WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How did you get your dog back home?

We are a tto-young-to-rent-a-car couple attempting our first thru hike March 2016. We are split in two about bringing our girl. One of our concerns is getting her back home. We ask you, whiteblaze, how did you get your pup back home?

103 views and no answers. I'll take a shot.

The most practical way will be to fly. Most, if not all airlines will transport your dog. Very small dogs can be carried on, larger dogs go as cargo. Either way, you'll need to get a suitable pet carrier. There will likely be a significant fee for this. You'll need to check which airlines fly out of Bangor or Portland and see what rules they have and what the costs will be. One problem is you won't know very far in advance when you'll want to fly out and last minute tickets can cost a small fortune.

The only other option would be have a family member or friend fly up, rent a car and drive you home which will also be insanely expensive.

Since your on the fence about this I'll add: If your on a budget (and who isn't) bringing your dog along will strain it to the limit. It's a significant extra expense - and responsibility.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Buy a beater car, drive it home, sell it.
    Dont have to be picky , find something you know you can resell for same price a week later.

Hassle, yes.

But only costs you a small amt tax on a $1000 car, and gas.
    Do it right and you could break even or make change.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 01-01-2016 at 23:21.

Does Greyhound allow dogs in the cargo hold??

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Does Greyhound allow dogs in the cargo hold??
    I doubt it. Would be too hot or cold, and they may suffocate from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Greyhound will allow service animals, but they have to fit on your lap. They can not take up another seat or use the aisle. I can't imagine a 3 day bus trip with a dog on my lap, the ride is bad enough as it is. They can refuse the dog if they deem it is a risk to other passengers, can't be controlled, or is in anyway annoying. If your dog starts to act up, you could be put off the bus on the side of the highway.

Didn't think about family meeting us up there but yes also insanely expensive.

Wise words, thank you very much.

I suppose she will sit this trip out. We will be sending her to the west coast to live with her uncle. She will get to travel in her own way!

Have you taken into account the places where dogs are not allowed on the trail and have to be shuttled around and kenneled while you are hiking the no pet section?

Rolls
    Rolls down the hill, Kanardly hike up the other hill
    May all your hikes have clear skies, fair winds and no rocks under your pad.

In response to the misinformation about Greyhound and service dogs - and I don't think it is relevant because I don't think this is a service dog or the owner would already know - it's not up to Greyhound to allow them. They are required to do so. And they cann't require they be on a lap. Service dogs go on the floor unless they are tiny dogs, like some of the hearing dogs. There is generally room under the seat in fron of you if there is no wheel, and they can theoretically require you keep your dog in your own space, but they can't enforce that unless they decide to put dividers on the floor under the seats. In other words, they can't legally kick you out because they created a situation with rules that one can't reasonably comply with.
    Re behaviour - service dogs *must* be under control, and yes, can be kicked out if they are not. I would question whether a dog that is running around out of control is a trained service dog.
    Again, not relevant here, but I didn't want a piece of misinformation out there uncorrected.

Amtrack has been advirtising that you can bring your pets on some trains. With you in the car, not baggage. If Amtrack is an option, you might want to check out their requirements.

Images

Not sure how "too young to rent a car" is as many people often think under 25 can't rent. But Alamo will rent to 21 and older with a $75 surcharge. Typically one way rentals from Portland or Boston to St. Pete would be in the $125/day range + a one-time $75 young renter surcharge. Figure 3 days rental + $200 or so in fuel + tolls and you're in the $700-$800 range. But then you still have the issues and costs of boarding and shuttling in GSMNP and Baxter.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 01-02-2016 at 18:22.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    In response to the misinformation about Greyhound and service dogs - and I don't think it is relevant because I don't think this is a service dog or the owner would already know - it's not up to Greyhound to allow them. They are required to do so. And they cann't require they be on a lap. .
    Yes, they can and they do. It has to go on your lap or under your feet and if you've ever ridden Greyhound, you know there is barely enough room for your feet. I got that information directly from the Greyhound web site. Need I go back there and cut and paste? This might not be relevant to the OP, but others with the same question might reference this thread.

Glad you're thinking about it now rather than waiting until you and your dog are in a bad spot.

Images

How do you get the pup to the Trail?

Check wit car rental companies...most do not allow animals.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adriana View Post
    Check wit car rental companies...most do not allow animals.
    The way I read the agreements, animals are allowed, there is just a $200 cleaning fee if they make a mess or shed.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

The way I've been looking at it is essentially she is a third body coming with us, who also isn't bringing any kinds of funds with her. We support her here at home but kenneling her is something we've never done and are not comfortable doing. Also because she wouldn't be able to "complete" the trail, it just doesn't seem worth it... We will miss her company so much but it seems selfish and expensive to bring her along.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rstar View Post
    The way I've been looking at it is essentially she is a third body coming with us, who also isn't bringing any kinds of funds with her. We support her here at home but kenneling her is something we've never done and are not comfortable doing. Also because she wouldn't be able to "complete" the trail, it just doesn't seem worth it... We will miss her company so much but it seems selfish and expensive to bring her along.
    I, and probably many other dog owners and lovers, think that even though you'll miss her you've made a good decision.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls Kanardly View Post
    Have you taken into account the places where dogs are not allowed on the trail and have to be shuttled around and kenneled while you are hiking the no pet section?

Rolls
    Dogs are allowed on 100% of the trail. Finding somewhere to stay is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    Amtrack has been advirtising that you can bring your pets on some trains. With you in the car, not baggage. If Amtrack is an option, you might want to check out their requirements.
    Amtrak does allow Service Dog's only, and only on 1 train. Besides that 1 train you can not bring a Service Animal on boards.

We went through this entire process, and the cheapest option was renting a car.
    AT15
    OT15

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++