WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

:banana Transporting Medicine Idea!

Being new I asked for advice and I've gotten a lot good stuff! Most of it seems to concern with packing light. I was told to cut out as much weight as I could. One of my biggest issues was I take A LOT of pills every day, 5 times a day. [XFLOAT]my breakfest.jpg[/XFLOAT]My breakfast, with the pills being the main course! Any how this is what I came up with. (I will add pics when I get it finished)

I tried using my food saver to make small rows of 5 pockets per day. It can't do it. The old style could. However, I figured out this way and it's cheaper too boot! 3M window insulation film!

First, lay one sheet film out flat. Next, take the double faced tape and create a checker board pattern. I need 5 columns and however many rows I can get. Divide your pills by time of day you take them and place them on the checker board in on row and repeat until the desired rows are filled. Then, take a second of film and place it on top and seal it to the sheet below starting with the middle and work out to the edges. You now have the option the take a hair dryer and shrink it tight or not. Lastly, cut down the center of the rows (not the columns) and separate each day's pills into strips.

So, if you were going to be 10 days in between mail drops you would carry 10 strips. I my case I would carry 15 in case I got hung up on the trail and it took longer to get to the next drop point. Tell me what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by NewHeart View Post
    Being new I asked for advice and I've gotten a lot good stuff! Most of it seems to concern with packing light. I was told to cut out as much weight as I could. One of my biggest issues was I take A LOT of pills every day, 5 times a day. [XFLOAT]my breakfest.jpg[/XFLOAT]My breakfast, with the pills being the main course! Any how this is what I came up with. (I will add pics when I get it finished)

I tried using my food saver to make small rows of 5 pockets per day. It can't do it. The old style could. However, I figured out this way and it's cheaper too boot! 3M window insulation film!

First, lay one sheet film out flat. Next, take the double faced tape and create a checker board pattern. I need 5 columns and however many rows I can get. Divide your pills by time of day you take them and place them on the checker board in on row and repeat until the desired rows are filled. Then, take a second of film and place it on top and seal it to the sheet below starting with the middle and work out to the edges. You now have the option the take a hair dryer and shrink it tight or not. Lastly, cut down the center of the rows (not the columns) and separate each day's pills into strips.

So, if you were going to be 10 days in between mail drops you would carry 10 strips. I my case I would carry 15 in case I got hung up on the trail and it took longer to get to the next drop point. Tell me what you think.
    I would never try to discourage someone from a do-it-yourself solution, (which is very creative), but I think you better take the labels from the prescription bottles with you to prove that you are not dealing/using illegal drugs, if anyone in authority should ask.

Also, some pharmacies will prepackage your scrips in blister packs in a similar manner, along with the typical scrip information. In RI, they are called Med-Packs, and are very popular with long-term care facilities and individuals who need to take a lot of pills, as you do.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

My biggest concern would be if any of your meds are "schedule drugs." Some states have laws that prohibit possessing them outside their original containers. Probably not a big concern, but . . .

EDIT: The other thing, having helped a relative who had a transplant (I fabricated several complex pill organizers for her), is that your meds and/or dosages may change, especially given your level of exertion, fitness, and dietary changes on the trail. If you package them up too far in advance, it may create possible problems in that regard.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 12-31-2015 at 17:19.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    My biggest concern would be if any of your meds are "schedule drugs." Some states have laws that prohibit possessing them outside their original containers. Probably not a big concern, but . . .
    Most states have laws making it illegal to have your medication in anything but the original labeled bottle. IMHO its highly unlikely that this would be an issue on the trail unless you get busted for something else. But definitely something you should be aware of.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post

EDIT: The other thing, having helped a relative who had a transplant (I fabricated several complex pill organizers for her), is that your meds and/or dosages may change, especially given your level of exertion, fitness, and dietary changes on the trail. If you package them up too far in advance, it may create possible problems in that regard.
    Both of these are concerns that I had. Unfortunately I need to carry 14 large bottles. Takes up space and add weight. I carry a list of all my meds at all times. Oh well, here I thought I was a genius or something. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

what about something like this:http://www.campdoc.com/pharmacy/

seems like it should meet the legal aspect as every blister pack is labeled

If u get stopped by the cops !! Just show them the giant scar on your chest !! I think they will let u go . I pack my drugs in plastic mini bags .

Thom

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kimbur96 View Post
    what about something like this:http://www.campdoc.com/pharmacy/

seems like it should meet the legal aspect as every blister pack is labeled
    I'm not sure that will work for me with the insurance I have. I either use their mail order so I can get 90 day supply or go to my local registered pharmacy. Otherwise I pay a much higher out of pocket (2-3 times higher based on the med). I will check though. The other part of this some are supplements to counteract what the meds are doing to the rest of the body and they are not covered. I don't think they can blister pack those in as well.

I've seen people pull out gallon zip locks 1/4 full of assorted pills and start picking out various colors and shapes to pop. "Vitamins" I'm told Probably not the best method.

I could see using the idea Newheart came up with for the occasional short duration hike, of say a week or less. Beyond that you really need to step up to small pill bottles.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I've seen people pull out gallon zip locks 1/4 full of assorted pills and start picking out various colors and shapes to pop. "Vitamins" I'm told Probably not the best method.

