WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Good trip report and happy for you, sincerely. I usually always start a 2 to 3 week backpacking trip by getting shuttled up to a trailhead and stepping out of a car. It's the best feeling of the whole trip---that first step---with everything I need for 20+ days.
    +1..........
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    Concur!

Protracted wind storms, lasting for hours with 60 mph winds snapping big limbs and blowing down big trees all around, .....IN THE NIGHT,... is terrifying.

I have a friend who spent a year camping in the Cherokee National Forest. He started in August using a hammock and tarp. When it started getting cold in December I took him a canvas wall tent complete with wood stove to use through the winter. His first introduction to big wind storms knocked down a BIG tree that landed 30 feet away, in the exact spot his hammock had been hanging a week earlier.

Imagine the sound of a cracked baseball bat. Now, imagine that sound on a 2 foot diameter poplar tree. Now, imagine it within spitting distance,....in the dark.
    And you're not even doing it justice. It literally sounds like a bomb exploding. Terrible in the total darkness - even worse in a hammock. There was a guy in his 70's about 50 yards away during the night this happened. I mentioned it to him, and he thanked me for reminding him, telling me it scared the crap out of him, haha.

Money, available to leave for a week or more to go hiking, with no money coming in while I am hiking, since I am self employed. Then some sort of health issue either on the trail or off that would prevent me from ever hiking again. Then it would be other people. As far as nature goes.. the bears, weather, bees, ticks, etc. common sense, plan for it and think ahead, be prepared if something does go wrong! It can. If you spend enough time in the woods or mountains you will encounter most of these mentioned "fears" eventually, I have. So take enough stuff with you to be prepared!

Falling... This fear began after I fell 3-4 feet in Yosemite NP and broke several ribs...

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    Falling... This fear began after I fell 3-4 feet in Yosemite NP and broke several ribs...
    Falling always sucks. I have to be extra careful due to two main factors: Advancing age of this body and a pack weight always around 75-85 lbs. Pack weight changes everything. A simple creek crossing with a daypack is nothing like the same crossing with a big pack.

Funny thing is, and I probably already mentioned it, is that I don't fall nearly as much as I used to fall. When I was younger I could take a fall and fell often. Now I cannot afford to fall so I go slower with much more careful boot placement. This simple technique has reduced my backpacking falls by 80%.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Chronic injuries

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    A leg injury that would take so long to heal that I, presently at age 61, would not be able to finish The Trail. I've already had one torn MCL that cost me half a year in hiking, and I know there are even worse injuries that could take me off back-packing for a longer time. I'm thus SUPER sensitive to knee & joint pains, and never take risks that might result in a long-term damage.
    Me too. I'm currently rehabilitating a chronic hamstring condition that's been getting worse the last year. I used to be able to knock out 12-15 mile days. Right now I can't do more than 4-5 without being in excruciating pain the next day. Doc says I need 2 more series of injections before I can really go back out.

So for me:
    1- chronic injury that'll keep me from hiking like I used to
    2- getting hurt (twisting an ankle/knee, or bashing my head open on a rock- I hike solo)
    3- ticks. Ticks. TICKS. I'm dark-skinned, so I'd have a harder time noticing one on me. *shudder*
    4- non-hikers who wish to cause trouble/harm others
    Last edited by JumpMaster Blaster; 01-01-2016 at 16:36.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Me too. I'm currently rehabilitating a chronic hamstring condition that's been getting worse the last year. I used to be able to knock out 12-15 mile days. Right now I can't do more than 4-5 without being in excruciating pain the next day. Doc says I need 2 more series of injections before I can really go back out.

So for me:
    1- chronic injury that'll keep me from hiking like I used to
    2- getting hurt (twisting an ankle/knee, or bashing my head open on a rock- I hike solo)
    3- ticks. Ticks. TICKS. I'm dark-skinned, so I'd have a harder time noticing one on me. *shudder*
    4- non-hikers who wish to cause trouble/harm others
    So do a 20 day trip at 4 miles a day and punch out 80 good miles and with some fantastic loops.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    So do a 20 day trip at 4 miles a day and punch out 80 good miles and with some fantastic loops.
    I'm saving my vacation time for the next 4 months until I punch out of the Army and retire.

After 4 April 2016 (when I take all my extra vacation)? Game on.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    I don't know when it happened-but I journaled about it when I realized it, in Maine. http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=514575

I did get a secondary lightning strike in VT, coming down Killington. The lighting hit (or came up) directly in front of me, threw my poles from my hands and resulted in blistering burns on my body and mild capilary flowering. I felt the current in my body. I have suffered some slight hearing loss from that and my ears are still ringing months later.
    If I were to hike again-I would definitely be more careful in lightning storms on ridge lines. After that, my heart beat a little faster when I heard those storms rolling in, and I did seek some sort of shelter immediately. You think..what are the odds...but after that happened I felt like the odds were pretty good. Your best weapon against all sorts of situations is your gut. Go against it and you almost always regret it.
    At the VERY first flash of lightning (the 3 or 4 times I got caught out in a thunderstorm), my pack comes OFF and my poles go in the other direction. Something about carrying two lightning rods in my hands unnerves me.

I'm not a fearful person. My most significant concern would be humans that are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather-man View Post
    I'm not a fearful person. My most significant concern would be humans that are evil.
    That was my original fear.... I only stayed in a tent to avoid the people in shelters..

However, I quickly learned that the socialization of the trail was just as valuable to me as the actual hiking!

Day hikers, infinite questions right when I've settled into a wonderful state of hiker hypnosis, thats the worst. Giardia is a close second...

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan View Post
    Day hikers, infinite questions right when I've settled into a wonderful state of hiker hypnosis, thats the worst. Giardia is a close second...
    Dayhikers, yes.

The locals sometimes creep me out.
    I can deal with everything else on the trail; the hills, weather, bugs, you name it.
    But to pull up to a shelter late at night and find it full of local hillbillies who are unhappy to see a hiker. Bleh. Happened repeatedly in NC/TN last year.

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    The locals sometimes creep me out.
    I can deal with everything else on the trail; the hills, weather, bugs, you name it.
    But to pull up to a shelter late at night and find it full of local hillbillies who are unhappy to see a hiker. Bleh. Happened repeatedly in NC/TN last year.
    Why in Odin's name would you make a shelter your day's destination?? It's a bonfire rat-box for the nature-impaired.

Journal Entries

Im not too worried about myself, what happens to me , just happens.
    I do worry that family will have a prooblem and cannot reach me.
    A few times Ive been out of touch for a week or so.
    I cross my fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tractor View Post
    Lightning .
    See the photo of the results of an AT lightning strike on this thread. Lightning is definitely something to fear in my book.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...l-June-18-2015

Yes to falling. I think that's how I got this rotator cuff injury a few years ago - which I've been getting shots for, but seeing the doc on 1/11, and will probably now have surgery; and they tell me the recovery from this ain't gonna be easy...

Images

Injury. I'm terrified of suffering a sprained ankle or broken leg in a remote area. Remember that guy who was crawling along at less than 1 mph and carefully planting every step whenever the trail got a little rough? Yep, that was me.
    It's all good in the woods.

My biggest fear? Banjo playing perverts!!! Accordions rule!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++