WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    Got my permit for June 15th 2016 from Happy Isles pass through --->

Took me three tries though!
    how are you at postholing? Cross your fingers. Theres a reason you got permit easily. Good chance of snow that early.
    Maybe 10-20% of maximum snowpack stilll left in average year. This year is shaping up to be average, or better. Most of those early permits go to people hoping for no snow, and they keep applying for other permits in case there is snow. This could be 2 ft of snow on trail for miles, more around passes. Makes for really interesting water crossings.

sierra.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-11-2016 at 21:19.

I'm glad that there are dozens of other places to go that aren't overcrowded.
    I have learned not to share so that they don't become overcrowded too.
    HYOH.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Pfft.... I thru hiked the Tahoe Rim trail last year late June and there was only snow at the highest points like Freel Peak and Dicks Pass.

I was looking forward to some snow, already have my microspikes ready... it makes the scene that much more amazing.

Pfft.... I thru hiked the Tahoe Rim trail last year late June and there was only snow at the highest points like Freel Peak and Dicks Pass.

I was looking forward to some snow, already have my microspikes ready... it makes the scene that much more amazing.
    2015 was a record low snowpack pretty much everywhere out west. Not just below average. There's already 5x as much snow this year as there was all of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Good points, except the last one... why does it matter which way you're going when you hike the southern half without resupply? I'm missing a point there...
    Yes, good question. For me and my body in 2008, I did very well going Southbound. Being able to start with a lighter pack and ramp up my mileage in the northern half was critical to being prepared to do the southern 110 miles without resupply. I suppose other people might be better off starting fresh with the high miles at the beginning of the trip.

Journal Entries

Yes, it does. And exciting. And exhausting. And very slow going. And hazardous in spots.

Section Hiker

Thanks to the OP for this very helpful thread!

When you guys say it only took you 3 tries to get your permits, what does that mean? Like, did you send 3 separate applications, was this over a time frame, etc? Planning for 2017. Thanks!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++