WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Default Sleeping Pad for Hammock.

Hey guys,

I need help choosing a pad to put in between the layers of my hammock. I don't want to spend a lot on the pad since I would probably rarely sleep directly on it between me and the ground.

What do you think is better; Basic Wally Blue Pad, or maybe a therm-a-rest ridge rest classic? I think the terma rest is light, am I right?

Thanks,
    Cara

Cara,

Just to get this thing started I would like to ask a few questions to better help you.

What type of camping are you thinking about doing?
    In what kind of weather?
    In what kind of temperature?

Just so you know my biased, I am completely against using a pad in my hammock unless my Under Quilt (UQ) is not sufficient enough for the type of cold weather I am in. Then, and only then, will I put my ground pad in between my layers in my hammock.

I will leave the answers to the type of pad you need to the hammock pad users that will come help you out but I am sure they will need at least those questions answered to provide you with the best knowledge for your type of backpacking/camping.

HYOH YMMV

I use a thermarest zlite. It folds down with less bulk. An underquilt is superior but when I use a pad its this.
    "Stand still. The trees ahead and the bush beside you are not lost."

I will not use a pad in a gathered end hammock but always use one in my bridge hammock because they lay flat and straight. For car camping I use a 25" inflatable and for backpacking I use the wide zlite.. I get too much movement and distortion of the pad in a gathered end hammock.

I use a blow up REI Flash. Definitely takes the chill off. I would use an Under Quilt but haven't ordered one. They take weeks to arrive which I find off-putting, which is not to say I won't order one.

Journal Entries

I use a JRB Nest underquilt year round and when the temperature drops to anything below 40F I bring along the blow up REI Flash as well and a Reflectix pad...so far so good.
    hikers gonna hike

Images

I like a wider closed cell foam pad, so the wally world blue pad works, though I cut down the length a bit.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Hey guys,

I will be hiking from may to summer months for my first long distance hike along the AT. I choose the pad technique because I do not have the money to get a quilt set up. I had previously found a super dupper deal for a good light weight bag ($30 for a down bag that was under 2lbs that someone was selling after they didn't want to hike anymore) plus, I had previously never used quilts, and am more familiar with bag/pad technique.

Anyway. I have a gift card for wally which is why I was asking about those two pads. If I got the blue, I would cut it to shape. Not sure about the terms, and cutting.

Are the folding thermarests better to use in a hammock or the rolled ones? I would think the hammock sag would contort the pad over time.

Thanks
    Cara

Images

Cara, what kind of hammock do you have, gathered end or bridge hammock? If it is a bridge, go with a Thermarest NeoAir with the baffles running across the pad instead of the length of the pad. This will give you a near perfect flat lay and eliminate shoulder squeeze.

I have a BMBH and used both quilts and different pads. Did not think the packed bulk of UQ and moisture risk was worth the extra few degrees of comfort. After deciding get on the NeoAir, I sleep as warm in my down sleeping bag as on the ground and no shoulder squeeze.

I also have a gathered end hammock and tried a closed cell foam pad as well as blow up a Big Agnes ThermCore....neither worked good for me. If you go to YouTube and look up Snug and his hammock lessons for newbies, he goes over making a closed cell rig gorgeous gathered end hammocks with wings. You might get some good ideas for there.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Images

Darn auto correct...I meant Shug.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Images

Hey,

I just fell in love with shug. Lol he's quirky and his videos are great. Also, parents are buying me a tadpole tarp tomorow. Yay!

Okay. As far as hammoc, I have a gathered end. I am on the fence about getting a Dutch hammock vs the diy one I have that is a little bit heavy.

I just thought of something. My bag is a long, half mummy by marmot withe one half zpiper and one full. Would it be a easy project to turn it into under/overquilt combination?

I have seen box bags being turned into those slip over hammock diy quilt combos, but never a regular bag.

Would that sort of diy project be superior in warmth (turning bag into hammock bivy thing) or should I stick to a pad,sleeping bag type thing.

++ New Posts ++