WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

golfhiker here, the op... who knew that a basic simple question would touch on so many different aspects of trail decorum. This went way beyond "do I remove the cardboard from my tp", and honestly, I have learned a ton. We have gone all over the world, had our usual sarcasm and sarcastic responses, had scientific data and references to support such, and so many experienced veterans who have tried it all. I may not give up my tp, but I will adopt a much stronger LNT, and cat hole procedure... not sure who is correct on all of the points, as many serious responses could lead to different answers, but I have truly been enlightened.

I don't want to sound inexperienced, as I'm not, but there may be others out there who simply did not know all about the finer points of doing your business in the woods or even privy's. As silly as that sounds, not too many of my hiking community discuss their personal hygiene program during our hike.

Thanks again to everyone for their thoughtful input.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

I plan on using a bottom 1/2 of a 1/2 gal. milk jug as a wash basin. 1/2 a paper towel for the poopy wash, dump water, refill, then soapy butt wash, maybe dump again, final hand wash. Some variation should be good for lady parts also.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I plan on using a bottom 1/2 of a 1/2 gal. milk jug as a wash basin. 1/2 a paper towel for the poopy wash, dump water, refill, then soapy butt wash, maybe dump again, final hand wash. Some variation should be good for lady parts also.
    A good solution. You may want to think about something more easily packed and perhaps less weight though, maybe something like this?

http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/...llon-water-bag

Journal Entries

Default Monkey butt

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    Guess I'm in the opposite camp from most. I haven't carried TP in years, but won't go anywhere without wipes. They clean much better than TP, so a single wipe goes further. I can use it to clean my face and body, making it multi-purpose. A freezer bag ziplock makes packing them out clean and sanitary. Sometimes I let a stack airdry for a week or so, for lighter weight, and dehydrate them with a little water.

Yes, they're heavier than TP....but for me, being happy, clean, and comfortable, with no monkey butt is worth a couple extra ounces.
    down in Texas they call that the red ass!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    A good solution. You may want to think about something more easily packed and perhaps less weight though, maybe something like this?

http://www.antigravitygear.com/shop/...llon-water-bag

I use the bottom inch or so of a gallon milk jug. Doesn't weigh anything and packs fine with sleeping bag or down jacket stuffed in. I find it really helps me with hand/face/other washing.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Sanitary wipes: A 16 ounce container with 200 sheets weighs about 4 ounces when completely dry.
    You can use a RX pill bottle to rehydrate. Three to four sheets rolled and tucked into a medium size pill bottle and about a tablespoon or so of water will rehydrate fairly quickly and be pretty water proof.
    Zip locks should work although I have not tried them. As already noted the used sheets need to be packed out.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    I use the bottom inch or so of a gallon milk jug. Doesn't weigh anything and packs fine with sleeping bag or down jacket stuffed in. I find it really helps me with hand/face/other washing.
    Gotcha. For some reason I envisioned a plastic milk container cut down like a boat bailer....

Images

This is a commercial TP. sheets are packed flat. Sheets are double layered, are tuff and yet soft to the touch. I scored some at a campground in MS and I'm working on a way to carry an inch thick of it for weekend trips.

Cottonell bath tissue.
    http://restauranttory.com/cottonelle...FZODaQodsMcBUw

I like sandpaper

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Googan View Post
    I like sandpaper

What grit size works for you?
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    What grit size works for you?
    a quick fine wet sand.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    The right tilt of your behind when squatting is important for success. .
    This reminds me of the "Squatty Potty" advertisement I saw this morning! Funny video: http://boingboing.net/2015/10/09/uni...tty-potti.html

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++