WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Biggest Fear On The Trail

What's your biggest fear on the trail? Twisting an ankle, bears, snakes, ticks, hypothermia, etc...

Mine are spraining an ankle (especially living and hiking in PA), and tick born illnesses (especially living and hiking in PA).

Blisters. I have had a handful of hikes ruined by them. If I had been chased by a bear or bitten by a snake, those fears might be more real for me, but they just aren't right now. I'm more concerned about mentally ill humans than any of the natural threats. Again though, blisters are the bigger fear for me.

Journal Entries
    Images

The possibility of stepping in a rocky hole and breaking a leg/wrenching a knee really started to bother me in my section hike on the Tuscarora Trail this year.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    Blisters. I have had a handful of hikes ruined by them. If I had been chased by a bear or bitten by a snake, those fears might be more real for me, but they just aren't right now. I'm more concerned about mentally ill humans than any of the natural threats. Again though, blisters are the bigger fear for me.
    Try Wrightsocks. Guaranteed blister free, And they actually work. REI's best sellers and the best trail stores have them too.
    www.wrightsocks.com
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

Images

Falling is my fear because I often hike alone .

Becoming incapacitated due to injury or illness (which has happened ), ie. kidney stone episode is number one.

Dehydration -- loss of electrolytes during hot days causing confusion , dizziness, and general lethargy is a close #2
    Also has occurred once me .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I don't know what it's like to be alone with myself for a long time. I'm invigorated by the thought, but I wonder …
    I'm thruhiking the Bruce Trail here in Ontario, inviting friends to join me for day(s), and flopping with friends and family various times along the way. I'll be taking about five days doing a semi-circle around home mid-hike and will be slack-packing that part thanks to my wonderful supportive wife of 43 years, so that will blunt my fear.
    I'm thinking / hoping that the other gains from this bucket-list venture will temper my trepidation of relative solitude.

Bruce Traillium

Images

Hands down, ticks and Lyme disease. Even given being able to mitigate the risk somewhat using permethrin treated clothing and DEET, contracting a disease that often lasts for years and can be very debilitating freaks me out a bit. I figure that if I fall or get ill, and unless I die from it, I will be found and recover pretty much fully. Same goes for most common ailments like Giardia and Noro, etc. - I'll live to hike again. Bears, moose, hypothermia I have much more control over. I've heard horror stories regarding Lyme. Some 50% of people who get it don't even recall getting bit by a tick. And some don't respond to the antibiotic treatments. I HATE TICKS!
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Hands down, ticks and Lyme disease. Even given being able to mitigate the risk somewhat using permethrin treated clothing and DEET, contracting a disease that often lasts for years and can be very debilitating freaks me out a bit. I figure that if I fall or get ill, and unless I die from it, I will be found and recover pretty much fully. Same goes for most common ailments like Giardia and Noro, etc. - I'll live to hike again. Bears, moose, hypothermia I have much more control over. I've heard horror stories regarding Lyme. Some 50% of people who get it don't even recall getting bit by a tick. And some don't respond to the antibiotic treatments. I HATE TICKS!
    X2 on this. By far my biggest concern.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Agree. Its almost a toss of the dice when it comes to ticks, everything else there is some sort of control

Scooting along with my earbuds in a stepping on a rattler.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”

Mark Twain

Ticks. Period.

Cold and ticks. I know cold is easily mitigated but I'm cold sitting in a warm dry house with the thermostat set to 75, so carrying enough clothing to keep me warm gets heavy. Ticks for all the reasons described above.

Images

No sleep, I just do not sleep for days, then I wipe out. Long nights of not sleeping are my biggest fear. I also agree with the ticks fear, my close 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis7590 View Post
    Scooting along with my earbuds in a stepping on a rattler.

Rattlesnakes always sober me up fast. I get out of my usual hiking hippie bubble and exhibit a sort of Dick Cheney frown---not good and not fun. This friend above caught me coming down the Big Fat Gap trail in a terrible heatwave on a backpacking trip and I stopped to clip a briar out of my face with my pruners and heard a cicada-like buzz.

"Hmm . . . ." I said and wondered about the buzz. Looked down at my feet on the trail and ZAPPO! There he is. I saw two on the same day.

Images

In order: yellow jackets, ticks, running out of toilet paper.

Journal Entries
    Images

Unhappy Since you asked

A leg injury that would take so long to heal that I, presently at age 61, would not be able to finish The Trail. I've already had one torn MCL that cost me half a year in hiking, and I know there are even worse injuries that could take me off back-packing for a longer time. I'm thus SUPER sensitive to knee & joint pains, and never take risks that might result in a long-term damage.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Chronic injuries

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    A leg injury that would take so long to heal that I, presently at age 61, would not be able to finish The Trail. I've already had one torn MCL that cost me half a year in hiking, and I know there are even worse injuries that could take me off back-packing for a longer time. I'm thus SUPER sensitive to knee & joint pains, and never take risks that might result in a long-term damage.
    Me too. I'm currently rehabilitating a chronic hamstring condition that's been getting worse the last year. I used to be able to knock out 12-15 mile days. Right now I can't do more than 4-5 without being in excruciating pain the next day. Doc says I need 2 more series of injections before I can really go back out.

So for me:
    1- chronic injury that'll keep me from hiking like I used to
    2- getting hurt (twisting an ankle/knee, or bashing my head open on a rock- I hike solo)
    3- ticks. Ticks. TICKS. I'm dark-skinned, so I'd have a harder time noticing one on me. *shudder*
    4- non-hikers who wish to cause trouble/harm others
    Last edited by JumpMaster Blaster; 01-01-2016 at 16:36.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Me too. I'm currently rehabilitating a chronic hamstring condition that's been getting worse the last year. I used to be able to knock out 12-15 mile days. Right now I can't do more than 4-5 without being in excruciating pain the next day. Doc says I need 2 more series of injections before I can really go back out.

So for me:
    1- chronic injury that'll keep me from hiking like I used to
    2- getting hurt (twisting an ankle/knee, or bashing my head open on a rock- I hike solo)
    3- ticks. Ticks. TICKS. I'm dark-skinned, so I'd have a harder time noticing one on me. *shudder*
    4- non-hikers who wish to cause trouble/harm others
    So do a 20 day trip at 4 miles a day and punch out 80 good miles and with some fantastic loops.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    So do a 20 day trip at 4 miles a day and punch out 80 good miles and with some fantastic loops.
    I'm saving my vacation time for the next 4 months until I punch out of the Army and retire.

After 4 April 2016 (when I take all my extra vacation)? Game on.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

GOD...always, everywhere.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++