I could see using the idea Newheart came up with for the occasional short duration hike, of say a week or less. Beyond that you really need to step up to small pill bottles.
    The problem with small pill bottles is some of the pills are bigger then horse capsules and they don't hold but 2-3 days. Just got to talk the the pharmacy to see if there is an alternative. Damn, I thought I had a spark of genius.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NewHeart View Post
    Both of these are concerns that I had. Unfortunately I need to carry 14 large bottles. Takes up space and add weight. I carry a list of all my meds at all times. Oh well, here I thought I was a genius or something. Guess it's back to the drawing board.
    I wouldn't outright ditch the idea - it sounds pretty good. Perhaps talk to your docs and/or pharmaceutical supplier about the situation. Maybe they can do something regarding duplicate labels etc. From what I understand these laws usually only affect the "Schedule 1 through 5" drugs (mostly all pain killers) that are often abused. And the reality is most of us at our age don't get regarded with much suspicion by law enforcement - especially if you have a zipper on your sternum.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    If u get stopped by the cops !! Just show them the giant scar on your chest !! I think they will let u go . I pack my drugs in plastic mini bags .

Thom
    LMAO, which one? I got one down the middle and one on each side under the collar bones and six round ones on the belly! It looks I've been to a war zone.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

I like his idea and may try it the next time I go out for a week or so.

I currently use small ziplocks. I told my wife I wanted small ziplocks and she got 2"X3", I was thinking smaller. I cut them in half and put tape across the bottom with the ziplock and fold the cut part of the other half over and tape it - one's AM and the other is PM. Yeah I know its work to set up but I've got 100- to use. It works for me. Bottles would get bulky.

I've done two week business trips this way. I'm already set up for a week vacation in Florida this week - forecast 40s in Pittsburgh, 70s in Jacksonville.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

The smaller ziplocks can be purchased at arts and craft stores. Walmart has a smaller one that is 1" x 2".
    The pharmacys I go to not only put the script on the bottle but also print out another one along with the price and some other information. I would not have a problem with taking my meds in a zip lock along with the seperate script cut/folded to fit the size ziplock bag you would chose to use.

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

see if a pharmacy in your area is providing "Medicine on Time"
    www.medicine-on-time.com
    Even if you don't get your meds from that pharmacy(must use mail order), they can package them in bubble strips by dosage time along with your supplements
    Will cost you a few bucks, but will meet your needs and be legal with proper labeling
    just another idea----

[QUOTE=Rolls Kanardly;2029198]The smaller ziplocks can be purchased at arts and craft stores. Walmart has a smaller one that is 1" x 2".The pharmacys I go to not only put the script on the bottle but also print out another one along with the price and some other information.[/QUOTE

Easy-Dose Pill Pouches are available everywhere...about $2 for 100.

Easy Dose Pill Pouch.jpg

Stick the extra label on the pouch.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

With diabetes and other age related issues, I take pills three times a day. The largest quantity is in the evening. I did not want to carry the pill bottles for some and cardboard packs for others. Thirty days of medication is 13 oz. as packaged from the pharmacy. The pill bottles are not waterproof. I sorted the pills into daily quantities and placed each day's pills into those small pill ziplocks available in the pharmacy at Walmart. Thirty of those ziplocks with the daily doses inside completely filled a small plastic Jiff peanut butter jar. One bag went into my shirt pocket each morning. Empty bags went into my food trash bag at night. I kept the drugs in my cuben fiber food bag and hung it each night.

I printed the prescription numbers for all of the drugs, along with names of the over the counter drugs with dosage and ailment lists for the latter on waterproof paper and put them in my hiker wallet along with my emergency contact numbers. The pages for my trail guide were also printed from the PDF file onto that waterproof and untearable (TerraSlate) paper. FYI: I found that alcohol would wash away the laser print with a bit of scrubbing.

I figured that the chances of getting caught with my prescription drugs and being persecuted were small. Most law enforcement people are reasonable and remain polite if we are polite and well mannered. The drugs are common and I and/or my defense attorney could easily prove that I have the ailments and prescriptions, so no jury would ever convict me - if it were to ever get that far. A trip to any Walmart with a pharmacy would produce both the prescriptions and identify the pills. Having the bottles with the prescription label on the bottle does not prove that the pills in the bottle are the ones on the label. I have gotten through the US border with Mexico several times declaring the pills when packaged this way. They always asked me if I was carrying drugs. I always told them yes, prescription drugs for . . . They didn't even want to see them. They expect old people to be on medication. We are boring.

[QUOTE=atraildreamer;2029339]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    The smaller ziplocks can be purchased at arts and craft stores. Walmart has a smaller one that is 1" x 2".The pharmacys I go to not only put the script on the bottle but also print out another one along with the price and some other information.[/QUOTE

Easy-Dose Pill Pouches are available everywhere...about $2 for 100.

Easy Dose Pill Pouch.jpg

Stick the extra label on the pouch.
    I just love American merchandizing. In the arts and crafts department the little zip locks are bead pouches and in the RX department they are pill pouches. Same price too.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Journal Entries

I am trying to imagine packing 3 months of medications into the backpack. Perhaps this is where the bounce box comes in handy? Then I am still a little concerned about how I am to get the next three months worth. These are questions that I don't see answered in the journals. My guess has always been that other thru hikers don't need the meds that my husband and i will need to be carrying with us due to our various issues. I am thinking of forgetting the vitamins for the hike an hope the fresh air and walking due the work they were designed to accomplish.
    How do previous thru hikers that take meds handle keeping supplied thoughout the hike?

Journal Entries

I can see you have a problem. One of the biggest concerns is keeping the meds dry. I use a waterproof match case re purposed as a drug container and I use more than one depending on the ones I have to carry. Never had a problem. You may need a bear vault or a Nalgene container to carry all of these meds. I keep my cell phone in one along with other items that I need to keep dry. It works well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++