WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default This will open the door to some thought….

What is the most most dangerous section of trail/or particular spot on the trail and that includes all 2185 miles (and any section can be the worst if you wear steak round your head in your tent at night or cross a hiway at night wearing dark clothes,no head,
    lamp running circles backward.)

Depends on which danger you consider. NJ has the most bears. The White's, the most unpredictable weather (I believe more people have died of exposure on Mt Washington, than on Everest). Mahoosic Notch is considered the most difficult mile. Trail towns and shelters next to roads, probably the most danger from drunks.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Probably the seemingly easy and level sections. That where I'm most likely to roll an ankle as I'm not paying as much attention to where my feet are then I do on difficult sections of trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

The majority of White Blaze website member is the most dangerous for future thru hikers for trying to convince you that your hike is not important. It is one of the most important things in humanity, but they will make you feel otherwise here.

As for the trail itself, it's just walking and that gives all of humanity a better future.

Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation My two cents

If the questions you're asking are, "Which part of the AT has the most fatalities per hiker-mile?" or "Which part of the AT is the most unforgiving of arrogance or carelessness or stupidity?", then my (uneducated) guess would be The Whites. Friends periodically ask me if I'm afraid of bears on The Trail, and I always respond that bears are pretty much a non-issue. I then note that failure to properly prepare for even moderately bad weather in The Whites can be rapidly fatal.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 01-08-2016 at 15:13. Reason: Badly worded

Journal Entries
    Images

What is the most most dangerous section of trail? Hmmmm.

The section you are not prepared for.

The Owl has spoken.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

First place: Damascus vortex
    Second place: The Presidentials
    Third place: 100 Mile Wilderness (don't get giardia in there!!!)
    Fourth place: Smokies in the winter

I haven't done the entire trail yet, but so far I'd vote Dragon's Tooth or a few places on the ridge nearby. I hate heights.

To expand a little on Owl's comment, the section you get complacent.

Quote Originally Posted by ATaBoy View Post
    What is the most most dangerous section of trail/or particular spot on the trail and that includes all 2185 miles
    PA. it's where most deaths and assaults have occured

Images

My vote would be the short road walk just north of Front Royal. I had to jump off the road to avoid being hit by a cop car.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    PA. it's where most deaths and assaults have occured
    Good point.

By way of contrast, I would note that while 5 (possibly 6) THRU HIKERS have been murdered on the AT itself, none of them were killed in a state north of PA.

While a statistically rare occurrence, homicide is by far the leading cause of death ON THE TRAIL for both male and female THRU HIKERS under the age of 45.

Good thread. Good comments. Be prepared. Be aware. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Dangerous is a strong word, but the Whites and the first parts of Maine with unpredictable weather and crazy steep terrain are the first things that come to my mind. Bears really shouldn't be a problem anywhere if you follow basic guidelines. People? just let your gut tell you when to keep movin.

I remember trying to cross parkway in NY as pretty scary. Cars whipping by at 70 plus miles and hour and lousy sightlines.

The whites can be very dangerous if you hit crappy weather. It has snowed on Mt Washington every month of the year, exposed hiking above treeline for several miles combined with wind and rain can cause hypothermia even to the well equipped and there is some lightning hazard in the summer. Of course the exposure above treeline on a nice day makes it one of the most memorable spots on the trail for many so its a two edged sword.

I do get chuckle about a prior post listing Dragons Tooth, that's just a normal day in the whites and Maine

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Conductor View Post
    Dangerous is a strong word, but the Whites and the first parts of Maine with unpredictable weather and crazy steep terrain are the first things that come to my mind....
    Gotta agree with this. I got stuck in flash flooding on the steep descent of Mt Moriah, probably the most "exciting" day of my AT hike.

In any place there are rocks and roots, especially when wet/muddy, the risk of falls is pretty high. It pays to remember that slips and falls are the most common backcountry accident, not bears or lightning or hypothermia.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Default Just an opinion

This is speaking not from experience, but research only. I would say probably parts of Pennsylvania due to the extreme variation in terrain, or the 100 miles wilderness on the final stretch to Katahdin simply because of the inability to get help if you're in the middle (it supposedly takes most 7-10 days).
    -Twigs

This is speaking not from experience, but research only. I would say probably parts of Pennsylvania due to the extreme variation in terrain, or the 100 miles wilderness on the final stretch to Katahdin simply because of the inability to get help if you're in the middle (it supposedly takes most 7-10 days).

Your research is a common misconception, the stretch from Monson to Abol Bridge near Katahdin is hyped as the "100 mile wilderness" but it is crisscrossed by a fairly extensive logging road network. Rarely are you more than a few hours from a road crossing, there is traffic on these roads but unless the area is actively being logged it may take awhile (hours not days). The Mahoosucs actually have a longer distance with no road crossings public or private but there are several side trails that drop down to roads in a few hours (although like the 100MW they maybe logging roads with variable use)

Huh, well like I said, research not experience. Thanks though, it's a little releaving to hear that and not have to consider the thought of being totally alone for a week or more out there .
    -Twigs

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    What is the most most dangerous section of trail? Hmmmm.

The section you are not prepared for.

The Owl has spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    To expand a little on Owl's comment, the section you get complacent.
    This and that.

One night at dusk I got a hitch into town with an older lady who as I soon discovered could not see crap. She hit the dirt shoulder twice and once I thought we were going to roll. Danger is often found where you least expect it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++