WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Wanna Bs View Post
    I am trying to imagine packing 3 months of medications into the backpack. Perhaps this is where the bounce box comes in handy? Then I am still a little concerned about how I am to get the next three months worth. These are questions that I don't see answered in the journals. My guess has always been that other thru hikers don't need the meds that my husband and i will need to be carrying with us due to our various issues. I am thinking of forgetting the vitamins for the hike an hope the fresh air and walking due the work they were designed to accomplish.
    How do previous thru hikers that take meds handle keeping supplied thoughout the hike?

Vitamins wouldn't be any issue as those are available in just about any larger store (from supermarkets to pharmacies to general merchandise stores - even places like $ General and such will carry some) and finding one of those every few weeks would be easy enough.

For the prescriptions the bounce would make sense (maybe keep one older bottle for each medicine and then split the 3 months worth that way, the current supply in the older bottle and the rest in the one it comes in)?

For the second 3 months, it would probably make sense to get all your prescriptions through one of the larger pharmacy chains or other store (Target, Walmart) that have branches everywhere, so that you could simply go to the nearest location (even if that meant taking a couple days off) and get the resupplies there, as they can transfer things from one store to another.

What's really funny is the previous posts about rules that require prescriptions in original labelled bottles when just about any store that has a pharmacy sells those boxes to separate medicines by day or meal. Seems strange that they are allowed to offer those when they obviously go against the rules?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    For the second 3 months, it would probably make sense to get all your prescriptions through one of the larger pharmacy chains or other store (Target, Walmart) that have branches everywhere, so that you could simply go to the nearest location (even if that meant taking a couple days off) and get the resupplies there, as they can transfer things from one store to another.
    The prescriptions can be transferred just as easily to a small independent pharmacy...probably quicker/better service also. Every small town may not have a chain pharmacy, but most have an independent.

Pharmacy's will mail to almost any address and should be able to do a partial fill. Doubt if they would ship to a post office or mail drop.
    Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

Images

I use squares of Glad Wrap and tie the day's pills up in it cutting off the extra. Only two of the 7 pills are RX, the others are supplements. One can take a photo of the prescription bottles for any LEO's that are anal about carrying in "original" bottles. Most people with any number of RX count out the pills in one of those 7 day pill cases, so just about any elder violates those prescriptions.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++