty durable too and comes with a mesh type protective case, that's sort of padded for protection. I like it.

Journal Entries

Quick charge is useful for the thru situations however it is usually more efficient to slow charge the battery (if you have the time), both options are helpful on the trail.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but Anker is your answer. It's tempting to go for cheaper with higher ratings, but the Anker will have realistic ratings and will last. And if you ever have any problems (I havent) they supposedly are excellent with customer service. Pay the premium is my recommendation.

Yup, what they said - Anker is the easiest, and most reliable answer.

With just a quick look at Amazon, I didn't see the Ankor 10,000 mAh that is being referred to. If anyone has a link to it at Amazon it would be greatly appreciated.

Images
    Last edited by Tuckahoe; 12-27-2015 at 21:20.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Search for Anker on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...keywords=anker

Jackery also makes some good portable batteries.

I wanted to put in a plug for the PocketJuice 6000mah. It provides about 3.5 full charges to my iPhone 4S. I like it because the wall plug is built in, it can do USB and micro USB simultaneously, and it was about an ounce lighter than a 5400mah external charger I bought at the same time to compare (I don't remember the brand). I've used it often for over a year now and it's been great. It takes awhile to charge, but that's the only negative I see. I wish I could tell you the weight but I'm traveling right now and don't have access to that info. Amazon says 4oz - I think it was more like 6 oz.

Is this the Anker 10000 aMy, at 10 oz, that many are using?

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Charge-A...ds=anker+10000

I think that is an older/heavier model. Here's the one I'm using:
    Anker Astro E3 Ultra Compact 10000mAh Portable Charger with PowerIQ Technology 2nd Generation
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009USAJCC..._IbmGwbWXEZG18

I love this battery.
    I have purchased other Anchor batteries in the past and the time I got one that was not working they replaced it immediately. I can't read the serial number off the product and even though they asked me for it, they still replaced the battery right away without it. No hastles. I just love their products. Everything they make is good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderingventurer View Post
    Is this the Anker 10000 aMy, at 10 oz, that many are using?

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Charge-A...ds=anker+10000
    That is the new one with QuickCharge. I personally have the E3 that LAZ linked to and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    I think that is an older/heavier model. Here's the one I'm using:
    Anker Astro E3 Ultra Compact 10000mAh Portable Charger with PowerIQ Technology 2nd Generation
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009USAJCC..._IbmGwbWXEZG18

I love this battery.
    I have purchased other Anchor batteries in the past and the time I got one that was not working they replaced it immediately. I can't read the serial number off the product and even though they asked me for it, they still replaced the battery right away without it. No hastles. I just love their products. Everything they make is good quality.
    Do you use this battery on Apple products? I was told to use an Apple certified device to recharge an I Phone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++