Default Gear Critique, Washington PCT

Hello!

I posted recently about a 5-day late August 2016 PCT section hike in Washington state. Here is my gear list thus far. I am familiar with the Southwest, but this is my first section hike in the Pacific Northwest. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions/critiques!

I'm trying to go as lightweight as possible, but am I packing enough (especially re: clothing)?

Clothing:
    Socks, Darn Tough, 3 pair
    Knee high compression stockings, 2 pair (medical need)
    Shoes, trail runners
    Gaiters, Dirty Girl, 1
    Mittens, 1
    Skull cap, 1
    Buff accessory, 1
    Sunglasses, 1
    Sports bra, 2
    Polyester t-shirt, 2
    Thermal shirt, 1
    Insulated jacket, 1
    Shell jacket, 1
    Underwear, 2
    Spandex tights, 2
    Thermal pants, 1
    Shell pants, 1
    Long underwear pants and long sleeve top (pajamas), 1

Shelter
    Tent
    Sleeping quilt
    Sleeping pad

Personal Care
    Ultralight towel
    Hand sanitizer
    Comb
    Extra hair tie
    Toothbrush and toothpaste (all in one)
    Shampoo and conditioner (all in one)
    Toilet paper
    Wilderness wipes
    Glasses and case
    Contacts and solution
    Sunscreen
    Chapstick
    Trowel

Gear
    Backpack, Osprey Exos 58
    Trekking poles, shockproof
    Water reservoir, 3L Platypus
    Water filter, Saywer mini
    Water bottle, Smart water 1L
    Fire starter kit
    First aid kit
    Aleve, ibuprofen
    Emergency divvy
    Headlamp
    Umbrella
    Duct tape
    Satellite communicator (GPS, texting, SOS), Delorme inReach SE 2-Way Satellite Communicator
    Extra lithium battery

Other
    Cell phone in Otter case, likely won't use

Oops! Typo. Meant to say "bivvy" but my computer keeps autocorrecting to "divvy" lol

I was in Washington last summer, end of July to beginning of August. I can't say about the entire PCT, but the mittens seem like overkill, unless you tend to run cold. Nights at altitude (6,000-6,500 feet) ran at about 48F.

My trip journal video has the major equipment and clothing that I used. Watch for it at the ending credits. Maybe that will help give you some hints.

Thank you for your input. I've been to several concerts at the Gorge Ampitheater in George, WA over Labor Day weekend, and every year, I'm cold enough for mittens and several layers...maybe it won't be quite as cold along the PCT?

Concerts.. except your walking. Uphill, both ways, all day. You will regulate your temp much higher as the calories burn.
    Shampoo for a 5 day hike? Ditch the Bivvy, even if its a SOL, you have a tent. Ditch the extra battery - it's only a 5 day hike. Ditch the duct tape, or wrap some around your hiking pole. Ditch the umbrella. Fill the 3L or the bottle, but there is a ton of water up there you wont need both. Sawyer Mini is painfully slow, but its a short hike so it should be fine.
    Whats a FA starter and FA Kit additional? Doubt those are needed, stuff for blisters and some Advil. ditch the rest.

You carry stuff you won't use. I would ditch the shampoo, the bivvy, and the umbrella, but if you're happy to carry them, go right ahead. Have you determined the all-up weight? That's the best motivator to leave stuff at home for me. It's wonderful how much clarity that weight can bring, making these decisions easier.

I wouldn't think you'd need the puffy jacket or thermal pants.

Hey there, your list looks pretty good I would say, although it is a bit on the heavy side. Washington can be really cold, so make sure you bring you puffy and potentially gloves. They might be unnecessary, but if you need them and don't have them, you're screwed! Even though it's August, being at elevation is COLD when you're not moving. I would recommend against the sawyer mini if you have not yet purchased it because it filters water painfully slow. I would get rid of some of your personal care amenities and maybe a pair of socks or two.

I wouldn't bring:
    Ultralight towel (not necessary)
    Comb (just put your hair up)
    Shampoo and conditioner (not necessary, don't pollute water)
    Wilderness wipes (what? just use toilet paper or a bandana to clean yourself)
    Contacts and solution (stick to your glasses)

++ New Posts ++